IGNORED

All for nothing

Freebird

The battery on the Slingshot seems to go dead after sitting for about a week or two if not driven. I don't know if that is normal or if there is a problem but I'll look at it later. In the meantime, I decided yesterday to install a connector on it to plug in a battery tender when it's not being used. I do that on all my bikes and etc. anyway. So I went to Walmart to pick up a connector, removed the cover for the battery compartment, figured out the best way to get to a connection to install the connector, etc. They don't make it easy to get to on the Slingshot. Finally found a place and got it all hooked up. Then started looking for the best place to let it exit the compartment and make it easy to get to. Decided on where I thought would be the perfect place. Found a couple of nylon ties to secure it.

Reached under the frame bar in the location that I had decided on and guess what? That is when I found the existing battery tender connector that the previous owner had already installed. Grrrrr....... At least he and I agreed on the best place to put it. Then had to remove my new one and re-assemble everything.

The battery on the Slingshot seems to go dead after sitting for about a week or two if not driven. I don't know if that is normal or if there is a problem but I'll look at it later. In the meantime, I decided yesterday to install a connector on it to plug in a battery tender when it's not being used. I do that on all my bikes and etc. anyway. So I went to Walmart to pick up a connector, removed the cover for the battery compartment, figured out the best way to get to a connection to install the connector, etc. They don't make it easy to get to on the Slingshot. Finally found a place and got it all hooked up. Then started looking for the best place to let it exit the compartment and make it easy to get to. Decided on where I thought would be the perfect place. Found a couple of nylon ties to secure it.

Reached under the frame bar in the location that I had decided on and guess what? That is when I found the existing battery tender connector that the previous owner had already installed. Grrrrr....... At least he and I agreed on the best place to put it. Then had to remove my new one and re-assemble everything.

You wanna know what those Canuckians up north of ya would say about that brother?,,,,,,,, I knew ya would, eh...

They would say,,,,,, the moral of that story right there is that you can't teach an old dog new tricks and if ya even try he will growl at you,, eh!!!:big-grin-emoticon:

Don my bike does the same thing, no problem with battery if I ride or start it every day or two. If it sets for a week it is too low to start.

I'm thinking that this has something to do with some LED halo light rings that the previous owner installed. They look pretty cool. They are controlled by a remote and there are settings to choose between a lot of different colors or automatically sequence through the different colors with optional transition effects between them. The thing is, he ran a hot wire directly to the battery to the LED controller. I've found them on twice already. I will rewire them through a relay that is only on when the slingshot is running or at least the key on. That way I know that they won't get turned on accidentally. Not 100% sure that is the problem but it needs to be done.

I would bet that is at least part of the problem.

That remote has to be on all the time so it can see the signal if it is ever sent, that will require some power.

I don't know if the battery dying after sitting for a couple of weeks in normal for a Slingshot, but it should not be normal for any vehicle of any type. My bikes, cars and trucks can all sit completely ignored for months and will fire rite up when asked to.

Connect up an amp meter and start pulling fuses to see which one(s) drop the amps down. Don't forget to pull any inline fuses for any add-ons.

I bet you can get someone to do this this coming weekend.........