IGNORED

2008 VentureRider Rally concerns

Guest ReinyRooster

Well, Brad, if you and Lonna are there - how could it NOT be a huge success? :whistling:Thanks for your interjection. No one interjects with more style and dignity than you. :-)

I'm glad to hear the rally is still on - and I'm not trying kill it. If anything, I'm trying to chide folks into going. I just didn't think it's fair to blame all the members if it got canceled or scaled back. If the Canucks aren't gonna chat it up, maybe resurecting this thread will create some BUZZZZ. Ya gotta admit, Brad - it's been pretty quiet to the north. I thought this rally was a secret......or maybe by invitation only. I've seen funerals promoted better.:rotf:

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Brad, if you and Lonna are there - how could it NOT be a huge success? :whistling:Thanks for your interjection. No one interjects with more style and dignity than you. :-)

I'm glad to hear the rally is still on - and I'm not trying kill it. If anything, I'm trying to chide folks into going. I just didn't think it's fair to blame all the members if it got canceled or scaled back. If the Canucks aren't gonna chat it up, maybe resurecting this thread will create some BUZZZZ. Ya gotta admit, Brad - it's been pretty quiet to the north. I thought this rally was a secret......or maybe by invitation only. I've seen funerals promoted better.:rotf:

Dam Red I'm sure glad to see you back on the forum, it sure has been quiet around here.

No excitement at all since Dallas left. Keep em hoping.

Stay safe on your trip,

Jane says "HI"

Jerry

In case some have forgotten, this is NOT a Canadian Rally, it's an "International Venture Rider Rally" that happens to be in Canada.

As far as I know, most of the Canadians who have participated in any of the U.S. rallies are also participating in this one, along with a few who have never participated in a V.R. rally.

With about 5000 members here I would guess that we would only have about 10% who are active on the site. Out of that 500 maybe 10% to 20% who you might expect to show up at any V.R. event. That's 50 to 100 members. Don has about 100 members and guests coming to his place this weekend.

People have lives and can't always do what maybe they would like to do for a whole lot of reasons. I'm sure there are just as many Canadians who won't go to the States as Americans that won't go to Canada for reasons only they know.

As far as the entry fee being too high. It's not unreasonable. Add up what you spent to go to any other event. Meals, T-shirts, hall rental, etc. These things are expensive to put on.

Preregistration is the only way to get accurate numbers so you can do some planning.

As for not talking up the event, who's fault is that? The planners were busy planning so I guess it was up to the other 4000 plus members to do the talking. The event was announced many months ago. Everyone who is active on the site should have known about it.

Anyone who has put an event on similar to this knows how much work it is and how frustrating it can be. The Kitchener area members deserve a lot of credit for all their hard work. Those who complain and have never put an event like this on have no room to do so.

This rally is going to be great no matter how many show up. Those that go will have a good time as always and those that don't go, we'll miss you.

Red,

I do appreciate where your coming from Bud, and I know you well enough to know it's stated to do just what you have mentioned...spur the interest. All of us old timers know nobody does that better than you :whistling:

Lots of stumbling blocks in putting one of these on, I know, Colorado just about pushed me over the edge. Getting it back up top here will do nothing but help it and hopefully push attendance up. Like it's been mentioned, it's great to see you back on the site. It has been a bit quiet and your just the guy to get it stirred up :banana: So thanks for your effort and Thank you to everybody that is involved and helping this event take flight...it will be a great time no matter what happens :happy34:

I try to attend as many functions as I can. Holidays are usually not a good time for me as I have a wife that doesn't ride. As with last years rally as soon as I saw that it was around the week that we do family vacation I just knew that I couldn't attend so I stopped looking to the threads. No need to rub it in to myself. I go to these thinks to meet members and to ride, so the T-shirts and the pins are not important to me desides they are usually Black or grey like every other biker event. Maybe one year it will be moved to another month and I'll show up.

Dam Red I'm sure glad to see you back on the forum, it sure has been quiet around here.

No excitement at all since Dallas left. Keep em hoping.

Stay safe on your trip,

Jane says "HI"

Jerry

I'm like a red-headed ninja - I pop out of the shadows & strike when you least expect it! :rotf: But comparing me to Dallas - OUCH! That's harsh, bro, harsh!

Guest ReinyRooster

All I can say is that's it's difficult to keep a thread going sometimes....on more then I occasion I have started a thread regarding this rally and have rec'd very poor response and the thread dies.

I appreciate everyone's comments and agree with Brad....this thing is far from over. Yamaha Motors is coming...I assume they are bringing a few bikes to show off...maybe for us to ride...Plastex is coming to do a demo on plastic repair and will have their product available to us.

Those that come will have a great time ....those that don't will miss a great time.

I am however truly saddened and disappointed by the comments regarding "clicks" and the whole separate section with a password issue....this is NOT a click, it was simply a section put in place at MY request...no no else's...the one and only purpose was so that the committee organizing the event could hold their discussion in one place and see each other's responses so that we could more easily discuss and agree on things for the rally. I fail to understand how that becomes a "click" and has offended anyone. It's disheartening when a small group is working their butts off to try and make this thing happen and then it seems they have to answer as to how they are doing it.

The price is the most every charged for a rally...no question....HOWEVER that price includes all your breakfasts, your T-shirt and your wrap-up dinner. No other rally had that all lumped together...do the math and I would suggest it works out to about the same cost! My thought as to why we included breakfast was that it would give us the ability, as we did in Colordao, to have us all eating breakfast together so we could meet, chat, discuss the days rides and then head off together. Seems some don't like that idea. Oh well....can't please everyone.

Those that come will have fun...

Hey Gary,

I forgot how sensitive you Canadians are - don't get your undies in a knot. I'm not complaining - I just stated my opinion as to the reasons for the "concerns" on registration for this event. Take it or leave it. Unlike facts, opinions are neither true or false, they are just one person's perspective. I'm just telling you what I see, the way I see it, amigo. And here's some more of my helpful insights -

In case some have forgotten, this is NOT a Canadian Rally, it's an "International Venture Rider Rally" that happens to be in Canada.

Ummmm.............if it's planned & held in Canada - that makes it CANADIAN! Nothing wrong with that, I have several friends that are Canadian. And you're paper money is really cool!

As far as I know, most of the Canadians who have participated in any of the U.S. rallies are also participating in this one, along with a few who have never participated in a V.R. rally.

With about 5000 members here I would guess that we would only have about 10% who are active on the site. Out of that 500 maybe 10% to 20% who you might expect to show up at any V.R. event. That's 50 to 100 members. Don has about 100 members and guests coming to his place this weekend.

People have lives and can't always do what maybe they would like to do for a whole lot of reasons. I'm sure there are just as many Canadians who won't go to the States as Americans that won't go to Canada for reasons only they know.

There is always a small, core group in any organzition that can be counted on to plan and attend events. I F the attendence is low, I don't think it has anything to do with Canada-phobia.

As far as the entry fee being too high. It's not unreasonable. Add up what you spent to go to any other event. Meals, T-shirts, hall rental, etc. These things are expensive to put on.

Preregistration is the only way to get accurate numbers so you can do some planning.

I personally never said a word about the fee - doesn't seem unreasonable to me. But these things don't have to be expensive to put on - that was one of my earlier points. And there needs to be clear alternatives for those of us that could not attend the whole thing, or prefer to be more spontaneous on our rides.

As for not talking up the event, who's fault is that? The planners were busy planning so I guess it was up to the other 4000 plus members to do the talking.

HUH? What do the other 4000 members know about this area? Part of the planning is promotion - what's the draw to Kitchnererer? You can plan an event to death, but if nobody creates some buzz, don't be susprised if you don't get the numbers.

The event was announced many months ago. Everyone who is active on the site should have known about it.

I KNEW about it, I just could not easily find any information about it. And I guess since since I'm not an active member - I don't count? Point being - the information should be easy to find for new and not-so-new-but-not-very-active-members, too. Or am I the only 1?

Anyone who has put an event on similar to this knows how much work it is and how frustrating it can be. The Kitchener area members deserve a lot of credit for all their hard work.

I agree.

Those who complain and have never put an event like this on have no room to do so.

I disagree. Don't confuse a differing opinion with complaining. I'm just telling you straight up what I see. I maybe the only one that sees it that way, but I doubt it. Sometimes the brightest light shines in from outside the room. Listening & being open to incorporating the opinions & suggestions of others helps people feel involved and invested in an event. If all the planning is being done by a small, isolated group, then the rest of us feel left out right off the bat.

This rally is going to be great no matter how many show up.

That's the attitude to have. It only take 2 people to have a party, imho. Provided 1 of them is NOT Canadian. :rotf::rotf:

Those that go will have a good time as always and those that don't go, we'll miss you.

Awwwww, gee thanks.

All jokes aside, I do hope you have a good turnout and great time. I would have liked to attended, but family supersedes the VR.

Well Red, opinions are like belly buttons, everybody has one.

We have a little more "earthy" variation of that expression down here that I prefer. :whistling:

You gave yours and I gave mine and you gave yours again. How many belly buttons do you have?

:rotf::rotf: How many more do you need? :080402gudl_prv:

Obviously, you don't know me very well, eh? Never let it be said that a gauntlet was thrown down that I did NOT pick up.

So with all this jibber-jabber - I still haven't seen anyone start a thread on what is in or around Kitchenenererer besides a VR rally with low pre-registration numbers! Free beer? Fine women? Twisty roads? A 4lb. steak for $2.99? The world's 2nd biggest ball of twine? The best brook trout fishing in the almost-free world ? A bonfire the size of the Empire State building? WHAT???

Ya'll went to a lot of work to put this thing together, now grab the bull by the horns and talk it up! Lie if you have to. :rotf:

Quote "Like my buddy (White-haired :backinmyday:) Owl, I will not be able to attend either as I have have not yet become independantly wealthy like him." Quote

Jeez Red, if I am an example of independant wealth, I'd sure hate to see the poor folk.......:rotfl:

Have been reading this thread, and it finally came to me why Red1 has been gone from the sire for such an extended time. He has been out in the woods looking for a HUGE stick :stirthepot:. And looks like he found it.

Actually, this is now more like the majority of the threads we used to have back before we became so large. Of course we can now expect Brad T to jump in here about the large number of Ontario members :rasberry: and how they have the most members of any state or province. But what the h... We all saw how good he could count at Potato Creek... (Where I was robbed :crying:).

Like Red said though, any event has to be talked up... and unforetunately a lot of us were remiss on keeping the 2008 Rally threads active.

As far as the cost of the event. I believe the cost of this years event is right in line with last year in Colorado. If I remember corretly, breakfast at the Lodge was $5.00 per plate. The final dinner was either $20 or $25.00 each. The rental on the Lodge was $600.00. Can't remember the price of theT's and the patchs. So, excluding the price on the T's and patchs, it came out to about $60.00. The ony difference was that it was going out a little bit at a time.

For the friendships new and renewed, that is a cheap price to pay in my opinion. And, in the final analysis, it's the ride and the riders that make these events.

Now, since I am not able to attend this year, I'll shut up and sit down.

But you go Red1......

:15_8_211[1]:

..........................Well, I am one of the many who don't post very much. I do however try to read the posts as oftern as i can. This is the first I read of the event. But after all the guff Red1 has gotten for his OP{INION, I have to say I wil not be coming, but not because I can't . Go back and read all the posts at once and see how silly this is. This may be why more people don't post. They may not want their OPINION challenged...................................

Hey Lucky if my posts on this thread have offended you or Red or anyone else then I apologize profusely. I personally don't care whether you or he or anyone else comes to the Rally or not. I'm going and will have a great time with friends.

I hate seeing the efforts of the organizers not being appreciated by people who offer no other help than to complain.

As for not knowing about the event, I don't know what to say. I see a banner at the top of my screen every time I come here, telling me about it.

I wanted to come, I haven't been to a VR rally yet for one reason, for another, I was looking forward to meeting some of our members from Canada. Unfortunately work issues and the need to take care of some family issues precludes me from doing so.

I appreciate all the work that has been done to get this rally going, wish I could be there.

WOW!!!

I joined this site in November 2007 and knew about the rally right away from the posts and the banner at the top of the page. I recently signed my wife and I to attend the rally to meet some new friends and to enjoy what we like to do...riding on our RSMV. I do hope some cooler heads prevail here among all of us here and get together and have a good time. To me, it dosen't make a difference where the rally is being held, here in Canada or the USA, if I can make it I will, if I can't, too bad for me! I see the numbers for attending are up, so no matter how many others join us in July, I know my wife and I will have a fantastic time.

Just my :2cents: worth. See ya all in Kitchener.:sign woo hoo:

Actually, this is now more like the majority of the threads we used to have back before we became so large. Of course we can now expect Brad T to jump in here about the large number of Ontario members :rasberry: and how they have the most members of any state or province. But what the h... We all saw how good he could count at Potato Creek... (Where I was robbed :crying:).

You needed a hair cut anyway, but the numbers added up. You just ran out of fingers and toes. Besides it was the other Brad that started the ranting.

Brad

Hey Guys,

Looks like there has been a lot of work going on in the background that the organizers haven't been beating their drums about. My congratulations on the planning and efforts for what looks to be a great event for all who can attend.

I kept seeing the banner in the upper corner but didn't really understand what it was advertising. Talking up this thread has however, caught my attention and now I'm in the know.

I guess an event is always made up of organizers and those who help to advertise it, no matter whether it may sound like complaints or criticism. It gets attention!

I unfortunately won't be able to attend having already made plans to participate in The American Legion Legacy Run from Indy to Phoenix in August. Living in Germany, it would be hard for me to be in the States from July to end of September (doing 3-4 weeks trip from Mexico to Canada after the Run).

I wish all of the organizers and participants lots of success and fun and a safe trip there and back.

God bless and keep safe.

Guest Swifty
Hey Guys,

I wish all of the organizers and participants lots of success and fun and a safe trip there and back.

God bless and keep safe.

Hey Ron

Sounds like you got some great plans of your own. Good luck and thanks for dropping by to give us your well wishes.

All I can say is that's it's difficult to keep a thread going sometimes....on more then I occasion I have started a thread regarding this rally and have rec'd very poor response and the thread dies.

I think this is part of the loss that comes from the site and membership getting so big. There are so many new posts every day that a thread quickly moves to page 2 then 3 - sometimes with 24 hours. Before the day is done, the thread is lost and many have never seen it.

I am however truly saddened and disappointed by the comments regarding "clicks" and the whole separate section with a password issue....this is NOT a click, it was simply a section put in place at MY request...no no else's...the one and only purpose was so that the committee organizing the event could hold their discussion in one place and see each other's responses so that we could more easily discuss and agree on things for the rally. I fail to understand how that becomes a "click" and has offended anyone. It's disheartening when a small group is working their butts off to try and make this thing happen and then it seems they have to answer as to how they are doing it.

Simple - because people feel left out & un-involved right from the beginning. They feel it's being planned by a small group and their opinion doesn't matter. Most of the ideas for other get-togethers have sprung from the membership, ideas have been thrown around (and out) on the site, polls taken and then someone would speak up and say - "I live near there - I can line up some hotels" And away it goes. Planning by a small group is good for the planners, but maybe not so good for the plan or the plan-ees?

The price is the most every charged for a rally...no question....HOWEVER that price includes all your breakfasts, your T-shirt and your wrap-up dinner. No other rally had that all lumped together...do the math and I would suggest it works out to about the same cost! My thought as to why we included breakfast was that it would give us the ability, as we did in Colordao, to have us all eating breakfast together so we could meet, chat, discuss the days rides and then head off together. Seems some don't like that idea. Oh well....can't please everyone.

True, but you do need to have some options for people and it's not that hard to do. I don't eat breakfast very often and by dinner you probably would wish I would eat somewhere else. :rotf: And I don't usually stay for the entire event and I know I'm not the only one that shows up late or leaves early. I'm more of an "al la carte" guy - I want options, freedom to choose. It's not a business seminar - you don't HAVE to have every hour all planned out. It creates more work for you (the planners) and less of a relaxed, loose, "biker feel" for the event.

This is the problem I have with pre-registration - sometimes life intervenes and stuff happens you need to alter plans. Let me show up for 2 days, buy the T and skip the breakfast and dinner and the patch. Besides - you wouldn't want me there for the ENTIRE event, now would you??????

Those that come will have fun...

I'm sure everyone that shows up will have fun. Not as much fun as they would have if I was there, but some fun, nonetheless. This is a fun group - how can they not have fun? And Squidley will be there - he's a fungi.:rotf::rotf:

..........................Well, I am one of the many who don't post very much. I do however try to read the posts as oftern as i can. This is the first I read of the event. But after all the guff Red1 has gotten for his OP{INION, I have to say I wil not be coming, but not because I can't . Go back and read all the posts at once and see how silly this is. This may be why more people don't post. They may not want their OPINION challenged...................................

Guff? You call this guff? I appreciate you sticking up for me, but you really oughta try teasing the Canadian members - it's a lot of fun. And soooooo easy, eh?! The only thing more fun than getting a Canuck riled up is making fun of the ones from Tex-ass. :stirthepot:

Jeez Red, if I am an example of independant wealth, I'd sure hate to see the poor folk.......:rotfl:

What're you talking about? You've been to my house.....................

But you go Red1......

I think my work here is done. :cool10:

Adios, amigos. Vaya con el dios.

but you really oughta try teasing the Canadian members - it's a lot of fun. And soooooo easy, eh?! The only thing more fun than getting a Canuck riled up is making fun of the ones from Tex-ass. :stirthepot:

Haha it may be easy to tease a Canadian, but it just as simple to throw it back, however we can take what we dish :sign20:

BTW how would you pronounce the city/town you live.? :rotf:

Brad

Haha it may be easy to tease a Canadian, but it just as simple to throw it back, however we can take what we dish :sign20:

Yeah, but Canadians are like bananas - you bruise so easy! :banana::banana::banana:

BTW how would you pronounce the city/town you live.? :rotf:

If you're from Chicago or Milwaukee - they pronounce it

"WIN-uh-cone".

If you're a local - it's "win-A-con-ee" If you're from the Great White North - it would probably be - "Win-EH-con-ee....EH?" It's a Winnebago Indian name and it means - "Land of the dead, smelly French-Canadian beaver traders".

Brad

Hope that helps, BRAD! :missingtooth: