Just ordered my 3rd one of that exact tire for my 83,,, LOTS of really fun miles sitting right there I tell ya!! Yep,, the R stands for Rear..

The bars on a 1st Gen are .875 thou in diameter or 7/8th of an inch.. They have 7/8th bars.. Buying grips?

Yep,, the R stands for Rear..

:sign yeah that:

If the tire were a radial its size would be marked as 140/90R16.

By the way, the Shinko 230 is Aramid belted. Normally a belted tire would be labeled 140/90B16 but for some reason Shinko doesn't seem to indicate on the sidewall that it's a belted tire.

Cowpuc, I will probably get grips soon but have to get a friction cruise. My Venture doesn't have cruise or level ride system. You hang onto grips more than anyone I've ever known, which grips do you recommend?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Cowpuc, I will probably get grips soon but have to get a friction cruise. My Venture doesn't have cruise or level ride system. You hang onto grips more than anyone I've ever known, which grips do you recommend?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Believe it or not personally I LOVE the stock grips.. I LOVE the little xtra length they add and the flexible end on them that I can twist downward when I wanna rest my hands on my knees when I am all stretched out and enjoying the day.. Problem is (if you consider it a problem - personally never really minded) as those stock grips get old they tend to grub up the hands pretty good with black rubber - same token,, NOTHING has the feel of those originals either.. Right now I am running some pretty fancy aft markets that are bigger in diameter than stock with a soft foamie grip between the end pieces and the chrome pieces that mate the perches.. Definite bling put on by a previous owner but wayyy beyond what I really like..

Only electronic cruise I have had on one was my first one - an 84 that I grabbed out of an estate in 87.. All the rest, including this one I too have been snapping down the friction cruise when the need arises.. Those things work great.. Matter of fact,, I just removed one off one of my parts scoots and stuck in on my R1 - I probably got one of the few liter super bikes with cruise:big-grin-emoticon:

Really handy there cause I can be putzing along at 70 on it, lock er down and sit up to give my poor old stiff retired back a rest while I ride no handed in a sit up position - creativity has its advantages.. :grandpa:

All the best setting your cruise up Ty..

That is a good tire. I ran 2 on my 2nd gen. Well technically one. The first one only went like 1500 miles before it got KO'd by something. I did a road side plug and was going to dismount and patch, but didnt feel comfortable with the way the cut was. And hey for $80 bucks or so you dont feel robbed getting a new one to feel safe. They are also a reinforced tire If I'm not mistaken.