IGNORED

My riding season so far

Freebird

It's been a great summer so far. In late winter, I installed new brand new Dunlop E3s on my RSV. Had them mounted, took them back home and installed the wheels, got it off the lift and it has sat there ever since. Actually, I did back it out of the garage and wash it. Pulled it back in and covered it up. I have ridden exactly ZERO miles this year.

I also have two nearly new Yamaha Waverunners sitting and covered. Haven't even uncovered them this year.

Something has to give pretty soon. Between my full time job and running my Brother in Laws stairlift business, I'm working 7 days a week. I spend about 10-12 hours or more per day on Stairlift sales calls, service calls, and installs on my days off.

I actually took vacation this past week but worked all day every day getting caught up on Stairlift installs. I think I installed 12 units in July and have another install this morning, two sales calls this afternoon, another install tomorrow. I already have 3 installs scheduled for next weekend and that does not include what I will probably sell later today.

So, it looks doubtful that I'll put any miles on the bike or the Waverunners this year. I'm glad to be able to help a family member but this old man is getting fairly broken down physically and mentally.

The good news is. Yes, the sun will come up tomorrow. :sun1:

The only thing I'll ask is, do you really need 2 jobs? Maybe it's time to let one of them go.

I did what you are doing years ago, when it got to the point that I was falling asleep at traffic lights and pockets full of money that I had no time to enjoy, I gave up my paint contracting business.

I then was able to live and enjoy my family and life.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Raggie has a good point. I do feel for you though and somewhat understand what you are dealing with. I bet it's not the money that is the culprit, just a feeling of responsibility and devotion. I don't really think it's a bad thing that the toys sit for a while during a time of busyness but you do need to look after yourself first. If you don't, you will loose both jobs and then have a real bad feeling of failure. Normally a person can work 40 to 50 hrs per week, maybe a few more if it's all at home, but more than that will start to tell in family relations, health, and personal welfare. So take a hard look at your situation and those around you, decide what you can do and then make the hard adjustments. During that time do some knee work and check things out with Him who knows all and will look after His little ones so that not a hair falls without Him knowing about it. The answer you get may not be the one you were thinking, but trust Him to lead you and all will work out better.

Sounds crazy busy! I had no idea that stair lifts were in such demand. Is B-I-L having health challenges? You should probably give yourself one day to ride just for a Mental Health day!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

NEVER FEAR--------------will hold the 'banner' high fer ya-----------will consume an 'adult beverage' and REMEMBER--your sacrifice and undying commitment to WORK--------------keep workin---SOOO more can receive the fruits of your labor------------------------PSS REM: WNY rally:325:

True that to all of the above. I don't think anyone here is surprised because of the kinda of guy we all know that you are. But, it would be kinda selfish of you to work yourself into a state of ill health. We all as well as many others, I'm sure, depend on you too much.

Probably none of my business, and I get it your working to keep your brother in law's business going. But, from what I can glean from what you've said it seems doubtful he will be able to return to running it. Just wondering if it would more helpful to sell the business and devote the proceed to his care.

I'm sure you have considered the best options and am doing the right thing. Forgive me for sticking my nose where it doesn't belong.

I think you should plan on taking some time for yourself and ride to Vogel if you can manage it.

Man if I was up in your area for the summer while school was out we could have worked something out. Maybe you can find someone to work a day or 2 part time "contract" and then "the company" pays them on a 1099. None of that unemployment and work comp stuff to worry about. they pay their own taxes etc. If you dont take care of you, who will?

Here's the thing as for having two jobs and loads of money. I need both jobs because I need my job to support me. I'm not keeping a dime of the stairlift money. There is not chance that Terry is going to recover. He has pancreatic cancer and they did all that they could. We have Hospice coming in a couple of times a week to keep tabs on his pain meds and vitals but it's just a matter of time. I have been running the business since before Christmas and it is doing well but all proceeds are going to him. I'm not taking a salary or cut of any kind. He needs what I am bringing in to pay his own bills. So, it's just keep on keeping on as long as it takes.

I would think about hiring somebody to help but finding somebody reliable and who I can trust to treat the customers with the respect and kindness that our elderly deserve is very difficult.

I did finalize another sale today and have another pending from the two sales calls that I made after my install this morning. It really is a pretty good business. I actually own the business now. He has already signed everything over to me but I'm just not taking any money out of it. When his suffering is over and he is in a better place, I will have a big decision to make. Keep my current job or quit and keep the stairlift business going. I know that I can't do both forever.

To top things off, about the time I finally thought I day was done. It was around 4:30, I got a call from a customer in Strongsville, OH who had run her stairlift over her walking cane and broke the front limit switches. So, had to load back up and head to Strongsville. Only about a 40 minute drive, about 30 minute repair, and 40 minute drive back home but after an already brutal day, it seemed like forever.

Don,

We all need a family member like you! What you are doing for Terry is awesome and you have my utmost respect for doing what you're doing. If I were closer I'd offer to take some of the load off you. Be mindful of your own health, working those hours can take it's toll.

In my first comment I thought circumstances were different than they are.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

There has to be a decision. Either you want to be an employee, or you want to be a employer. Tough decision.. Looks like the stair lift biz would be the way to go, but that would mean cutting the umbilical cord to all that security you've built over the years as an employee. Stepping out and being your own boss is a scary thing. If business slows, so does your income, but from what your saying the stair lift biz has a great renewable customer resource... Folks will always be getting older.. Which ever way you end up going I still feel for ya. Back in my early 20's I worked two jobs and 80 hours a week. Almost didn't make it to my late 20's... :-)

Don you are such a good person. I do hope you figure out some way to give yourself a break. You need some time for enjoyment. Now in my case, I have been on the bike two times so far this year. I do not have any work demands as you do, I just seem to be losing my desire to ride. Ron still rides short rides around town. I actually think if we had a trike I might want to ride more. I guess I have the feeling I am being hard on Moped, carting my sorry butt along on our big huge bike. I hope things get better for you, take care.

Yama Mama

God Bless you my brother as you stand by your family member during his time of great need - PLEASE know that you are in our prayers as you and your family work thru this trying time.. Also know that Tip and I continue to lift Terry up in our thoughts and prayers Don..

Not long ago when I was much younger I was in Upper Management (Plant Superintendent) and in the process of opening my own Bike Shop = many longggg hours... I found the need for consistency in my alone time with the Lord to be increased tremendously during that period of my life - at least in my case this helped a lot for getting me/us through it all.. I hope I dont come off as "a friend of Job" in that comment my friend and mean it only as a possible help... Just a few extra minutes alone with God each morning seemed to help in my/our case...

Something else,, I know that those "Go Fund Me" things have helped a lot of folks.. Is there any chance you may have something like that happening on Terrys behalf? Maybe that would give folks a chance to help financially if they chose to? If there is something like that already out there - could you please post up a link = THANKS!!

Prayers Up!!

Puc