IGNORED

My Newest Toy

grubsie

It's a 1968 Honda SS125A Super Sport. When I bought it, it was a mess. Had been sitting for many years. Had tons of surface rust, gas tank was super rusty inside. Motor was stuck. Cause was a rusted stuck shift fork drum. All engine bearings and seals replaced. Tons of labor cleaning up surface rust off all the interior engine parts. Cylinders bored with new pistons, Valves lapped. Body and fenders etc, sandblasted and repainted. New battery. New wheel bearings and tires. Not to mention all the misc small details.

Assembled everything and it started on 2 kicks. Did the final carb adjustments and it purrs like a kitten and an absolute blast to ride. On a good day, with hurricane winds at my back while going down a steep decline, I can possibly get up to 55mph. A real speed demon!

pic 1a.jpg

pic 2a.jpg

Thanks for all the kind replies.

It's nice to see that other people enjoy and appreciate the older bikes. These bikes started the Japanese revolution in this country. Almost everyone I know started out on a Honda.

I have been restoring 1960's Hondas for years. I just love these bikes. There's just something about bringing these bikes back to glory from the dead that gets my juices flowing. To hear them fire to life for the first time after so many years left to die and disappear. One of the members here "zagger" stated that it is a labor of love. I couldn't agree more. I don't ever make any money on these bikes if, and when I decide to sell them. I get what I have in them financially with purchase sale and materials but can never account for the endless hours man hours bringing them back to glory. They are like my children. I know them through and through. When and if I decide to sell them, it won't be to just anybody. They have to love them as much as I do.

I recently sold an early 1963 Honda CA95 150cc, Benly / Baby Dream to an ederly gentleman that had one when he was a kid and has always wanted another one. I say early 63 since from 1959 to 1963 1/2, there were several things different about the bike than from 1963 1/2 to 1966. Most notably was the tach on the right side of the head that never connected to an actual tachometer. Also notably was the ever elusive air pump located just under the seat on the left side of the bike. No air pump on the late 63 on. It took 2 years of searching to find one. Other things like the knee pads on the gas tank are also different. The early 63 had more rounded pads vs the late 63 with more rectangle pads. It was real fun sourcing the correct parts for the early 63.

The gentleman I sold it to rode it in a couple of Moto Giro events. I wish I could find the pictures he sent me. He absolutely loves the bike and has contacted me a few times to let me know how she is doing. I maybe going to visit her again in a few weeks for a ride with my 68 SS125A. Should be a blast. 2 old guys chugging along, at, or below the speed limits with these speed demons.

ca95 pic 2a.jpg

ca95 pic 1a.jpg

Beautiful, :happy65: takes me back to my teenage years when these bikes were becoming available in the UK. Benly, Dream, Super Dream wonderful. I remember the "cool" guys at school having them. Would love to restore something like that... Thanks for the trip! :beer:

Where do you find parts for such old bikes to keep them "right?"

Edited by Kretz

Reminds me of my 1st scoot. Honda 160. Really liked that bike...

Thank you for the memories!!

david

Funny you should mention a 160. I have one that is almost restored. I have to re-spoke the wheels, although somewhat easy, I still hate re-spokeing so the project has been stalled until I get up the nerve to do it along with a few other do dads.

Plus, I have an extra special project that fell into my lap by shear accident that has been getting my attention a lot lately. A 1951 BSA Bantam D1 Lucas Plunger Model, 3 speed, 125cc 2 stroke. I have almost all the original NOS parts for it now. Has taken me a few years to locate the parts. (Mostly from the UK). A whole new type of project from what I am used to but really looking forward to the challenge. Rare as hens teeth in the US, especially the Lucas model. So far after as much research as I can find, there are only 4 others known to be existing in the US today. A guy I met next door to the sandblaster that I use is a big time British bike guru and he was #@%%$@ his jeans when he saw what I had.

Here's 2 pics of the Bantam when I bought it and a pic of what it should look like when fully restored.

right side.jpg

left side.jpg

5e778b4cf888d2170b00182a832cc6bd.jpg

Edited by grubsie

Now you're really spoiling us (well me for sure) BSA Bantam, holy crap! I really wanted one of those when I was younger, I just couldn't have any of the bigger ones (Gold Star, Rocket etc) due to cost. My Dad used to ride an old James single 125cc m/c that he rebuilt, (Francis Barnetts had similar models) one of his jobs in the early days working for a tire retailer in the 50's was re-spoking both car & bike wheels, he was good at it too. He used to "tune" the spokes by sound, plucking them like a harp string, till the whole wheel ran true. Wow! there really have been some memories in this thread of yours...

Thank You!

I hope your restoration projects give you a lot of pleasure both during the rebuilds & after completion.