IGNORED

I need some advice

Gary N.

My insurance company has made me a settlement offer on my wrecked '03 RSV. I also have the option of buying the bike back. The only things that are salvageable are the engine, (still runs good) seats, trunk, (has two repairable cracks) saddle bags, (need to be painted) rear fender and all the parts on the rear 1/2 of the bike. The bag rails are usable but would need to be re-chromed which would cost more than buying new ones. They could by painted I suppose.

My question is what is the market for these parts and how much money are they worth? I know the trunk and saddle bags would probably sell pretty fast but what about the engine? I would probably keep the extra wheels but the front one would have to be checked really well for damage.

This is just my opinion, so any and everyone take it for just that. Let it go, I dont think that you'll recoup any real monies from the bike. Myself, I wouldn't want it around to remind me of the accident, but that is just me. If you feel that it will help you heal, then by all means keep it, otherwise I would let it go and close that chapter.

Guest tx2sturgis

Back in 1998, I had a bad wreck on my DynaGlide. Lots of hurt body parts, and bent and broken bike parts too.

I kept some of the parts, like the bashed tank, and scuffed fenders. I was always planning on making the tank into some kind of lamp...just never did. I'm not the type to get weepy looking at wrecked sheet metal, but unless you really make an effort to sell the stuff, it seems to always get put on the back burner, so to speak.

If you really want to keep that stuff around, and sell it piece-meal out the door, then go for it. But if your like me, and would rather ride then sell stuff, your better off letting them keep it.

Another option is to make a deal with a salvage yard. Your call.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, another chapter is closed. Since I don't have all of my go power back yet and my enthusiasm for many things just isn't the same anymore, I decided to take your advice and let the bike go.

They came to pick it up this afternoon and very unceremoniously pulled it up on a flat bed, skidding it up the deck on it's side. I'm glad it's gone and I don't have to look at it anymore.

Lookin' forward to meeting you out on a ride sometime Gary, we've all been through this with you, albeit from a distance, and I'm glad things are getting better. Just one more stage to go thru.

Dan

Well, another chapter is closed. Since I don't have all of my go power back yet and my enthusiasm for many things just isn't the same anymore, I decided to take your advice and let the bike go.

They came to pick it up this afternoon and very unceremoniously pulled it up on a flat bed, skidding it up the deck on it's side. I'm glad it's gone and I don't have to look at it anymore.

Gary - That's a good move - make some good new memories in time!!! I know I've started to re-live again - you will too when you are ready.

Hope to visit with you some time!

Eugene