IGNORED

Royal star tour deluxe

Trex

Hey folks, I'm new to the forum and I am looking for information on the royal star tour deluxe. I am looking at a 2007 RSTD with 22,00 miles. I pretty much know all the positives of the RSTD so I'm looking to hear about any gremlins it may have. What's the reliability of the RSTD? Any big maintenance issues I should know. Are there any major issues I should look for. I don't want a "3rd gear failure" type of issue like the roadliner. I thought I read that there are very little to no changes in this bike throughout the years. Thanks for any input.

I too have this fine ride. I have 85,000 miles on mine and she rides like a dream. I have only had her for the last year. I got her with 74,000 miles after having been neglected by her previous owners..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I too have this fine ride. I have 85,000 miles on mine and she rides like a dream. I have only had her for the last year. I got her with 74,000 miles after having been neglected by her previous owners..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Impressive!!!

The 2005-2009 RSTD is 98% mechanically the same as 1999-2013 RS Venture, but without the fairing and top box and electronics. Mechanically the gas tank and seat are also different between the Venture and RSTD. Very reliable and many have upwards of 200k miles on them. The single rear shock is a common item that may need replacement, or rebuilding. A few need a coil replaced. And suggest that an easy mod to install a relay with the key since full power to the lights runs thru the switch and can lead to early failure.

Its a good bike. welcome

Hey folks, I'm new to the forum and I am looking for information on the royal star tour deluxe. I am looking at a 2007 RSTD with 22,00 miles. I pretty much know all the positives of the RSTD so I'm looking to hear about any gremlins it may have. What's the reliability of the RSTD? Any big maintenance issues I should know. Are there any major issues I should look for. I don't want a "3rd gear failure" type of issue like the roadliner. I thought I read that there are very little to no changes in this bike throughout the years. Thanks for any input.

See here

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?1067-A-list-of-known-problems-on-the-Second-Gen-Venture

The 2005-2009 RSTD is 98% mechanically the same as 1999-2013 RS Venture, but without the fairing and top box and electronics. Mechanically the gas tank and seat are also different between the Venture and RSTD. Very reliable and many have upwards of 200k miles on them. The single rear shock is a common item that may need replacement, or rebuilding. A few need a coil replaced. And suggest that an easy mod to install a relay with the key since full power to the lights runs thru the switch and can lead to early failure.

Its a good bike. welcome

Great info from everyone! Thanks! Sounds great! I will say that being from Maine I will be doing some riding on our many great back roads. Any thoughts on the RSTD on the back roads?

Great info from everyone! Thanks! Sounds great! I will say that being from Maine I will be doing some riding on our many great back roads. Any thoughts on the RSTD on the back roads?

It will not handle like a sport bike but you can scrape pegs with ease. On the bottom back end of the boards is an (L) shape piece of Tungsten steel to keep from scraping the boards up, I have replaced these twice on my RSV.

It will not handle like a sport bike but you can scrape pegs with ease. On the bottom back end of the boards is an (L) shape piece of Tungsten steel to keep from scraping the boards up, I have replaced these twice on my RSV.

Good to know! My zrx1200r will handle the "sport bike" like activities lol. Being able to scrape the boards a bit tells me a lot. Thanks! It sounds like I will start looking seriously for a RSTD and buy in December. Thanks for the input.

Trex,

Welcome to the site. I have a 2007 RSTD. I bought it new in 2008, and my wife and I have ridden it across several states (as you can see from my signature). It has been a perfect bike for our needs. It is great on the interstate, and great on country curvy roads. As mentioned by others, it isn't a sport bike, so you aren't gonna set records zipping through the twisties, but it handles them just fine. We have ridden it on the Tail of the Dragon, and many roads just like that here in our state of Arkansas. For many years, I pondered switching to a Venture, because I thought I wanted the trunk, and the fairing that it offered. But, in the end, we have settled into loving our RSTD, and decided against making the change. When we travel for long distance rides, we carry a huge Saddleman t-bag on the back, with a roll bag on top, and that allows us to pack way more content than the trunk on a Venture could handle, even with a trunk rack and bag.

Other things I like:

I really like the bike being transformable. Meaning, in less than a minute, you can yank the windshield off, and/or the backrest/luggage rack, and the bike becomes a cool cruiser bike.

I love the fact that it has cruise control. I use the heck out of it. And, it is a must for long distance touring.

I love the 4 cylinder motor. Simply put, it is one of the greatest motorcycle engines ever built. EVER!

Locking saddlebags. A lot of cruiser style, windshield bikes don't have that.

The thing I love the most about it is: Nobody knows what it is. I'm kind of a guy that tries to steer away from the sea of sameness. I like unique stuff. This bike certainly fits that description. When people ask what I ride, their eyes usually start glazing over when I tell what I ride, because most people have never heard of it. It's unique.

Things that I changed, or had an issue with:

The stock seat!!!! The stock seat on this thing is made for day runs. It about killed me and my wife when we first bought it. We would ride for about an hour, and our tail bones would be numb, and we would hafta get off for a rest. It was sending the message that an aftermarket seat was a must. I had decided I was gonna buy a Mustang brand seat, because that's pretty much all I had ever heard of. But, I ran into a guy at a bike shop who was riding a Honda Valkarie, and he insisted I look at and sit on his seat that he had on his bike. It was made by a company called Ultimate Seats. He said he had tried Mustangs before, and the Ultimate was way better. So, for some crazy reason I listened to this complete stranger, and I ordered Ultimate seats and backrests fr myself and my wife. OMG! It changed our world. That was 8 years ago, and the seat is still phenomenal! Still today, I can ride a whole tank of gas, and stop at the gas station, stay on the bike while i fill up with gas, and head down the road. It's that god fo a seat.

The clutch spring - The clutch started slipping at about 20K miles. This is a known weak point for Ventures and RSTD's. No worries at all though. It is a very easy fix, with descriptions here on our site. We have a member that sells a replacement kit.

Shifter linkage bolt - That sucker fell off while we were on a ride, but luckily it was laying on the floor board when we came to a stop at a red light. Make sure you Loctite that dude.

Creaking rearend - Don't let that worry ya. It's an easy fix that we can walk you through. You just have to take your rear wheel off and grease the splines and pins. Super easy.

There has been nothing else on my bike go wrong that was not a wear item. I have changed break pads a couple times, and get this, I have had the bike over 9 years, and finally had to put a new battery and change a fuel pump a couple months ago.

Now that it's 10 model years old, there is something about it that makes us want to keep it. It has been such a fine ride, we kinda feel like we would be betraying her if we sold her now. She has been a loyal gal. Carried us faithfully across some lonely barren lands where if she would've broken down, we would've been screwed. But she didn't, and she's still ticking today.

Go get you one. You'll love it.

Welcome, Trex!~

Think we tried sending you a reply earlier, but lost it in a power failure, and haven't had time since.

Fortunately BigLenny in the meantime covered it all. Only thing we'd add (couldn't see AGE in your profile) is to be careful leaning her over at low speed, or dead stop! It's an awesome bike, but seriously top heavy. If it starts to go over, you will NOT stop it, and if you are 50 or over, look for somebody around to help get her upright. Seriously.

Oh... the seat; Airhawk for around $200 CDN is your cheapest, quickest solution. It will be used on every bike you'll own.

Aside from that trivial issue, go get'r! The tip-off on reliability; in Canada we have a 5 year WARRANTY! On a bike???~

Rgds, WRIDR

Trex,

I got two of them.

I have my original 2006 Midnight RSTD now at 110K miles. It still looks great and rides great.

But with what seems to be a drop in pricing on the RSTD and RSV lately,,,, and the introduction of the new models which I don't plan to buy,, I bought another 2006 RSTD, mint with 6K miles for $4200 at the end of August.

So for the last while, I have been moving my accessories over from old to new and then adding some other stuff to the new. And next week I am giving my old to my Son-in-law. Keeping it in the family and I get a fresh horse.

I know a guy above Richmond, VA that has a very clean and well maintained,,, loaded with accessories, 20K miles selling for $4K even. If I had not just bought one,, I would be headed that way.

Here is a link to the Face Book page (he may be a member here, not sure).

https://www.facebook.com/groups/21338336667/

Scroll down till you see a black RSTD for sale by David Williams

But, these are awesome bikes and you've come to a good place to learn.

PM me if you want.

Mike Griswold Mike G in SC

Trex, if you're serious about this, you don't need to hunt!

You NEED to get to "Just above Richmond, Va" for a good long look at that bike the guy has for sale.

If it seems in good shape, and the owner hasn't messed up its innards, you NEED to bring that home, in a covered trailer.

We don't like your chances of riding it home - some of those hills between his 'n yours will quite likely see the odd flake of snow at any time now.

Git'r done, Son!~

Trex, if you're serious about this, you don't need to hunt!

You NEED to get to "Just above Richmond, Va" for a good long look at that bike the guy has for sale.

If it seems in good shape, and the owner hasn't messed up its innards, you NEED to bring that home, in a covered trailer.

We don't like your chances of riding it home - some of those hills between his 'n yours will quite likely see the odd flake of snow at any time now.

Git'r done, Son!~

Yep, same bike I was talking about!

Well folks, great replies! Thank you all. I've been a little distracted for a bit since we lost power due to that storm that ripped through maine over a week ago. Nine days with out power! Thank God for the generator. I'm 51 and on a good day hit the scales at 175. So I like to think I can handle this bike but will take that top heaviness into consideration. And I will check out the FB post also. I love the style and look of this bike and the reliability sounds very good. I have found a good handful that are worth looking at but I just need to wait for December. I'll keep ya posted. Mike G and WRDR thanks for the info.