IGNORED

Memorial Day Colorado Road Trip

Chaharly

Just wanted to share that me and my dad are heading out this Thursday for Colorado and we wont be back until Wednesday. He's gonna be taking my brother's 89 Wing and I'll be taking the 88 Venture of course. We're going to get hotels because my dad, being 64 says he's too old to camp, which will be fine with me. I told him he'll have to buy the hotel room with the hot-tub on the balcony over-looking the mountains!:stickpoke: We go out to the hills together usually every year, and we've been to the Ozarks together but never Colorado. We're meeting in Norfolk, NE and we're pretty much just following the wind on any plans! I got the Elite 4 mounted on the front and have an ounce of balancing beads in it. We'll see if I can get more than 7k miles out of it before a nail kills it as well... I have a temporary patch for my fuse box that I'm going to have to fix when I get back, one of the tabs broke for the headlight fuse, so I've got it bypassed with a spade type fuse for now, but when we get back I'll definitely replace the tube style fuse box. All I have left before we go is an oil change, gap the spark plugs, and while I'm in there I'll synch the carbs. I'll have it all cleaned up before we go, but I can tell I'm rambling now... :680:

I'm just excited to rock and roll boys!:guitarist 2:

Just wanted to share that me and my dad are heading out this Thursday for Colorado and we wont be back until Wednesday. He's gonna be taking my brother's 89 Wing and I'll be taking the 88 Venture of course. We're going to get hotels because my dad, being 64 says he's too old to camp, which will be fine with me. I told him he'll have to buy the hotel room with the hot-tub on the balcony over-looking the mountains!:stickpoke: We go out to the hills together usually every year, and we've been to the Ozarks together but never Colorado. We're meeting in Norfolk, NE and we're pretty much just following the wind on any plans! I got the Elite 4 mounted on the front and have an ounce of balancing beads in it. We'll see if I can get more than 7k miles out of it before a nail kills it as well... I have a temporary patch for my fuse box that I'm going to have to fix when I get back, one of the tabs broke for the headlight fuse, so I've got it bypassed with a spade type fuse for now, but when we get back I'll definitely replace the tube style fuse box. All I have left before we go is an oil change, gap the spark plugs, and while I'm in there I'll synch the carbs. I'll have it all cleaned up before we go, but I can tell I'm rambling now... :680:

Wow...have a great trip, Dad and you! Ride safe! :) I concur...snap lot's of photos and post to the Picture Forum!

Took a 9 day trip to CO last Memorial day, have an outstanding trip!

OUTSTANDING CHA!!!!!!!!!:dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::clap2::clap2::clap2::dancefool::dancefool::thumbsup:

Give that pa of yours a HUGE slap on the back and tell him thats from Puc cause he thinks your Dad is one AWESOME Pop for doing what he is about to do!!!!!!!!!! Here's a :bighug:and a slap on your back too for the same cause brother = a dad and his son out CTFW together:biker::biker: - :beer: it dont get no better than that ya lop eared varmint!!!

Have fun, enjoy the moment as they each present themselves and most of all,,,,, grab every second of joy out of being with your Dad Cha = it dont get no better than that my friend!!!:thumbsup:

What time of day are you planning to be in Norfolk area? That's 2 hours from here and I don't start my job till June 1st. I bet they sell lunch type food in Norfolk

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

We're gonna leave around noon on Thursday it's looking like. I live in Wayne which is 29 miles east of Norfolk. They got decent bbq in Norfolk too!

What time of day are you planning to be in Norfolk area? That's 2 hours from here and I don't start my job till June 1st. I bet they sell lunch type food in Norfolk

We'll be meeting there about noon. I'm sure it wont be hard to talk my old man into eating before we go! I actually live in wayne which is 30 miles east. I still gotta see your ride!!

OUTSTANDING CHA!!!!!!!!!:dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::clap2::clap2::clap2::dancefool::dancefool::thumbsup:

Give that pa of yours a HUGE slap on the back and tell him thats from Puc cause he thinks your Dad is one AWESOME Pop for doing what he is about to do!!!!!!!!!! Here's a :bighug:and a slap on your back too for the same cause brother = a dad and his son out CTFW together:biker::biker: - :beer: it dont get no better than that ya lop eared varmint!!!

Have fun, enjoy the moment as they each present themselves and most of all,,,,, grab every second of joy out of being with your Dad Cha = it dont get no better than that my friend!!!:thumbsup:

I most definitely will give him that slap on the back for ya! and I have to say that I totally agree with you, he's and awesome dude and I'm lucky to have him. He's the one who got me into the world of CTFW from before I can remember. I remember being the only kid who could say he saw Mount Rushmore from the back of a motorcycle. :scared:

Time is short, and I understand that many people either don't get along with their parents, or even don't have one around anymore, and I'm blessed to have and love both my parents! We're gonna have a blast out there puc!

Be safe! I won't make it up this morning for lunch. Mostly because I don't want to distract you while you guys are getting ready to leave and stuff. Too many important things going on in your brain when you trying to get everything set and the anticipation of just being on the road starts to get overwhelming! Have a great ride looks like around Nebraska it's going to be in the 90s all weekend.

Anything absolutely must see out there? I've been out that way twice, but never for such a long period

We were up in the Fort Collins area and took a day to ride up Poudre River valley to the pass (10K+ feet), still had snow, real nice ride up. also went to Estes Park near Denver, it had just opened for the holiday weekend and the pass was still closed, but the views from the pullovers on the way up are spectacular. We were in CO for 4 days, the rest of the trip was traveling. don't try to see too much, soak in what you can get to, CO will always be there. Have Fun!

Been through there in late September and full autumn glory. You’re in a for a real treat! ENJOY & Safe Travels!

Lots and lots of GREAT CTFW in Colorado but one of my favorite, sometimes missed by others and almost NEVER camped on by others spots there is in Colorada is what I call the Grand Mesa overlook.. Its a mountain top that overlooks Grand Junction and the desert region below.. It's about 12 miles of improved gravel to get out to but DEFINITELY well worth the journey IMHO... Night sky's like none other and not to bad of temps because of the warm air coming off the desert floor below...

Get to Grand Mesa and ask about the pathway to the overlook!! GREAT RIDE UP AND DOWN TOO!!

Lots and lots of GREAT CTFW in Colorado but one of my favorite, sometimes missed by others and almost NEVER camped on by others spots there is in Colorada is what I call the Grand Mesa overlook.. Its a mountain top that overlooks Grand Junction and the desert region below.. It's about 12 miles of improved gravel to get out to but DEFINITELY well worth the journey IMHO... Night sky's like none other and not to bad of temps because of the warm air coming off the desert floor below...

Get to Grand Mesa and ask about the pathway to the overlook!! GREAT RIDE UP AND DOWN TOO!!

Puc! That's gonna be a ride for another day. My old man is NOT the gravel type... especially on his 1500 Goldwing!

Just a few pictures from my trip, I'll post a couple of YouTube vids as well that come from Snapchat. We had an awesome time, left Thursday and were home by 1 Tuesday. Had an absolutely awesome ride with my dad. We always get along real well and have a pretty similar riding style. That is of course if I don't go chase some sport tourers doing 70 around some of those 35mph curves! That he was pretty upset about, but I gotta show them boys up in the mountains that just because I'm on an old touring bike doesn't mean its a lug. I mean its a first gen Venture for God sake! We stayed in Ft. Collins the first night and went up and around the dam since we didn't really go off a map I cant exactly remember all of the roads that we went on but we went over the pass at the Rocky Mountain National Park and got a few good shots of some elk. I've been over this pass before and lost my hat, but It didn't happen this time! We stayed in Breckenridge the second night and had a beautiful view of the snow covered mountains from the hotel. We ate at Moes Original BBq. They real excellent ribs. I have to say my favorite mountain highway that we road through was Colorado 133. We got on highway 82 from Glenwood Springs (I-70 is an amazing ride through there as well, at least for interstate. Just stay out during Memorial Day Weekend) and head east until you get to 133. Once your cross the summit at I think 10,500ft you cross over to what looks like an entirely different planet. I've never come over so many hills saying WOW in my life. From there we got down into the desert side of things where the temps went in the high 70s in the mountains to nearly 100 in Hotchkiss. While your on that highway 133 head east over to Marble. its a beautiful county road that leads to this really neat little town down in the mountains where they have a super sick bbq and bar. It was 3 in the afternoon so it was too late for lunch and too early for beer for us, so we did a U-Turn and headed back to 133.

All of that state is amazing to ride through including the desert side. We stayed in Ouray, which is the start of the Million Dollar Highway, which is no doubt beautiful, but IMHO definitely over-rated. We took US160 east to Pegosa Springs and went up the Wolf Creek Pass WAY ON UP the Great Divide, trucking on dooooowwwn the other siiide! Wow that was a blast! We went through a fertile basin between Alamosa and Villa Grove where they grow potatoes and alfalfa, but due to the drought they haven't even planted half the fields. A lot of the streams were dry as well.. If Colorado doesn't get a bunch of snow next year the Farmers and Ranchers are gonna be in trouble!! The last super memorable road that we went on was County Road 62 from Grant Colorado to Georgetown on I 70. It takes you over the Guanella Pass which just so happens to be at 11,669Ft That was one of the most amazing roads that I've been on and when the 10mph switch backs say 10mph.. THEY MEAN IT!

I wouldn't want to be on any other bike than my first gen! I got mileage anywhere from 30.8mpg, running 70 against a Nebraska headwind up to 45 cruising through the mountains, and my dad on my brother's 89 GL1500 with 93,000 miles got 28.5 on that same stretch I got 30.8 and he got over 50 in the mountains!!! They knew what they were doing when they made these bikes! I love my first gen because it really eats those corners well. There were a lot of times on those switchbacks that I would lose dad while just cruising, and I have to think its because of the overall length of the Goldwing. I was racing with the sports bikes and keeping my own as well as impressing a few of them. Then to top it all off when we were riding back the last 2 days we got rained on and I could sit comfortably in the rain and literally the only thing wet on either of us was our 3/4 shell helmets and our shoes. (My shoes AND socks). We had the CB intercom in use whenever we wore helmets (when Nebraska forced us, or when going through labor day traffic in Denver which is not a bad time to wear a helmet IMHO). I had my phone hooked up to the bike and had my GPS music and podcasts the whole time and the best thing was these old carbureted bikes ran better than the new carbed adventure bikes up at altitude. NOW THAT BEING SAID the altitude certainly had an effect on our machine's performance, Idle was down and the bikes were pigging out on all the rich gas, but to pull 45 and him to pull 50 while not running at peak performance says something about these two bikes as touring machines.

4.jpg25.jpg20.jpg15.jpg14.jpg13.jpg11.jpg9.jpg8.jpg7.jpg5.jpg1.jpg2.jpg27.jpg