IGNORED

Air mixture needle assy "O" ring

I was cleaning my carburetors and I removed the air mixture needles. I noticed at reassembly that one of the "O" rings had been left out. So I took them each out to find out which one was missing the ring. That's when I noticed something really odd. There is a metal washer and an "O" ring on each needle. Seams to me that the metal washer should go between the spring and the "O" ring. (To protect the ring if the spring rotates.) However, looking at the exploded parts breakdown, it seams that the correct order is to put the spring on the needle, then the "O" ring then the tiny metal washer...insert and screw it down. I wish I had paid attention when I took it apart but I would swear that the "O" ring was on the outside. Can anyone verify the correct order for me? I am waiting on new "T" fittings and bowl gaskets to come in, so I have a few days. Please don't guess. If you have a benched carb for reference please check it out. I attached a portion of the exploded view I found online. I couldn't get it centered but the needle assembly is at the very bottom.

2_4.png

I was cleaning my carburetors and I removed the air mixture needles. I noticed at reassembly that one of the "O" rings had been left out. So I took them each out to find out which one was missing the ring. That's when I noticed something really odd. There is a metal washer and an "O" ring on each needle. Seams to me that the metal washer should go between the spring and the "O" ring. (To protect the ring if the spring rotates.) However, looking at the exploded parts breakdown, it seams that the correct order is to put the spring on the needle, then the "O" ring then the tiny metal washer...insert and screw it down. I wish I had paid attention when I took it apart but I would swear that the "O" ring was on the outside. Can anyone verify the correct order for me? I am waiting on new "T" fittings and bowl gaskets to come in, so I have a few days. Please don't guess. If you have a benched carb for reference please check it out. I attached a portion of the exploded view I found online. I couldn't get it centered but the needle assembly is at the very bottom.

screw then spring, washer then oring should be on outside... and I think the diagram shows this but i can see where the misconception be

I would think that you would do things in the right order, so for me: hold the needle in your right hand, then with the left hand grab the spring and oversert it onto the needle, now carefully so as not to get injured, take the metal washer in your left hand and carefully place it over the end of the needle so that it sits squarely on the spring. Next find the little rubber o-ring where of you have spoken and with utmost precision lay it over the end of the needle and gently push it on until it touches the metal washer, again with your left hand. You now have a ready to insert unit to be gently screwed into the hole where it had been removed from some time ago. It may be a good idea to fully investigate the bottom of the hole for any left over o-rings that might have been left there from former generations of MC mechanics. If by chance your little rubber o-ring took a walk while you were attempting to get things in the right order???? good luck in finding another, same goes for the washer or the spring.

Happy wrenching!

I would think that you would do things in the right order, so for me: hold the needle in your right hand, then with the left hand grab the spring and oversert it onto the needle, now carefully so as not to get injured, take the metal washer in your left hand and carefully place it over the end of the needle so that it sits squarely on the spring. Next find the little rubber o-ring where of you have spoken and with utmost precision lay it over the end of the needle and gently push it on until it touches the metal washer, again with your left hand. You now have a ready to insert unit to be gently screwed into the hole where it had been removed from some time ago. It may be a good idea to fully investigate the bottom of the hole for any left over o-rings that might have been left there from former generations of MC mechanics. If by chance your little rubber o-ring took a walk while you were attempting to get things in the right order???? good luck in finding another, same goes for the washer or the spring.

Happy wrenching!

I could sit in the sunshine eating endless Hot Dogs and drinking cokes while watching/listening Carl instruct people on working on their bikes all day long and into the night.. In college business writing I was always getting marked down for being "wordy" and this frustrated me greatly.. I think Carl missed his calling as a College Professor of Business Writing cause I think the student body could have learned a LOT from him with a WHOLE lot less frustration = oh well,, guess I will just have to overlook the abuse I took at the hands of Professors who had not a clue and be thankful that here, later in life,, the Lord led me into a classroom where true leadership abounds = YOU da MAN @Marcarl !!:guitarist 2:

I could sit in the sunshine eating endless Hot Dogs and drinking cokes while watching/listening Carl instruct people on working on their bikes all day long and into the night.. In college business writing I was always getting marked down for being "wordy" and this frustrated me greatly.. I think Carl missed his calling as a College Professor of Business Writing cause I think the student body could have learned a LOT from him with a WHOLE lot less frustration = oh well,, guess I will just have to overlook the abuse I took at the hands of Professors who had not a clue and be thankful that here, later in life,, the Lord led me into a classroom where true leadership abounds = YOU da MAN Marcarl !!:guitarist 2:

The real reason for such a detailed and indepth instruction diabolical is that you would not feel alone. I make a bit of a stab at it, but you, Puc, take the cake. There is no other that could hold a candle to your vivid descriptions of the occurrences that go on. You are the winner!!!! you hold the GOLD star, the red ribbon, the blue ribbon and the trophy. So, just so that you and Bum have company, I,,, once in a great while,,, attempt to develop a tribute to you guys by showing what I have learned so far. It ain't much mind you, my brain is getting on in years and it seems that finding room inside the grey matter is getting to be a difficult task, but I will keep trying to store more of your instructions therein. Continue to be our Leader Master Puc, for without a leader a group falls apart.

Glad you feel inspired enough now to carry forward. but as is the case with myself and maybe some others, we are not always sure that we have given out the right information or that the instructions didn't lead somebody down the garden path as is were. So, in keeping with the flavor of this particular family, it would behoove us if you were so inclined to visit back here once more to inform us as to whether we did right or wrong, or maybe somewhere in-between. You may also continue to present more problems that you encounter, for we derive great joy from discussion, especially when one member can set another on a straighter line than he or she was in the habit of following.