IGNORED

Torn between bikes.

grubsie

Ok, I know this is a Venture forum, have owned 1 1st Gen and 3 2nd Gens and have loved them all. Getting close to retiring and while on vacation in Puerto Rico, my wife suggested that I should start thinning out the herd. I know she's right but thinning out makes me feel like I am getting old and don't like that feeling at all if I may state it honestly. But she is right. She has no problem with me restoring my pre 1970's Hondas, just wants me to slim down the bigger street bikes.

That being said, I posted here probably around early summer last year about a day we were out on our 08 RSV for the day and all day long it seemed like I was fighting with the bike all day. Just did not feel comfortable all day long. It was more of a struggle than I have ever had on a bike. especially in slow maneuvers. We had stopped at a seafood place for lunch and when it was time to leave, I just couldn't get the bike up off the kickstand to save my life by myself. I had to ask another gentleman to help me. Never, ever had this problem in all my years of riding. Although the rest of last years riding season went well, the top heaviness and that day has been in the back of my mind. I love the RSV's, really do, hence why I am on my 3rd one. It has been trouble free like the previous ones but seems to be getting a little too top heavy for me riding 2 up. Over the winter, I have lowered the front end and modified the drivers seat in hopes of making it a little easier to handle in the slow go, but have to wait until it is warm enough to test ride it.

Have been thinking about this problem for some time now and have been thinking about alternatives for our 2 up riding and came across a great deal on a 1 owner 9700 original mile HD Ultra Classic in mint condition. It's definitely easier to handle 2 up. Rides really nice and it handles very, very well, but am concerned about reliability. We all know that RSV's are basically bullet proof but not so sure about the HD. I already know that I will have to pay the "Harley Tax" in the near future and have the cam chain situation upgraded to the newer upgraded hydraulic tensioner system. So there's that. Plus it only has a 5 gallon gas tank so mileage will not be as good as the RSV.

I am thinking about putting them both up for sale and keeping whichever doesn't sell first but that may not solve the problem.

i also have 2 cruisers that I have to decide on which I am selling but that is not a difficult decision. A 1997 HD Road King and a 2009 Yamaha Road Star. I am keeping the Road Star. You just can't beat the quality of the RS. Now the Road King is another story. It only has 30k on it but I have put more $ into it than I will ever get back. Read and heard so much about how the HD EVO was the best , most reliable HD ever made and it has made a true unbeliever out of me. If that is the most reliable they made, then HD isn't for me which makes me concerned about the 2002 Ultra Classic I bought even though it only has 9700 mles on it.

I can't and won't buy a new bike even if I could. So you can see I am torn. Anyone else out there in or have been in this situation? If so, what "used" touring bike would you be looking at for easier handling 2 up? Not a cruiser but touring bike. We are hoping to put many miles in once retired. Hate to give up on the RSV but have to face reality also.

Ok, I know this is a Venture forum, have owned 1 1st Gen and 3 2nd Gens and have loved them all. Getting close to retiring and while on vacation in Puerto Rico, my wife suggested that I should start thinning out the herd. I know she's right but thinning out makes me feel like I am getting old and don't like that feeling at all if I may state it honestly. But she is right. She has no problem with me restoring my pre 1970's Hondas, just wants me to slim down the bigger street bikes.

That being said, I posted here probably around early summer last year about a day we were out on our 08 RSV for the day and all day long it seemed like I was fighting with the bike all day. Just did not feel comfortable all day long. It was more of a struggle than I have ever had on a bike. especially in slow maneuvers. We had stopped at a seafood place for lunch and when it was time to leave, I just couldn't get the bike up off the kickstand to save my life by myself. I had to ask another gentleman to help me. Never, ever had this problem in all my years of riding. Although the rest of last years riding season went well, the top heaviness and that day has been in the back of my mind. I love the RSV's, really do, hence why I am on my 3rd one. It has been trouble free like the previous ones but seems to be getting a little too top heavy for me riding 2 up. Over the winter, I have lowered the front end and modified the drivers seat in hopes of making it a little easier to handle in the slow go, but have to wait until it is warm enough to test ride it.

Have been thinking about this problem for some time now and have been thinking about alternatives for our 2 up riding and came across a great deal on a 1 owner 9700 original mile HD Ultra Classic in mint condition. It's definitely easier to handle 2 up. Rides really nice and it handles very, very well, but am concerned about reliability. We all know that RSV's are basically bullet proof but not so sure about the HD. I already know that I will have to pay the "Harley Tax" in the near future and have the cam chain situation upgraded to the newer upgraded hydraulic tensioner system. So there's that. Plus it only has a 5 gallon gas tank so mileage will not be as good as the RSV.

I am thinking about putting them both up for sale and keeping whichever doesn't sell first but that may not solve the problem.

i also have 2 cruisers that I have to decide on which I am selling but that is not a difficult decision. A 1997 HD Road King and a 2009 Yamaha Road Star. I am keeping the Road Star. You just can't beat the quality of the RS. Now the Road King is another story. It only has 30k on it but I have put more $ into it than I will ever get back. Read and heard so much about how the HD EVO was the best , most reliable HD ever made and it has made a true unbeliever out of me. If that is the most reliable they made, then HD isn't for me which makes me concerned about the 2002 Ultra Classic I bought even though it only has 9700 mles on it.

I can't and won't buy a new bike even if I could. So you can see I am torn. Anyone else out there in or have been in this situation? If so, what "used" touring bike would you be looking at for easier handling 2 up? Not a cruiser but touring bike. We are hoping to put many miles in once retired. Hate to give up on the RSV but have to face reality also.

Ever thought of a early to mid 2000s Goldwing?

Good read with GREAT points to be pondering brother!! Can I ask what your height, inseam and approximate weight is Grubs? :think:In accordance with the code:hihi:, I wont go there concerning your better half :no-no-no:but will assume that she weighs over 80 pounds? - if less than that please state "less than 80 Puc" = value of your answer herein will become clear in a future response in the form of a Puc styled opinion to some of your ponderings :178:

:biker::happy34:

Ever thought of a early to mid 2000s Goldwing?

Thought about a GW. Had an 86 years ago and it was a nice bike at the time, but really like the cruiser type feel vs the GW and my previous 1st Gen. Also, like a close friend of mine who has more money than God that can afford any ride he wants any day of the week said to me about his brandy newbie 2016 GW. He loved the bike, really loved it, but felt like an old man on it. He traded it in for a 2017 HD. I don't want to feel old on my ride.

Whatever I decide on, It has to look like a motorcycle, you know, like us old style riders are, not covered in plastic from end to end like the space age Victory's look. Sorry. No offense to Victory riders.

Good read with GREAT points to be pondering brother!! Can I ask what your height, inseam and approximate weight is Grubs? but will assume that she weighs over 80 pounds? - if less than that please state "less than 80 Puc" /QUOTE]

Me 5-8, 185, 29 inseam. My wife weighs at least twice as much as me ....Just kidding. How many women in their 60's do you know that weigh 80 lbs?

I ride an 03 RSV and I also have a 2014 V Star 1300 Classic Tour. It rides as smooth as my RSV and is FI. If I was going to down size the Venture it would be another V Star 1300 and they are water cooled. You said that you have a Road Star. Does it have the Bat wing fairing and hard bags?

I ride an 03 RSV and I also have a 2014 V Star 1300 Classic Tour. It rides as smooth as my RSV and is FI. If I was going to down size the Venture it would be another V Star 1300 and they are water cooled. You said that you have a Road Star. Does it have the Bat wing fairing and hard bags?

Hadn't thought about a V Star. Will have to check out a 1300.

Just got the Road Star a few weeks ago. Am going to put a fairing and saddlebags, but it is going to be setup as a solo rider for around town and rides with the guys. My wife didn't like the ride on my previous road star.

Was thinking about the newer style Kawasaki Voyager but heard they are top heavy also.

Really like my ultra classic but that dependability thing is keeping me skeptical.

Was hoping that the RSV was going be my last ride into the sunset. Maybe if I put the gas tank underneath the bike, it will reduce the top heavy feel.:rotf:

I am in a similar dilemma but for different reasons. I may be getting older but I refuse to grow up. After destroying my Achilles tendon getting my Venture out of its parking place last fall, I am looking for a lighter weight touring bike. I think I have settled on the Yamaha FJR1300, Same size engine with nearly double the HP and it is about 250 lbs lighter, but it is still a touring bike. I have not had a chance to test ride one yet so I do not know if they still feel top heavy. The luggage is a bit smaller, but then if I am on a trip I will be pulling the trailer so the smaller storage should not be an issue. I will be looking for one in the 2007 to 2010ish range.

I suggest a gym membership. I am not a member but I do some exercises and walk 50 minutes at a brisk pace 3 times a week. Bottom line is that at 73, I'm as strong as my 39 yr old son who is 6' 3" tall and weighs 200 lbs.

Take a look at the BMW R1200RT. I think it weighs about 550 lbs with 110hp and is supposed to be a comfortable tourer with an upright seating position. It does not have a cruiser riding position though if that is what you prefer.

I've only ridden 3 touring bikes, a 2002 Kawasaki Voyager, a 2006 Honda Goldwing, and my current 89 Yamaha Venture. In my opinion, the GW is head and shoulders about the other two in how easy it is to maneuver at slow speeds. The low center of gravity means a lot.

>

Brian, in my opinion, the above is the issue. Finding something you can ride, feet flat, and handle at our age. I'm getting there fast as well.

The only touring bike that I think fits you is the HD Ultra. Even the VStar 1300 might be a stretch in that the bars are wide and the tank is big. It still felt heavy for me but does handle. BUT, it's a cruiser not a touring bike. Will be buzzy at highway speeds as it really needs a 6th gear....like its smaller sibling the 950T. I loved my VStar but not for day long riding. Even after my seat was Butlerized, it was not a long distance bike for me. [/color] BTW, he made a huge improvement over the stock seat! My wife didn't like the rear seat on the VStar either...even with the touring backrest and pad I made for it. I even tried aftermarket seats!

The Honda GW's are good, well balanced... but heavy. The BMW is very tall in the saddle, so that would be out for me and I'm a bit longer leg than you (30inch).

I'd stick with the HD. Do the upgrades. Or buy a newer one...like the 2012 ultra classic. Nice bike, handles well, comfy seat for better half, good mpgs as it's fuel injected. Around 40mpg average. My only complaint is the cockpit is tighter than either of my Ventures...

Picture from our ride yesterday of my 05 RSV and my buddies 2012 HD Ultra. his has been dependable for over 30K miles so far. I've ridden many of those miles with him on my Yamaha's.

20180304_134035.jpg

Good luck with your choice.....

Edited by videoarizona
add

When your on the bike.............turn the bars all the way to the right.........then lift up off of the side stand. Try it.

As far as low speed maneuvering.....use the rear brake to adjust speed, keep rpms up around 1800 to 2000 and use the clutch to distribute power.

When your on the bike.............turn the bars all the way to the right.........then lift up off of the side stand. Try it.

As far as low speed maneuvering.....use the rear brake to adjust speed, keep rpms up around 1800 to 2000 and use the clutch to distribute power.[

Also, grab the bottom side of the gas tank with your left hand and lift up.

Whatever I decide on, It has to look like a motorcycle, you know, like us old style riders are, not covered in plastic from end to end like the space age Victory's look. Sorry. No offense to Victory riders.

Yup wouldnt want to update a look they have had for 100 years like HD. To bad you wont consider a Victory in your mix. Classic style, but with a moder update to it. The Vision is definatly something unique. The Cross Bikes though http://polaris.hs.llnwd.net/o40/vic/2017/img/motorcycles/my17-vehicles/en-us/cross-country-tour-gloss-black.png Is it really that much more "plastic" than HD touring?

>

Brian, in my opinion, the above is the issue. Finding something you can ride, feet flat, and handle at our age. I'm getting there fast as well.

The only touring bike that I think fits you is the HD Ultra. Even the VStar 1300 might be a stretch in that the bars are wide and the tank is big. It still felt heavy for me but does handle. BUT, it's a cruiser not a touring bike. Will be buzzy at highway speeds as it really needs a 6th gear....like its smaller sibling the 950T. I loved my VStar but not for day long riding. Even after my seat was Butlerized, it was not a long distance bike for me. [/color] BTW, he made a huge improvement over the stock seat! My wife didn't like the rear seat on the VStar either...even with the touring backrest and pad I made for it. I even tried aftermarket seats!

The Honda GW's are good, well balanced... but heavy. The BMW is very tall in the saddle, so that would be out for me and I'm a bit longer leg than you (30inch).

I'd stick with the HD. Do the upgrades. Or buy a newer one...like the 2012 ultra classic. Nice bike, handles well, comfy seat for better half, good mpgs as it's fuel injected. Around 40mpg average. My only complaint is the cockpit is tighter than either of my Ventures...

Picture from our ride yesterday of my 05 RSV and my buddies 2012 HD Ultra. his has been dependable for over 30K miles so far. I've ridden many of those miles with him on my Yamaha's.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=111816

Good luck with your choice.....

Video,

I've never seen a pic of the RSV, and the HD Ultra nose to nose like that. It certainly makes me realize how much better of a look that the RSV has than the HD. It just has a better, more rounded edges look than the HD. Even the fairing is a better looking, sleeker look than the HD's. The Venture is a bigger bike for sure.

Hmmmm.

Big Lenny

A tall seat is not so bad when the bike is lighter. My Kawasaki is about 500 lbs and I have no fear of dropping it at all riding or pushing it. I can push it around the garage, turn it around in the driveway and I can handle it just fine. I'm afraid to push my Venture around because the possibility of dropping it is very high. It hasn't happened yet but I live in fear of dropping it.

The 2004 Kawasaki Concours I owned for a couple of years weighed about 660lbs. I could push it around and turn it without worrying too much about dropping it. But it was so top heavy and that combined with a 26 degree rake made it very hard to ride slowly. It had over a 30" seat height but that didn't bother me and I have a 29" inseam. I did drop it on my foot breaking a bone that caused blood clots in my leg. My wife said, "get rid of that daxx bike." So, I did. A sport tourer does have some good features though. But, for an old guy, it may not be good to fold your legs up as much as they require.

Edited by BlueSky

Thought about a GW. Had an 86 years ago and it was a nice bike at the time, but really like the cruiser type feel vs the GW and my previous 1st Gen. Also, like a close friend of mine who has more money than God that can afford any ride he wants any day of the week said to me about his brandy newbie 2016 GW. He loved the bike, really loved it, but felt like an old man on it. He traded it in for a 2017 HD. I don't want to feel old on my ride.

Good read with GREAT points to be pondering brother!! Can I ask what your height, inseam and approximate weight is Grubs? but will assume that she weighs over 80 pounds? - if less than that please state "less than 80 Puc" /QUOTE]

Me 5-8, 185, 29 inseam. My wife weighs at least twice as much as me ....Just kidding. How many women in their 60's do you know that weigh 80 lbs?

I like to use that 80 pound question when thinking about passenger weight because if your intending to carry a passenger you can get a pretty good feeling for top heaviness on a bike by tossing a bag of 80 pound redi mix upright on the saddle behind you if your passenger is +80 pounds. I have ridden a number of bikes that sit higher between the ride height of the driver and the passenger and have experimented with the redi-mix with them (when my wife, Tippy, was preoccupied) and have noticed that the greater the difference in ride height on the saddle - the more top heavy the bike "feels" - especially at slow speeds below the point of being able to countersteer/when you lose gyro scope effect of the spinning wheels.. Using this theory, a person can go to """ http://cycle-ergo.com/ """ and search thru the scoots comparing those seat height differences and get a fairly accurate idea of how top heavy a bike may be.. Fun to consider and fool around with if nothing else..

Grubs I hear ya about your wanting to stay with the batwing fairinged style of bikes, if that were not the case I would strongly suggest you do some digging and see if you could find an early Kaw Voyager 2.. Had a number of them thru the years = those things were amazing bikes IMHO.. My neighbor who is 5' 6" sat on one of mine just after he had purchased a new Ultra Limited and about balled his eyes it out cause the Kawi fit him so good and he had just spent the big bucks trying to get his new one to fit even as close to as good...

I cant help but wonder if your experience with not being able to lift the bike of the stand may have resulted from having the kickstand in a low spot and down before your passenger disembarked.. If so, it seems possible that when the boingers unloaded the bike may have ended up at an abnormal lean angle and it dont take much of an extra lean for any of these big ole heavy touring scoots to over power us when that happens..

Take a look at the BMW R1200RT. I think it weighs about 550 lbs with 110hp and is supposed to be a comfortable tourer with an upright seating position. It does not have a cruiser riding position though if that is what you prefer.

I agree on looking at the Beemers. They are significantly lighter than comparable Japanese bikes and handle like on rails. The RT is a good bike and can be picked up for a fair price. You may also want to look at the K1200LT which is a more full fared BMW. The LT is about 850 lbs, so still a big bike. However, it has a lower COG so is easier to handle at slow speeds.

Getting old is a bitc*. But it beats the alternative.

RR

I agree on looking at the Beemers. They are significantly lighter than comparable Japanese bikes and handle like on rails. The RT is a good bike and can be picked up for a fair price. You may also want to look at the K1200LT which is a more full fared BMW. The LT is about 850 lbs, so still a big bike. However, it has a lower COG so is easier to handle at slow speeds.

Getting old is a bitc*. But it beats the alternative.

RR

I haven't ridden one, but from what I've read the K1200LT is very top heavy.

Whatever I decide on, It has to look like a motorcycle, you know, like us old style riders are, not covered in plastic from end to end like the space age Victory's look.

Like djh3 points out, the Victory Cross Country Tour is as close to your Venture and a Harley in styling as you can get. Thing is, they are so easy to handle and way more dependable than a Harley PLUS, simple oil changes ... frankly you can't go wrong IMHO. Try one or two before you commit, you will be pleasantly surprised.

Like djh3 points out, the Victory Cross Country Tour is as close to your Venture and a Harley in styling as you can get. Thing is, they are so easy to handle and way more dependable than a Harley PLUS, simple oil changes ... frankly you can't go wrong IMHO. Try one or two before you commit, you will be pleasantly surprised.

I rented a LT1200 to ride to Las Vegas for a meeting :-)

About 570 miles RT.

The saying that bmw is the ultimate driving machine hold me true for the LT. however it is tippy 2up. When ever I see a 2up LT come into a parking lot and I am near I mosey over to get close in cas they tip while parking. Many have come close and I caught one from falling. Rider was surprised I was there to catch him. Anyway, it rode great in all respected but I didn’t have highway pegs or a back rest so it personally killed me for 470 of Re 570 miles. Total kink in my neck and pain in my shoulder. Just like my experience on the 2018 Venture.

Nice bike. Like my 2nd gen better though.

VentureFar...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the decision got a little tougher today after my 1st real ride of the season. It was a balmy 40 degrees when I started out. I have been itching for this day to test a few changes I did to the RSV this winter. Got about 100 miles in, which was a good solo test.

Over the winter I installed new Sonic front suspension springs. In the process, I lowered shortened the travel of the forks 1" by 1" installing spacers to the damper tubes. Last year, I lowered the front end by raising the fork tubes through the triple trees. I bottomed out a few times which caused the lower fork fender mounts to bang into the lower fork covers and denting them and I also didn't care for the look of the raised fork tubes in the trees. The new setup looks more professional, won't dent the lower fork covers if it bottoms and the Sonic springs perform much better than the stock springs.

I installed the Baron's rear lowering kit that I kept from my '06 RSV, but lowering the rear 1" along with the front lowered 1" would put the rake back to it's original setting and the sluggish low speed handling would be the same, so I took the kit back off. Being vertically challenged, I decided to take on modifying the seat myself. Visited all kinds of websites on the subject, then jumped in. After about 2 hours of trimming and sanding and testing, I covered the seat with 1" memory foam and put the cover back on. It appears that got the seat lowered close to an inch. It's comfortable too and stayed that way for the ride today. Very pleased.

So the front is lowered 1" (properly) and the seat is lowered 1" so my feet are easily flat footed on the ground. This has also made the bike feel like it is easier to stand it up from the kickstand since I now have some space between the seat and my crotch for maneuvering which was a major concern in keeping the bike for the future. I guess the next step is to get the better half on the back to see if the bike is easier to handle with her on it than it had been last season. Unfortunately, that won't happen until the end of April when we get back from our trip.

The conflict has always been about the top heavy weight while trying to walk the bike or standing it up. Especially 2 up. The low speed handling has always been a secondary concern and not really a deciding factor.

A future with the RSV looks promising so far with the changes, I hope it is since the RSV has always been my favorite riding motorcycle.