IGNORED

Torn between bikes.

grubsie

Sorry to bring up and old thread, but this has been ongoing for me. Anyway, the weather here has been very nice for the past few days so I got a chance to ride the 08 RSV and the 02 HD ultra quite a bit. To be honest, the HD feels like a toy to me. It's seriously under powered, the tranny is clunky and the plastics seem like, well plastic that was just hung on the bike. The bike feels smallish and cramped to me. I tried to love it, really tried but just couldn't quite feel the love back. That so called open road v-twin rumble isn't happening with the 02 ultra. My 97 Road King has more of the rumble riders love than the ultra has.

On the other hand, I got to test ride the RSV with the new Sonic fork springs lowered with a spacer on the dampening tubes and also, I trimmed about an inch off the drivers seat height instead of using the rear lowering kit. I have to say, the bike feels and handles amazing. way better than before when I had the rear lowering kit on and the stock fork springs in with the forks raised in the triple trees. It's like a whole new bike. Easy to lift off the kick stand, easy to walk the bike, and slow speed handling seems to have improved.

Barring any unforeseen problems, I think I am going to be able to keep riding my RSV for quite some time.

Ok, I know this is a Venture forum, have owned 1 1st Gen and 3 2nd Gens and have loved them all. Getting close to retiring and while on vacation in Puerto Rico, my wife suggested that I should start thinning out the herd. I know she's right but thinning out makes me feel like I am getting old and don't like that feeling at all if I may state it honestly. But she is right. She has no problem with me restoring my pre 1970's Hondas, just wants me to slim down the bigger street bikes.

That being said, I posted here probably around early summer last year about a day we were out on our 08 RSV for the day and all day long it seemed like I was fighting with the bike all day. Just did not feel comfortable all day long. It was more of a struggle than I have ever had on a bike. especially in slow maneuvers. We had stopped at a seafood place for lunch and when it was time to leave, I just couldn't get the bike up off the kickstand to save my life by myself. I had to ask another gentleman to help me. Never, ever had this problem in all my years of riding. Although the rest of last years riding season went well, the top heaviness and that day has been in the back of my mind. I love the RSV's, really do, hence why I am on my 3rd one. It has been trouble free like the previous ones but seems to be getting a little too top heavy for me riding 2 up. Over the winter, I have lowered the front end and modified the drivers seat in hopes of making it a little easier to handle in the slow go, but have to wait until it is warm enough to test ride it.

Have been thinking about this problem for some time now and have been thinking about alternatives for our 2 up riding and came across a great deal on a 1 owner 9700 original mile HD Ultra Classic in mint condition. It's definitely easier to handle 2 up. Rides really nice and it handles very, very well, but am concerned about reliability. We all know that RSV's are basically bullet proof but not so sure about the HD. I already know that I will have to pay the "Harley Tax" in the near future and have the cam chain situation upgraded to the newer upgraded hydraulic tensioner system. So there's that. Plus it only has a 5 gallon gas tank so mileage will not be as good as the RSV.

I am thinking about putting them both up for sale and keeping whichever doesn't sell first but that may not solve the problem.

i also have 2 cruisers that I have to decide on which I am selling but that is not a difficult decision. A 1997 HD Road King and a 2009 Yamaha Road Star. I am keeping the Road Star. You just can't beat the quality of the RS. Now the Road King is another story. It only has 30k on it but I have put more $ into it than I will ever get back. Read and heard so much about how the HD EVO was the best , most reliable HD ever made and it has made a true unbeliever out of me. If that is the most reliable they made, then HD isn't for me which makes me concerned about the 2002 Ultra Classic I bought even though it only has 9700 mles on it.

I can't and won't buy a new bike even if I could. So you can see I am torn. Anyone else out there in or have been in this situation? If so, what "used" touring bike would you be looking at for easier handling 2 up? Not a cruiser but touring bike. We are hoping to put many miles in once retired. Hate to give up on the RSV but have to face reality also.

Just a caution about any GL1800 Gold Wing...and that is one of the reasons myself, for having made the switch to a lower seat, such as the SVTC has. Last September, when we took a Fall's Color trip to Wawa, Ontario, along the shores of Lake Superior, quite frankly, at my being 65 this year, fully packed up, my wife behind me, I found that even at 6'3", on my GL1800, I always had to tippy toe, because all stock GL1800's have a high seat height. My legs are of course, not as strong as they once were, and I feared one day into the future, on some incline, or my wife getting on or off, that we'd go over. So, that was one of the reasons that this was a good year to go to a lower seating postion. When I sat on the SVTC, I could easily put both feet flat on the ground. Much better situation and control...so I get it...for sure. I wish you good luck in your search for a lower seating position, or a bike with a pronounced lower center of gravity. Good luck, my friend!