IGNORED

Seafoam Query

Kretz

How much?

Just as a preventative when the bike stands for extended periods (like over winter) Gas in not that old (tank filled end of October) but it is "ethanol gas"

I treat my gas with an "anti-ethanol" additive. (the red stuff) before putting it in the bikes, & I do try to run the bikes every 3-4 weeks (start, warm up for 20min or so)

Just wondered if I should also add Seafoam to the gas tank, if so how much? I don't want to overdo it, but there no dosage indication on the can.

Any advice?

Sorry I know this questions been asked before but mostly by people who are already having carb problems. I'm not.... just looking to preempt any!

Thanks!

I do an ounce to a gallon and also start em up once a month too and have never had an issue. I do like to top off the tanks to keep them from rustin at all, then when I get home from the top off I will mix my ounce per gallon in with a little gas in a quart jar and dump this pre-mixture in to get the tank mix started (I am a throw back from 2 stroke dirt bike mixing days = you dont premix your premix while sitting at the pump all the 2 stroke oil will run to the bottom and now ya got a real slug).

For my 1st Gens it's 5 ounces in a pint or so of gas dumped into the full tank - run around the block for last ride short ride to circulate the mix into the carbs and then onto the battery tender.. My monthly start ups I like to let em run a little longer at idle to make sure I am getting good flow thru the smaller low speed jets and circuits as those little hair sized orvices usually gum out way before the mains. Warm er up to at least half temp and bounce er off the mains a few times to clean em/circulate them too..

No idea if anyone else has noticed this but I have noticed that my plugs will get a "sheen" to them if using a lot of Sea Foam which I believe can bring about early plug swap needs.. On our Ventures and most other scoots this is no big deal but on my R1 - plug swaps dont look like to much fun... Just an added thought with maybe a slight encouragement not to over do the Sea Foam/short storage fuel stabilizer additive idea - xtra/xtra isnt always the best or necessary IMHO..

P.S. - cover the breather snorkle and steel wool stuffed into the pipes will keep the mice out.. *** Wonder what is going on in those mice brains when they are laying inside that quiet exhaust and all of a sudden - VAAAAROOOOM - the mighty V-4 comes a nockin on their door :big-grin-emoticon:

I mix Seafoam in all my small engine gas including the motorcycle. I add an ounce or so a gallon before I fill the tank up. I have the option here in Minnesota of using non-ethanol premium gas, which I use in all my small engines and motorcycle. The non-ethanol premium is uses in the bike when I park it for the season but I do add Seafoam to the bike when I park it for the week if I can. Doing it this way I have no issues starting an engine that had been sitting used for 6 months or so. I been doing this for years and it works for me.

Hope this helps.

Rick F.

I do about 1/2 can in a full tank, and make sure I run through a full carburetor of gas before storing, and I also use "Stabul" as well.

In the spring, after I've been through a tank or two, I will do a full can to a full tank of gas and drive it like I stole it to do a cleaning of the fuel delivery system, but unless your bike is running rough that is really not necessary. I do it myself just because it mentally makes me feel good...

I do about 1/2 can in a full tank, and make sure I run through a full carburetor of gas before storing, and I also use "Stabul" as well.

In the spring, after I've been through a tank or two, I will do a full can to a full tank of gas and drive it like I stole it to do a cleaning of the fuel delivery system, but unless your bike is running rough that is really not necessary. I do it myself just because it mentally makes me feel good...

My measure is the same as yours - 1/2 can before leaving the house to top up the tank. Top up the tank, ride home a couple miles/km and park it. During the Winter I will start the bike on "warm" days (40F) just to move the mix thru the carbs.

Stabul....I've had bad experiences with. Going back to my 1100 Virago... read the label, measured everything carefully....would start the bike every once in a while over the winter....come Spring it would NOT start. Had to drain the fuel and put in fresh and it would fire up. I only use Seafoam now.

If no marina or other place to get non-ethanol fuel in your area, go to the local airport and ask for some 110 low lead. Most will always sell you 5 gal or so of "can gas". If they ask tell them its for racing or some other "off road" use. Its pricey but your not going to fill up the truck.

• 2 weeks later...