IGNORED

What Eye Protection in the rain?

Kretz

Summer here in BC's Lower Mainland has been has been unbelievable, Temps in 20's & 30's for months now, sunny almost every day, no rain to speak of & some days so hot you couldn't "do" anything. But it will all come to an end soon & the rainy season will start. I don't mind riding in the rain (though I don't go looking for it either). It's also nice to ride when it's cooler especially wearing "the gear".

My Question is, When you guys ride in the rain how do you protect your eyes? I've asked a number of people & they all seem to have the same problems.

Many wear sunglasses or plain glasses if it's dull, rain droplets collect on the lenses which then makes seeing difficult if not dangerous. Wiping them doesn't seem to help much as that just streaks the rain on the lenses....

So what do you all do or use when it's raining?

Thanks for your replies

In rain heavy enough to get into my eyes I like to jump on the Ick-spressway and speed up to +80 so I stay dry behind Tweeks windshield,, then,, if its raining real hard I lean in and snuggle close behind her shield - amazing how dry ya can stay by doing this.. If its REALLY pouring when doing this I will take my hat and tuck in around those open vents down under her handle bars where her triple trees meet the her neck on one side and hold my hand over the other side so the rain dont come flying up from there and get in my eyes.. If it's raining harder than that and the rain contains hail stones much larger then grape size or, I am caught behind a bunch of geezers going 10 mph in their cages cause they are afraid they might get their cars wet or,, I get caught on the Ick-spressway in a construction zone (as shown in vid below) I will seek refuge = works for me..

S

Many wear sunglasses or plain glasses if it's dull, rain droplets collect on the lenses which then makes seeing difficult if not dangerous. Wiping them doesn't seem to help much as that just streaks the rain on the lenses....

So what do you all do or use when it's raining?

This definitely has been the best riding summer for years. :sun: :biker:

When it comes to eye protection when riding in the rain, I don't do anything special. I wear specs so there is some built in protection there. To keep them as clear of rain as possible I lower the face shield about a third of the way. Similar to pulling the peak of a ball cap down to eyebrow level. The eyeglasses will eventually get wet though so when they get particularly glarey (that's an invented word) I find myself looking over top of the lenses through the crack left by the face shield.

It can be a bit of a bee-atch at night though with glare on the specs, glare on the face shield and glare on the windscreen.

Don't think there is a magic bullet for this. :biker: :rain2:

When I rode without a shield, the flip down clear helmet shield kept the rain out of eyes and the wind kept the rain from doing anything other than run right off the face shield.

With the windshield, I do what puc does, hide. Even though I wear ATGATT, I still don't like riding in the rain. Visibility sucks, for sure.

Glad I live out West...not many rain days around....

'09 RSV with Clearview OEM height windscreen. I ride with a full face helmet. In rain I'll admit I slow down to what I feel is a safe speed depending on on the conditions. I normally ride with the helmet shield all the way up. In rain I lower it so that it is still above the top of my glasses (prescription glasses). I've tried lowering it but looking thru wet glasses, raindrops on the face shield, and then thru a rain covered windscreen....not good. Keeping it above glass level is one less layer of raindrops to look thru. With the visor partially down it keeps the rain off my face/glasses.

Short of a full face everything will be a compromise. I also wear prescription specs. I have a pair of lighter colored wrap around sunglasses that work well in combination with my 3/4 Bell Mag 9. Amber lenses are my choice in low light instances like rain or night if I have them. But very few shields are made in that color. Good luck in your search.

Thanks for all the replies guys, I do have a full face, but the shield still gets water on it.

Does anyone put anything on the shield to help the rain to run off? Same applies to the bike screen. (thinking clean screen or something like) to make the rain bead & run off cleanly.

Normally I use amber sunglasses, darker at the top and lighter at the bottom. It helps when going from light to dark and back again. At night or in the rain I use yellow shooting glasses. They block glare without reducing vision and you can actually see through the rain with them.

Thanks for all the replies guys, I do have a full face, but the shield still gets water on it.

Does anyone put anything on the shield to help the rain to run off? Same applies to the bike screen. (thinking clean screen or something like) to make the rain bead & run off cleanly.

I use RainX sometimes on my old windshield but its usually long gone by the time the rain hits from me cleaning my windshield at gas stations LOL.. I know its not good for the plastic but I regularly clean my windshield with PlastX and any way so it dont matter.. Pledge spray on furniture polish works awesome too but I am usually to lazy to go inside and steal the stuff from Tippy..

I keep my sunglasses wrapped in one of those micro fiber windshield rags (cheap at Menards). When I clean bugs off my windshield,, or if I am riding my R1 with my full face flip down shield I do the same, I like to wet the shield - rub in circles with my finger tips to loosen bugs (NEVER use paper towels in those gas station stands = will scratch em bad) - grab my micro fiber and clean it off.. Its amazing how even this helps a LOT with rain run off...

I'm about to explore the new Rain-X for plastic. If it works like the original, it will allow the rain to come off improving visibility in the rain....

https://www.rainx.com/product/plastic-water-repellent/rain-x-plastic-water-repellent/#.Wa4h8tQrI_4

Hope it works....maybe it will make the bugs come off easier too. Darn little critters have iron in their blood or whatever they use. They dry and are like concrete to get off!

I'm about to explore the new Rain-X for plastic. If it works like the original, it will allow the rain to come off improving visibility in the rain....

https://www.rainx.com/product/plastic-water-repellent/rain-x-plastic-water-repellent/#.Wa4h8tQrI_4

Hope it works....maybe it will make the bugs come off easier too. Darn little critters have iron in their blood or whatever they use. They dry and are like concrete to get off!

Looks great,, if it works (and I have no doubt it will) = for us folks living in the rain belts,, maybe fill a small spray bottle with this and use it for regular windshield cleaning..

Let us know what you discover will ya Vaz!!

Thanks

Normally I use amber sunglasses, darker at the top and lighter at the bottom. It helps when going from light to dark and back again. At night or in the rain I use yellow shooting glasses. They block glare without reducing vision and you can actually see through the rain with them.

I sometimes use yellow glasses too, they alter contrast & work quite well.

BTW Sailor did you see this post:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?132233-Who-s-Santa&p=1017233#post1017233

I was on your island on Saturday for a flying visit helping friends move some stuff over & to seeing their new home. I picked up the local paper on the ferry. Ganges was crazy busy, last hurrah of summer I guess.

Did you pickup the local paper the Driftwood? If you did that guy on the front page in the Santa suit on the Venture was me. We had about 95 bikes show up for the weekend and run. What part of the island are your friends moving to? We are on St Mary lake.

I use the biggest windshield I can get and keep it waxed with furniture polish so the rain beads up, the faster you go the clearer the windshield. I use a full face helmet all the time, so I flip up the face shield just enough so that I can see below it and it acts just like a big awning! Finally, I wear a pair of amber or yellow tinted field glasses which greatly improves visibility in the rain!!!

Did you pickup the local paper the Driftwood? If you did that guy on the front page in the Santa suit on the Venture was me. We had about 95 bikes show up for the weekend and run. What part of the island are your friends moving to? We are on St Mary lake.

Yes I picked up the "Driftwood", that's why I started the "Who's Santa" thread.... I Guessed it was you, well done hope the ride was a great success.

Our friends are moving onto Arbutus Road at Southey Point. We are looking on SSI too but it's all expensive!

Which Realtor does your wife work PT for?

Edited by Kretz

Janet works for Susan De Stein. We are on the corner of North End and Fairway.

The run went great. As usual the RCMP told us to piss off. They turn out full force for the gay/lesbian events but won't lift a finger for underprivileged children. Last year we raised $5000.00. I don't know the final total this year yet.

Janet works for Susan De Stein. We are on the corner of North End and Fairway.

The run went great. As usual the RCMP told us to piss off. They turn out full force for the gay/lesbian events but won't lift a finger for underprivileged children. Last year we raised $5000.00. I don't know the final total this year yet.

It's getting a bit that way here too. For the Fraser Valley Run the RCMP only have a token presence & the organizers have to employ flagging companies to police junctions etc. I believe some of the flaggers donate their time. Police aren't really in evidence.

For the big Vancouver run the police are involved initially, but once we leave the Tri-Cities & get more towards Vancouver & near the PNE fairgrounds we have to obey all traffic laws, stop at signs, lights, pedestrians flitting on the road, cars cutting in & out of the line. It can get a bit hectic.

Been shopping & we'll be doing the FV Run this weekend (weather permitting) but the Vancouver one is no longer as much fun as it used to be.

I am a member of the Defenders MC Chapter 12 which is in Victoria. We are having a poker run Sept 10th starting at the Pro Pat legion on the Gorge and going out to Sooke . Janet and I are going over to help out. Registration starts at 0900, depart by 1000 and finish at Buckys Tap House. Everyone welcome.