IGNORED

My New Trailer

Rick Haywood

BEAUTIFUL RICK = MAJOR CONGRATS!!!:thumbsup:

Looking at it reminds me of a question I had for any of you trailer haulers out there.. I am NO bike pulling a trailer guy, as a matter of fact - I just recently had the opportunity to pull the 2nd trailer behind a motorcycle I have ever pulled. A friend was having issues with his scoot and he asked me to take it for a short ride with trailer in tow and give my thoughts on his issues.. I did so.. After discussing the issues he was asking about, I asked him one pertaining to trailer towing with a scoot..

His was loaded with probably 100 pounds of gear - was a utility type of trailer similar to yours. Just to see what would happen I slammed on the brakes hard in a corner to see if I could feel trailer push upon doing so - WOWZY = did I!! Upon a quick check when I got back I noticed no trailer brakes... He said its normal to run with no brakes on the trailer.. Is this so?

@cowpuc

There are a couple of the makers of the camper trailers that offer brakes as an option, but as said, most MC trailers do not have brakes. Most of the trailers that I have pulled behind my truck have had electric brakes and even there it makes a world of difference. I found a place that sells some little 7" electric brakes just right for out little MC trailers that I have been thinking of putting onto my MC trailer. I just need to get the time, money and ambition to all align at the same time.

I am not sure how brakes vs no brakes will affect the handling of the bike. Applying the trailer brake will cause a weight transfer forward putting more tongue weight on the bike and the pull may be trying to pull the bike into a deeper lean in a corner. where with no brakes the trailer is trying to stand the bike up in a corner. I can see where getting the controller set correctly will be a critical adjustment on a bike.

As with everything there are pros and cons.

You just have to decide which pros and cons are the most important to you to decide which way is better for you. The discussion is about the same over swivel hitches. It boils down to personal preference.

Nice Trailer Rick Haywood!!!!

Up until a few months ago I too had never pulled a trailer on a motorcycle before, but while I was down in Arizona on my "Epic motorcycle adventure from Calgary to Phoenix" my wife asked me to bring some relatively large items back for her from our house in AZ. I said "Sweety, you understand that I'm on a motorcycle, right?" Anyway, I never let an opportunity to purchase a new toy slip by, especially under the cover and justification of needing to benefit my wife. So my next statement was "Honey if only I had a trailer, think of all the items I could bring home for you on my trip!"

So the search begain.....find the cheapest motorcycle trailer you can get on Craigs List, and get it road worthy in the next 3 days before I need to leave on the 2500km trip back to Canada. I love challenges like this!!!!!

And so the story begins of "Buba the $100 motorcycle trailer". To save you all the gory details, I found one that had been sitting under a tree in the previous owners yard for over 10 years, made the deal for $100 cash, straightened out some legal issues with the trailers Arizona title and got her registered with AZ plates under my name. Did a quick sand, patch, and paint job......new tires, repacked the bearings, rewired......installed the hitch on Walt my 1986 Venture Royale and hit the road fully loaded with all the motorcycle parts I can't take on the airplane as well as all the items that my Wife wanted me to bring back which I used to justify this purchase and adventure in the first place.

She (yes Buba is a she) was in rough shape on the outside, but the carpet on the inside was spick and span. Boy the desert is hard on items like this when they just sit out in the sun for years. Long story short, "Buba the $100 motorcycle trailer" got finished in 3 days and made the trip back to Canada without a single problem. Even with it loaded up I could bearly tell it was hooked up to the bike during my trip which really surprised me as I was expecting to have braking issues etc......but this particular trailer is so light weight, small, and free rolling that it was a true delight to have along for the ride.

Here are a few pics during the process......yes it is not a fancy trailer like yours Rick.....but good enough for me and the girls I go with!

IMG_1114.jpg IMG_1148.jpg IMG_1152.jpg IMG_1172.jpg IMG_1182.jpg

Rick, is that an Espancade? If so, I would like to know what you paid for it if you don't mind sending me a PM. I have a chance to pick one up at what I THINK is a very cheap price. Thinking about buying it just to resell.

Don Yes it is an Escapade and I do not mind telling you what I paid.......remember I said I stole it 2010 and I gave $1300 for it.

By the way what color is the one you are looking at.........If it is res we may work a trade LOL

Edited by Rick Haywood

Nice Trailer Rick Haywood!!!!

Up until a few months ago I too had never pulled a trailer on a motorcycle before, but while I was down in Arizona on my "Epic motorcycle adventure from Calgary to Phoenix" my wife asked me to bring some relatively large items back for her from our house in AZ. I said "Sweety, you understand that I'm on a motorcycle, right?" Anyway, I never let an opportunity to purchase a new toy slip by, especially under the cover and justification of needing to benefit my wife. So my next statement was "Honey if only I had a trailer, think of all the items I could bring home for you on my trip!"

So the search begain.....find the cheapest motorcycle trailer you can get on Craigs List, and get it road worthy in the next 3 days before I need to leave on the 2500km trip back to Canada. I love challenges like this!!!!!

And so the story begins of "Buba the $100 motorcycle trailer". To save you all the gory details, I found one that had been sitting under a tree in the previous owners yard for over 10 years, made the deal for $100 cash, straightened out some legal issues with the trailers Arizona title and got her registered with AZ plates under my name. Did a quick sand, patch, and paint job......new tires, repacked the bearings, rewired......installed the hitch on Walt my 1986 Venture Royale and hit the road fully loaded with all the motorcycle parts I can't take on the airplane as well as all the items that my Wife wanted me to bring back which I used to justify this purchase and adventure in the first place.

She (yes Buba is a she) was in rough shape on the outside, but the carpet on the inside was spick and span. Boy the desert is hard on items like this when they just sit out in the sun for years. Long story short, "Buba the $100 motorcycle trailer" got finished in 3 days and made the trip back to Canada without a single problem. Even with it loaded up I could bearly tell it was hooked up to the bike during my trip which really surprised me as I was expecting to have braking issues etc......but this particular trailer is so light weight, small, and free rolling that it was a true delight to have along for the ride.

Here are a few pics during the process......yes it is not a fancy trailer like yours Rick.....but good enough for me and the girls I go with!

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=109845 http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=109846 http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=109847 http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=109848 http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=109849

I use to have the same trailer. They are made in Iowa and I loved it. It was good till I hit a Deer in wisconsin and it smashed the front of it. Had it painted to match my 2000 MM

Don Yes it is an Escapade and I do not mind telling you what I paid.......remember I said I stole it 2010 and I gave $1300 for it.

By the way what color is the one you are looking at.........If it is res we may work a trade LOL

Yes, you stole it. :) Good job.

@Rick Haywood Sorry to hear about the Deer collision! So it was made in Iowa you say.....do you happen to remember the name of the manufacturer as I would like to do some research on it. Thanks for the insight!

Hopefully some day I can graduate up to one like your new model....that is one sweet trailer you have, and at a fantastic price you stole it at too!

I use to have the same trailer. They are made in Iowa and I loved it. It was good till I hit a Deer in wisconsin and it smashed the front of it. Had it painted to match my 2000 MM

@Rick Haywood Sorry to hear about the Deer collision! So it was made in Iowa you say.....do you happen to remember the name of the manufacturer as I would like to do some research on it. Thanks for the insight!

Hopefully some day I can graduate up to one like your new model....that is one sweet trailer you have, and at a fantastic price you stole it at too!

Motorvation the lady who owns the company is real pleasant and full of information.k

Nice job on the repaint. In case you didn't know your trailer is a Backpack 20 Motorvation. The only long distance trip I towed mine was from Sacramento to Cody Wy. A little over 3000 miles total and a lot of the time I forgot it was there.

http://motorvation.com/bpk20ry2.jpg

Here's a pic of mine...

100_0025.jpg

100_0029.jpg

Thanks @Condor for the details and pics! So that is what she looked like before it was left to deteriorate in the desert sun. Yours looks like it came out of the showroom, very nice!

Nice job on the repaint. In case you didn't know your trailer is a Backpack 20 Motorvation. The only long distance trip I towed mine was from Sacramento to Cody Wy. A little over 3000 miles total and a lot of the time I forgot it was there.

http://motorvation.com/bpk20ry2.jpg

Here's a pic of mine...

Thanks Condor for the details and pics! So that is what she looked like before it was left to deteriorate in the desert sun. Yours looks like it came out of the showroom, very nice!

Actually I bought mine used also. $600 bucks..thought I'd stole it... That is until some one stole it from me. Long story.. I loved that trailer!!