IGNORED

VideoArizona,, did you make it home yet?? You ok out there?

cowpuc

The V-Max rear will make a huge difference. To take full advantage of it though, you will also need to install a new ignition module so that you can raise the rev limiter. When I put the V-Max rear on the '99, I loved it but found that I was then hitting the rev limiter way too quickly. I installed the ignition module and raised the limiter to 7500 RPM and that made a huge difference. The next step, and I never got around to it, is to install heavier valve springs so that you can raise it higher yet. Do those three things, and you would have a tight race.

If you are going to go as far as replacing the valve springs, Is the V-Max cam a drop in? I know that the heads do not swap out, but do the cams swap? As long as you are there?

As for the cruise dropping out with a good gust, If the pivot for your clutch lever is worn it can let the clutch lever move enough to open the switch that turns off the cruise. Having leather wraps or tassels will make it worse since they add wind resistance to push harder on the lever. This is easy to test, when you see a truck coming hold the cruise lever forward with your finger so it can not move and see if that fixes the problem. It is a cheap test that has the advantage of going for a long test ride.

Edited by Flyinfool

• 7 months later...

Geesh, just dawned on me I never replied to the thoughts about the cruise control.

Checked all the cables and they are fine. The cruise system is working well.

I think the problem is really simple....since the cruise kicks off when your speed drops more than 5mph, that was the problem. Those large dogbone trucks coming at me on a 2 lane road at 65mph....would knock my speed down instantly enough top kick off the cruise. Never had it happen before or since that trip. But the headwinds were coming from the SW...which was the same direction the air wave in front of the trucks was coming from. So double dose of wind...like a wall of water.

Only happened on one stretch of 2 lane in Kansas...westbound.

I haven't swapped out the rear end yet with a VMax...but will do as soon as life slows down a bit.

Thanks for the kinds word...about the trip. I wish I had taken more pictures...just to busy enjoying the ride. Most of the time I forgot about taking pictures....

Sigh.