IGNORED

Decalifornication of the MKII

I know the charcoal canister has to come off, plus there is a funky solenoid thingy in-line from the bowl vent, that will be joining it in a box on the shelf with all the plumbing. The questions are:

1. Are there any other California specific differences or equipment with the GenI, other than the charcoal/bowl vent system?

2. I see the bowl vent runs down and back, exiting in front of the rear tire on the 49 state, is it very picky about routing or size of vent tube, I cant imagine that it would be as long as it's big enough to vent adequately. For those of you with the 49 state what size is that vent hose?

Thanks all.

Tony

Hi ya Casey, I measured the tube for the float bowl vent and it is 8mm. I am not able to access the ones on my bike at this time but should be able to this weekend. I am not sure how long the lines need to be but I plan on pulling my carbs this weekend for a rebuild. I can let you know more then.

Rick F.

Hi ya Casey, I measured the tube for the float bowl vent and it is 8mm. I am not able to access the ones on my bike at this time but should be able to this weekend. I am not sure how long the lines need to be but I plan on pulling my carbs this weekend for a rebuild. I can let you know more then.

Rick F.

Cool, much appreciated. I looked in the manual, at the end there is a handy cable routing section and it looks like all the overflows run out the back individually. With the CA setup there is a rubber manifold right on top that puts all 4 into one outlet and that goes forward to the solenoid.

I gave it a shot with the 4 into 1 bowl vent manifold, I just turned it towards the rear and ran an ~3/8" hose and ran it out back and down with the other vent hoses, it seems to function as it should .

I removed the canister and the solenoid is just sitting there, I'll yank it next time I pull the carbs to replace a bowl gasket. I cant see any other CA equipment on the bike, the jetting seems to match standard jets for this year.

I think all you do now is just unplug the solenoid once you have the venting rerouted. On non-Cali Ventures, the plug is just not used and left empty...

That is good to know, I'll pull it off next time I'm in there. I'll have to replace VC gaskets and a bowl gasket at some point and I'll just shed that extra weight at the same time.

The only thing with the 4 into 1 rubber manifold for the carb vents is if one carb is flooding, that manifold will alow it to flood all four carbs. Someone just had that issue this year. With the 4 carbs having individual vent lines all the way to the bottom there is no chance for cross talk between the carbs.

Make sure that the tip over valve is still on the gas tank vent and that the vent line also runs to the back. I think the tank also vented thru the canister.