IGNORED

A little help with my throttle adjustment please.

Hey guys! Where is the adjustment for the cruise cable? I know you can adjust at the throttle, and at the carb and at the cruise. I'm sure its underneath the fairing somewhere but where? Also any idea how to lube them old cables?

According to the service manual on page 7-148.. the cable adjustment is done under the left fairing where the vacuum actuator is located. You should have 1~2mm of free play there. Also you can use 10w-30 to lube the cables or a purpose designed cable lube also.

Hope this helps,

Rick F.

According to the service manual on page 7-148.. the cable adjustment is done under the left fairing where the vacuum actuator is located. You should have 1~2mm of free play there. Also you can use 10w-30 to lube the cables or a purpose designed cable lube also.

Hope this helps,

Rick F.

Thanks so much! Now I've got an idea where to start peeling things apart.

What issues are you having, maybe we can help some more.

Just a really loose throttle. I haven't measured the freeplay but its well over spec. I know to make gross throttle adjustment at the carb and the fine tuning at the throttle. The cruise is a little laggy so i'd like to check the adjustment there to see . Should probably lube the cables too

You may have stretched the cable or cables, but I doubt it. The only adjustment that I know of is at the handle bar end. The cruise control has no adjustment, but if somebody had taken it apart and not put it back together proper, there might be an issue. Make sure that when you hook up the carb end of the cables that the primary side goes on the inside of the rod that has the nylon bushing on it. It seems that the nylon bushing might be a bearing point for the cable to slide across, but that is not the case, the cable actually runs behind and away from that rod.

To lube the cables is a 2 step process. There are 4 cables all told. 2 long ones from the grip to the cruise control and 2 shorter ones from there to the carbs. I use Fluid Film that is liquid enough to get in the shield and stays mobile enough to work it's way down.

You may have stretched the cable or cables, but I doubt it. The only adjustment that I know of is at the handle bar end. The cruise control has no adjustment, but if somebody had taken it apart and not put it back together proper, there might be an issue. Make sure that when you hook up the carb end of the cables that the primary side goes on the inside of the rod that has the nylon bushing on it. It seems that the nylon bushing might be a bearing point for the cable to slide across, but that is not the case, the cable actually runs behind and away from that rod.

To lube the cables is a 2 step process. There are 4 cables all told. 2 long ones from the grip to the cruise control and 2 shorter ones from there to the carbs. I use Fluid Film that is liquid enough to get in the shield and stays mobile enough to work it's way down.

Thanks Marcarl! I didnt know that there wasnt an adjustment on the cruise control, but to be honest i dont think ive ever even seen the unit on a first gen lol. Ill be picking up some Fluid Film this week and ill try to tackle this project. Thanks again for the wise words!

• 2 weeks later...

I see there is a NOS vacuum activator list on ebay for the 86-93 VR and it includes the throttle cable with the activator. If you are still looking for a new cable it looks like you need to buy the whole activator to get a new one. Here is the URL to the ebay page with the item. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1NL-85860-00-00-NOS-Vacuum-Actuator-Yamaha-Venture-Royale-1986-XVZ1300-W2599/312025407096?hash=item48a629de78:g:HWYAAOSwMYxaA5lZ&vxp

Also looking at the picture of the cable, you can see the adjustment is located in the middle of the cable so maybe that is where you need to look to adjust it.

I hope this helps you out.

Rick F.