IGNORED

Chipper/ Shredder... Any thoughts

Kretz

The last few weeks we've had a lot of tree damage caused by ice storms & wind. Trees bent double, broken, uprooted. We have thought of getting a chipper/ shredder on a number of occasions in the past. Enquired today at local hire shops about renting one $240 -$300 per day! (Plus delivery charge) really those bigger models are overkill (6" -9") for what we want (& at the moment every man & his dog are looking to rent them) so there is a huge waiting list.

I've measured some of our lumber & the max seems to be around 2.1/2" daim. with most being a lot less

I'm considering buying something like this:

https://www.championpowerequipment.com/product/100137-3-in-chipper-shredder/

I know it's only small 3" capacity, but it would seem to cover the majority of branches etc that we have, (bigger stuff would be logged for a friends wood stove) It comes in at around $1000 & it does appear to get very good reviews on line. Only thing I don't care for is the low level discharge.

Just wondered if anyone here had one of these & your thoughts.

I have looked at others (DR being one) but they are dedicated chippers (no shredding) & cost a LOT more. This one really does seem to fit the bill.

Edited by Kretz

That look very similar to the one I bought from Sears in 1996 after Hurricane Fran hit my then city of Wilmington, NC. That thing ate everything you could chuck into it, including limbs larger than they claimed it would digest. Go get it and clean up.

:farmer:

The last few weeks we've had a lot of tree damage caused by ice storms & wind. Trees bent double, broken, uprooted. We have thought of getting a chipper/ shredder on a number of occasions in the past. Enquired today at local hire shops about renting one $240 -$300 per day! (Plus delivery charge) really those bigger models are overkill (6" -9") for what we want (& at the moment every man & his dog are looking to rent them) so there is a huge waiting list.

I've measured some of our lumber & the max seems to be around 2.1/2" daim. with most being a lot less

I'm considering buying something like this:

https://www.championpowerequipment.com/product/100137-3-in-chipper-shredder/

I know it's only small 3" capacity, but it would seem to cover the majority of branches etc that we have, (bigger stuff would be logged for a friends wood stove) It comes in at around $1000 & it does appear to get very good reviews on line. Only thing I don't care for is the low level discharge.

Just wondered if anyone here had one of these & your thoughts.

I have looked at others (DR being one) but they are dedicated chippers (no shredding) & cost a LOT more. This one really does seem to fit the bill.

I would say go for it.....

I have a 8 horse, 25 year old chipper / shredder that I bought used for $400 20 years ago.

My one recommendation is..... don't loan it to anyone. Everytime I loaned mine out, it came back broken, and broken big. (bent crank one time, broken flywheel the other, I"ve spent more fixing it than I paid for it. So listen up.... don't loan it out, they will break it. You might loan it to someone you would trust your motorcycle with)

If the wood is green, you can chip much better. Old, dead wood is hard to chip. It's best to shred in the spring or fall before leafs if you have a choice.

Anything over 3, you can turn into firewood, anything under 3 you just shred.

I used to rent a big one one time a year. Having a small one whenever I want it, is priceless.

I’ve had one like that for 30years. As stated, green limbs work best and the cutters stay sharp longer. I put down a large tarp near the outlet with edges elevated to help contain the chips. Usually just large diameter limbs holding up the edges and a few on top of the tarp to hold it down