IGNORED

What Do Y'all Have Against Belt Drive Motorcycles?

SilvrT

So the belt wont slip like a SOG? I like to goose it as hard as I can, I figured I would be smelling at least alot of burnt threads and rubber...

Nope - their toothed on the belt and the teeth precisely mesh/fit into cogs on the pulleys.. Actually not that far removed from a chain and sprockets set up.. If you do slide a belt like your talking about - you can almost be assured the belt is done for. Usually a ruined belt is such because it got damaged/cut. I have seen people running belts that were damaged with 1/2 wide gashes in the sides of them on Big Twins - that material is so tough it is almost untearable BUT - it is risky to keep running them when damaged cause they can and do come unglued..

Next time you get around a belt drive scoot - take a close look down there at the system - you'll see what I am talking about..

You know, another good one to consider here is the Sling Shot 3 wheeler Polaris makes.. They have a very unique drive system in them - goes from a GM car engine/tranny out a driveshaft that mates to a right angle drive. The output on the right angle drive is a belt pulley - the rear wheel has a mating belt pulley.. The bike weighs just under 2000 pounds and the motor produces almost 200 horse.. Ya oughta see the burnouts and stuff people do with those things - great big ol wide car tire on the back - WHAM,, lite er up like crazy.. Belts seem to handle that application just fine from all I have heard.. Larry/ Carbon One has one of those Slings I have ridden in,, he could elaborate on the belt durability if you PM'd him..

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soo basically just like timing belts.. But imagine built better. Think my 74 mustang that was supposed to be replaced in wanting to say every 50,000 miles I could be off...

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

Just like that, usually timing belts of today are recommended replacement intervals of ~90k give or take. On your old Mustang, probably a 2.3L. one of the easiest timing belts to replace and if it breaks there is no damage. Not like anymore, timing belt breaks, valves hit pistons and you can play with the hot oily peices. So stretching that 90k replacement interval is really a very bad idea for timing belts, just as with drive belts.

Just like that, usually timing belts of today are recommended replacement intervals of ~90k give or take. On your old Mustang, probably a 2.3L. one of the easiest timing belts to replace and if it breaks there is no damage. Not like anymore, timing belt breaks, valves hit pistons and you can play with the hot oily peices. So stretching that 90k replacement interval is really a very bad idea for timing belts, just as with drive belts.

Yeah I knew a guy his timing belt snapped and messed up his hole motor somehow. My belt was right there I believe I only had to move one thing to replace it. Yup a 4 banger 4 speed loved that car... Was headed to work one day and all the sudden lost power.

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

lit Tinker up and she shot up to 90 out of nowhere and when I was behind that guy we were doing 25-30. I only have one question can that be done with a belt drive?

So the belt wont slip like a SOG? I like to goose it as hard as I can, I figured I would be smelling at least alot of burnt threads and rubber...

Go to youtube and search for Victory or Harley burnouts and drag racing.

here's a few ...

I love this one....

Point being ... you will find tons of vids of burnouts and drag racing of bikes with belt drives. If those belts can stand up to that, then one should feel pretty confident they'll handle anything we "touring folk" can throw at them (besides rocks and sticks, etc LOL)

From what I understand, Nascar engines use rubber timing belts. I don't have any problem with the use of rubber belts. It's the air cooled V twin that I don't like. Slightly refined 100 year old technology.

My wife had a 4 cyl Mitsubishi Outlander for 8 1/2 years. The maintenance schedule was to change the rubber timing belt every 4 years or 60k miles as I remember. If you don't and it breaks, the valves stop moving and the pistons hit the valves destroying the engine. Mitsubishis were notorious for belts breaking. The trend now seems to be cam chains instead of belts because Americans don't change the belts on schedule and it gives the car a bad rep. Chains with a built in tensioner tend to last the life of the engine.

INDEED!! Actually I was just curious if your scoot was the stock 96 or if it had been massaged some.. Have tinkered with the 96 some and gotta say,, little cam improvement here, little race tuner there and that motor really comes alive!!

Yep,, you betcha Snype! Matter of fact,, next time your near a Harley shop - stop in and see if they happen to have one of their little Performance Catalogs they could give ya.. Its not a real big book but PACKED with all kinds of really neat info about that "stage kits", cam selections and the like.. The even neater thing about that little book is it gives specs on cam grinds and dyno test results.. Couple years ago a buddy and I took his brand new 103 inch Ultra Limited, got the parts and went to playing.. Selected just the right cam grind, had the heads opened up a little, pipe, breather, tuner,,,, ended up 106 hp and 103 foot pounds torque and the flatest dyno curve ya ever did see = beautiful!! Bike runs REAL strong BUT - it was only 74 horse when we started - gotta massage em to make en run like your talking on your Yam - definitely about motor, not so much about the belt drive.. Those new kevlar belts are amazingly strong!

Yes, Puc the HD Screaming Eagle cat. Does all the homework for you cam wise. I also use the S&S cat. Too but they are hard to find anymore. I like the S&S lifters and quickie adjustable pushrods better than what Harley has. I think the easystart cams S&S has is much better than compression releases. I could go on and on but this is a Yamaha forum. Harley is a canvas too work with it's up to you to make a masterpiece.

Edited by WildBill1

and how long have liquid cooled engines been around? (generally speaking) :stickpoke:

Wow! You want to argue that point. Let's see, one is a pushrod actuated 2 valve per cylinder air cooled low rpm engine versus a double overhead cam 4 valve per cylinder water cooled high rpm engine. Hmmmm

Hey, the majority of riders in the country are riding air cooled V twins an if that is what they like I'm happy for them. The next thing you know the Goldwing will have an air cooled V twin!

Wow! You want to argue that point. Let's see, one is a pushrod actuated 2 valve per cylinder air cooled low rpm engine versus a double overhead cam 4 valve per cylinder water cooled high rpm engine. Hmmmm

Hey, the majority of riders in the country are riding air cooled V twins an if that is what they like I'm happy for them. The next thing you know the Goldwing will have an air cooled V twin!

I was referring to air cooled versus liquid cooled engines in general, not necessarilly motorcycle engines. Point being, you refer to air cooled as "slightly refined 100 year old technology" .... yet I'd suggest liquid cooled has been around as long or longer. Having said that, and in reference to motorcycles, if air cooled has been around "for 100 years" (yes, I realize that could be an eggzageration) ... then obviously it is a tried and true technology .... :stickpoke: :stirthepot:

I was referring to air cooled versus liquid cooled engines in general, not necessarilly motorcycle engines. Point being, you refer to air cooled as "slightly refined 100 year old technology" .... yet I'd suggest liquid cooled has been around as long or longer. Having said that, and in reference to motorcycles, if air cooled has been around "for 100 years" (yes, I realize that could be an eggzageration) ... then obviously it is a tried and true technology .... :stickpoke: :stirthepot:

I guess you missed the thread on the Van Buren sisters who rode Indian motorcycles across the USA in 1916. So air cooled v twins must have been around more than 100 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Buren_sisters

I guess you missed the thread on the Van Buren sisters who rode Indian motorcycles across the USA in 1916. So air cooled v twins must have been around more than 100 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Buren_sisters

I doubt I missed it but some things simply escape my memory these days .... like, is this thread about air cooled vs liquid cooled or was it something else..... :confused24: :beer: