IGNORED

I'm too tall! Is there a way to lift seat?

Check to make sure you have the stock seat. Most people even as tall as you complain the bike is t tall and are looking for ways to lower it. If you do have a lowered seat I'll bet someone will be more than happy to trade with you.

I am not sure how to tell, but I think that it is the factory seat, It matches the backrest on the trunk, unless somebody decided to change that too??

Sitting at a stop light it is fine, but to ride it is painful. My legs are bunched up, even though I have moved the pegs as far forward as I can. I have to actually lift my whole leg to downshift.

Has anyone used those pads that I see you can buy, will that lift a person much I wonder?

Thanks

Kevin

Yeah I guess that is about all I can do. Does anyone have any experience with those gel pads? Do they stay on good? Is there a brand that is better than others?

My other thought is getting a good set of highway pegs. But I think that I might have to manufacture a bracket to get it far enough ahead to be able to stretch out a bit.

Thanks again

Kevin

I bought a gel seat cushion from onlygel.com for my Kawasaki. It's about an inch thick. It does raise me up a bit which isn't a problem on the Kawa except that it puts my head more into the turbulent zone behind the National Cycle Plexifairing 3 windshield. So far I've used it with the clips or hooks that hook under the sides of the seat on both sides. When I sit on it and compress the seat the hook may come loose. It did come with a strap that can go under the seat all the way across but I haven't tried that yet. The cushion appears to be high quality. Some highway pegs may be what you need. I bought some cheap ones for the kawa and I can't get them tight enough to keep from turning on the crash bar.

Lots of ideas here on how to deal with the seat, but from what you posted the problem is having to lift you leg to shift. I'm... or used to be... 6'7" and the first gen was the most comfortable scoot I've ridden on a long trip. The problem is your angle of the foot controls. Pull them off the spline and drop the peg to about the angle of your foot sits when it's on the peg. Both sides. You'll never have to take your foot off the peg to shift or brake... Highway pegs mounted on the engine guards will let you stretch out the legs if needed.

Yeah I guess that is about all I can do. Does anyone have any experience with those gel pads? Do they stay on good? Is there a brand that is better than others?

My other thought is getting a good set of highway pegs. But I think that I might have to manufacture a bracket to get it far enough ahead to be able to stretch out a bit.

Thanks again

Kevin

I bought a gel pad that works well at Canadian Tire a few years ago and cut it to fit under the seat cover. Every so often they have them on sale for about $10.

Both lifting the seat somehow and having highway pegs will make the Venture more comfortable. Mounting OEM highway pegs on the engine top bar of the crash guard isn't particularly successful due to the curve and the height. However, mounting on the vertical bar works quite well because it is forward and the peg can be lowered. The problem with this position is that it reduces the area available for your foot. To get around that, an extended mounting bolt will make more room for the foot.

Kuryakin makes a nice adjustable highway peg for a high price that can mitigate the bad angles of the crash guard.

If you are having a difficult time bending your legs then perhaps limbering up with daily leg squats might be a really healthy and inexpensive part of the solution.

It's not so much about how tall you are but more about how long your legs are. I'm 6' 3" with a 33 inch inseam and can manage the fold up reasonably well. It was more difficult to begin with but after seven years on the VR it no longer seems to be much of an issue.

Camos

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Haha, no need to do a new post to make a correction for a spelling mistake, a typo or a misstatement. That's what the "Edit" button is for. In fact, there are so many typos, spelling errors and grammatical errors on here that we have all gotten used to them and hardly even notice or just read around them.

You might want to consider moving the foot controls forward so that your legs aren't crunched. My controls are 24 inches forward from the stock position and seat height doesn't matter very much. This arrangement is very comfortable for me. Of course, I don't have any plastic bodywork to work around - maybe forward controls wouldn't be possible on a stock bike. Just something to consider.

zag

So it turns out that being 6'2" tall is not a positive on this bike (1984 Venture Royal). Is there a way to lift the seat, or something that can be put on it or an aftermarket seat?

thanks

Kevin

I know your feeling, I have an 89 that I am selling for pretty much the same resson. I even put heel toe shifter with floor boatds, I find myself struggling to use the breake and shift. I need an 2nd gen where the contols are more forward.

It wss explained to me that our bikes our set up like an eastrem saddle verse 2nd gen being an westren saddle set up legs more forward vs bent 90% as ours