IGNORED

Still wondering about radiators

I have yet to get an answer from you folks about whether this Radiator on my 83 is repairable or if I have to replace it. It's a pin hole that they would have just fixed in the past but I don't know what this is made out of

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I have yet to get an answer from you folks about whether this Radiator on my 83 is repairable or if I have to replace it. It's a pin hole that they would have just fixed in the past but I don't know what this is made out of

Radiators are made of aluminum They should be able to patch it with some solder

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

Only one way to find out, take it past a radiator repair shop. I'd do that before I took it out. As above, in general the answer is yes. They might be able to do it on the bike. You might even try some J-B Weld radiator glue, if it's a small pinhole, it might work. Fleabay has a few used radiators for under $50. What I would NOT do is put some type of radiator stop leak in it. That stuff gums up everything. It just depends if the pinhole is from a rock, or because of rot.

Only one way to find out, take it past a radiator repair shop. I'd do that before I took it out. As above, in general the answer is yes. They might be able to do it on the bike. You might even try some J-B Weld radiator glue, if it's a small pinhole, it might work. Fleabay has a few used radiators for under $50. What I would NOT do is put some type of radiator stop leak in it. That stuff gums up everything. It just depends if the pinhole is from a rock, or because of rot.
That's some very Sound Advice there. Thank you. I've got the bike pretty torn down now because of the electronic issue and because it hasn't been cleaned in probably 20 years so I'm pulling everything off to polish it up, take care of some surface rust here and there, repairing stuff. So it's probably faster if I take it off, but there's a radiator shop 4 blocks from my home so I'll show him pictures of the radiator and let him tell me how he wants it. I also don't know what condition my coolant is in because that's one system that was always closed and working so I didn't mess with it before now. I know I want to change out the fluids though. Thank you for your timely response!

That's some very Sound Advice there. Thank you. I've got the bike pretty torn down now because of the electronic issue and because it hasn't been cleaned in probably 20 years so I'm pulling everything off to polish it up, take care of some surface rust here and there, repairing stuff. So it's probably faster if I take it off, but there's a radiator shop 4 blocks from my home so I'll show him pictures of the radiator and let him tell me how he wants it. I also don't know what condition my coolant is in because that's one system that was always closed and working so I didn't mess with it before now. I know I want to change out the fluids though. Thank you for your timely response!

So it turns out that Ron's Radiator Repair, that's been on the corner in downtown Papillion for about 40 years, doesn't do radiators anymore. He told me about a couple places to talk to but he did say that it might be cheaper to get a used one off eBay for under 50 bucks. A used radiator to me seems a little scarier than a repaired radiator that I know...

So it turns out that Ron's Radiator Repair, that's been on the corner in downtown Papillion for about 40 years, doesn't do radiators anymore. He told me about a couple places to talk to but he did say that it might be cheaper to get a used one off eBay for under 50 bucks. A used radiator to me seems a little scarier than a repaired radiator that I know...

Yeah I will say not many people patch them for a few bux anymore if you can even find someone.

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

If you can not find someone local to repair it cheap, IF it is just a pinhole, you may be able to solder it yourself. But you do have to get the special solder and flux for aluminum. I would at least try to do my own repair before spending for a replacement that is of unknown history and condition. The worst you can do is to mess it up and have the buy the one you were gonna buy anyhow. You can practics soldering thin aluminum on some soda or beer cans.

Google "aluminum solder" there are a lot of how to's.

Have you determined where the pinhole is?

Is it the tank, middle of cooling fins, where the fins meet tank, fill neck, ? Etc Etc

This will play into whether it's easily repairable or not, lol

This is all I know for now.

The picture of the top left corner where the fill tube is is spillage from the Overflow having been broken off. I've repaired it three times. It tends to come back from my mechanic with it broken off.

The top right corner is the leak I'm concerned with and I haven't gotten close enough to be able to tell where it is exactly. from4ce2d60fa3903611e67a4fff6e54fd45.jpgb99a0083b526f1cd7a9264a82b4eb8b1.jpgdd61b43661be88b23fc5370970ffe4ed.jpg

I am not expert obviously, but that one on top right looks like it's leaking where the fins meeting the tank. In my car experience, this usually is caused by corrosion. Not saying it can't be fixed, but given your adventure with your Venture, and considering it's all tore down anyway, and not like a major additional expense, and never in my life have I seen a radiator self fix itself, I would buy the cleanest looking one off fleabay. Then a light coat of high temp black paint, since your going to polish her up anyway. You might ask ebay seller if he guarantees that it wont leak.

If you can not find someone local to repair it cheap, IF it is just a pinhole, you may be able to solder it yourself. But you do have to get the special solder and flux for aluminum. I would at least try to do my own repair before spending for a replacement that is of unknown history and condition. The worst you can do is to mess it up and have the buy the one you were gonna buy anyhow. You can practics soldering thin aluminum on some soda or beer cans.

Google "aluminum solder" there are a lot of how to's.

Same old story...

You could save a lot of money by doing the work yourself. All you have to do is buy $179 soldering setup. That you're going to use three more times. Ever

Edited by s.tyler58

I wonder if you could retrofit a radiator from a 2nd Gen on there
I've got a line on a good radiator. Sometimes I just get crabby. Been cleaning my office all afternoon evening. Little dog's looking at me like that's enough. I hate when accreditation time rolls around. Operating a home health care business isn't as easy as it used to be. The good thing is, the rules are spelled out, and all you have to do is comply to the standard of the rule. No points for being over and above, just penalties for not meeting the standard. You've probably all had prostate exam by now... with the benefit of lube.... all so I can get reimbursed 25% of what we used to get paid 20 years ago.

Ah crap, I'm whining again. Buddy's right, it's time to go home.

in the Eternal scheme of things, this isn't even the blink of an eye.

Same old story...

You could save a lot of money by doing the work yourself. All you have to do is buy $179 soldering setup. That you're going to use three more times. Ever

Not near that expensive.

The solder...https://www.amazon.com/Solder-Aluminum-Metal-Repair-0-25oz/dp/B000BUUTPU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1517235814&sr=8-3&keywords=solder+aluminum

a stainless steel wire brush. https://www.amazon.com/Brush-Brass-Stainless-Cleaning-Welding/dp/B06W2PMDPK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1517236170&sr=8-3&keywords=stainless+brush

and any small cheap propane or butane torch.

You do not need a fancy oxy acetylene torch setup, in fact you are probably better off with a cheap pencil propane torch, the oxy torch is much more likely to just melt the radiator.

If you have a local flea market, find the guy selling the aluminum brazing kits and tell him that if he can fix your radiator you will buy a kit from him (around $10). Then it will be done by someone that knows what he is doing and you have a new toy/process to play with for the future.