IGNORED

A new source for carb slide and diaphragms

I was cruising ebay and saw this listed in an auction. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Venture-1300-V-MAX-1200-CV-Carburetor-Slide-Diaphragm-1FK-14940-00-00-/172382909617?hash=item2822d274b1:g:UCAAAOSwcLxYCoRH&vxp=mtr

Looks like someone is producing the slides with diaphragms installed for $55 plus shipping. I was curious if anyone has tried these yet and if so can let us know how they good they function. I am not looking for any at this time but thought I would share with all of you as we know they are very expensive from Yamaha.

Still more money then paying the diaphragms by themselves.

Rick F.

The price looks right. I wonder where they are made, the OEM slides are getting tough to find I hear.

If all thats needed is diaphragms this would be another cheap route. Assuming the existing slide is serviceable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281761118300?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT these are out of the UK, not Chinese made. I just installed a set on my Venture and so far so good, quality is decent and they got stateside pretty quick. Although I have yet to pile some miles on them they felt pretty nice.

I find it interesting that these are aluminum slides with a hard anodize coating, the OEM are plastic.

Hard anodize is really hard and abrasive, I would worry about wear to the bore in the carb body. Gas is a lousy lubricant.

Being a different material I think you would want to replace all 4 as a set, just so they are all the same weight and all the same diaphragm characteristics, and then should all have the same response time.

The ebay add does say that there have been 53 sold, so someone has tried them.

I didnt realize they were anodized. Love is when you have to replace a carb body AND a slide instead of just a slide. I think I would opt to buy a rack of junk carbs for the $100 ish they appear for and have spare slides and lots of other parts. Putting a new diaphragm on an old slide is not a big deal but by the same rational that Flyinfool used I would replace all four, in fact I think they only come in a set and it is really no big deal to put new diaphragms on an old slide.

I didnt realize they were anodized. Love is when you have to replace a carb body AND a slide instead of just a slide. I think I would opt to buy a rack of junk carbs for the $100 ish they appear for and have spare slides and lots of other parts. Putting a new diaphragm on an old slide is not a big deal but by the same rational that Flyinfool used I would replace all four, in fact I think they only come in a set and it is really no big deal to put new diaphragms on an old slide.

Well I just got my second rack of carbs, and it is looking like this set might be a bit more servicable then the last rack I got but we will see what my boredom gets me... Still waiting on all my brake parts to come in...

Well I just got my second rack of carbs, and it is looking like this set might be a bit more servicable then the last rack I got but we will see what my boredom gets me... Still waiting on all my brake parts to come in...

I'm waiting for my brake parts too, thats all thats keeping me off the road right now. Once the pads arrive I will remove, clean out and reassemble the calipers and go for a test ride. I just got the MAP voltages dialed in on the Ignitek (Thanks Gary D!).

IMHO your way further ahead to have a parts rack or two, then if you need something you have OEM quality stuff.

I'm waiting for my brake parts too, thats all thats keeping me off the road right now. Once the pads arrive I will remove, clean out and reassemble the calipers and go for a test ride. I just got the MAP voltages dialed in on the Ignitek (Thanks Gary D!).

IMHO your way further ahead to have a parts rack or two, then if you need something you have OEM quality stuff.

Well since I can't buy models no more i figured I would settle for something that I can rebuild. I am either gonna try to rebuild both or just one and scavenge the first set for parts.. But sometimes the boredom gets the best of me...

"Never ride faster then your guardian angel can fly."

I just won an ebay auction on another rack of carbs off of a 86. I am thinking of rebuilding these and adjusting the jet sizes to see if I can get it to run a little better then the stock set up. Only issue with a rebuild is how much it can cost to do it. You can almost count on new diaphragms for all 4 carbs plus new main nozzles and some gaskets and O-rings. I also been looking at some of the carb kits from Keyster and K&L to see which one is the better for what we need. I also found a kit from Carburetor City that has a kit just the 1200 and another for the 1300 Ventures. http://www.carburettorshop.com/contents/en-us/d380_Mikuni_BDS_carburetor_parts_and_rebuild_kits.html

This kit seems to be more complete with all it offers for $28.00 USD.

It seems a little more aftermarket items are showing up for our old rides..

Rick F.

I just won an ebay auction on another rack of carbs off of a 86. I am thinking of rebuilding these and adjusting the jet sizes to see if I can get it to run a little better then the stock set up. Only issue with a rebuild is how much it can cost to do it. You can almost count on new diaphragms for all 4 carbs plus new main nozzles and some gaskets and O-rings. I also been looking at some of the carb kits from Keyster and K&L to see which one is the better for what we need. I also found a kit from Carburetor City that has a kit just the 1200 and another for the 1300 Ventures. http://www.carburettorshop.com/contents/en-us/d380_Mikuni_BDS_carburetor_parts_and_rebuild_kits.html

Rick F.

Why thank you Rick the last set I bought was the K&L Kit but I can not use the float bowl needles so Now I have 8 of them for the 1300's but that appears like a good price for the rebuilds I paid $88 I believe for the orings and gaskets.

Rick F.

This is true, and an equally troubling trend on the Vmax side of things. There is a lot of resorting to Chinese aftermarket and that aint good news. The K&L kits I've heard some great stuff about but some of the other kits used saw the owners rebuilding them over again with better parts. There is a lot of re-branding going on so it would probably be prudent to ask sellers who actually made the kit, and where. I believe K&L is a Japanese made kit so probably well worth a couple extra bucks. The difference in manufacturing, acumen and quality between China and Japan is night and day. The only thing I can guarantee anyone that resorts too the Chinese aftermarket is this; the parts/accessories you put on your bike will be considerably lower in quality than the bike your putting it on. This goes for Japanese cars too.

Ok I actually ordered this kit, but once again the float valve don't fit, but I like what all comes in the kits.

IMG_0004[1].jpg new mixture screw with spring, washer, and oring. new drain screw with oring, this one is slotted not phillips I put it in one of the carbs that desperetly need one. The last set of carsb I got one of the mixture screws is buggered up. 8 screws to replace the existing screws. or in case you have parked near @cowpuc and he snagged one. the brass washer and screw for the jet block. The gaskets for the enrichment valve and the jet block feels and looks kind of like a rubber substance of some sort, the one I got from K&N definatley a different matterial from what I can tell this kit is not a bad deal. O and the spring for inside your slid underneath the plastic screw.

I am curious on what you mean by the float valve didnt fit, was it too big in diameter, or too tall? Can you clarify on that just a bit. Looking at it, I would either clip part of the new wire retainer on it to match the original equipment one or just move the retainer over from the old one to the new. The float needle we need has the retainer slip over the float tab so it can move up and down with the float.

As a side note, I did order 4 of these kits also as I figured that to use Yamaha supplied parts from Partshark.com would run over $50 without shipping per carb while this kit cost $31.00 shipped to my door.

Also how long did you have to wait to get them?

Thanks

Rick F.

I am curious on what you mean by the float valve didnt fit, was it too big in diameter, or too tall? Can you clarify on that just a bit. Looking at it, I would either clip part of the new wire retainer on it to match the original equipment one or just move the retainer over from the old one to the new. The float needle we need has the retainer slip over the float tab so it can move up and down with the float.

As a side note, I did order 4 of these kits also as I figured that to use Yamaha supplied parts from Partshark.com would run over $50 without shipping per carb while this kit cost $31.00 shipped to my door.

Also how long did you have to wait to get them?

Thanks

Rick F.

It is too short, I will take the valve out of mine and take a picture of them side by side. I ordered them 4/13/2017 got them today so 6 days is not bad for international shipping I also paid the higher shipping rate. But even with all that it says somewhere in there that the orders could take 21 days to get to your door. But here is a couple of pictures of my 83 carbs, I do wonder because I have the housing for the valves if they could be switched out. But I still don't know how to get the bowl valve and seat out.IMG_0005[1].jpgIMG_0008[1].jpgIMG_0009[1].jpg

I've been inside my 99 Vmax carbs and 89 Venture carbs and I have not seen a needle that looks like the one you took out (one on the right in the pic). Both mine look like the left one with the wire retainer that slides over the float tongue. Maybe someone that has been into many sets can add some insight but from my limited experience I would start to wonder if you found the wrong needles in there to begin with.

Also in the pic it looks like it has a slightly bent nub, if that needle turned 180 degrees inside the carb it would effect float level based on its position.

I've been inside my 99 Vmax carbs and 89 Venture carbs and I have not seen a needle that looks like the one you took out (one on the right in the pic). Both mine look like the left one with the wire retainer that slides over the float tongue. Maybe someone that has been into many sets can add some insight but from my limited experience I would start to wonder if you found the wrong needles in there to begin with.

Also in the pic it looks like it has a slightly bent nub, if that needle turned 180 degrees inside the carb it would effect float level based on its position.

Believe it or not Casey I have three carburetor racks with the same exact needles on the inside they made them from 83-85 like that

"Never ride faster then your guardian angel can fly."

Edited by snyper316
Wrong word

I checked the part fiche and there is a different part number for the 83-85( 22U-14190-15-00 ) and the 86-93( 1FK-14190-15-00) needle valve and seat combo. So that does make sense that would would be a different size then. Yamaha has it available so you might just have to order the assemble from them to get the correct one.

The way to remove them is to remove the cap on top of the carb above the needle seat assemble and the push up from the bottom of the seat and it will pop out. Now the issue is getting the cap out. You can drill a small hole into it and the thread a self threading screw into it and pull it out that way. It is only held in by an o-ring. The issue with the 83-85 carb is that cap is not available from Yamaha if you mess up and drill all the way thru it. You can also try and push up on the needle seat and use it to force the plug out but there is a filter screen that sits on top of the needle seat assemble and you will most likely crush it. It is available from Yamaha at about $10 a piece so that would be $40 for the 4 or just dont use them is another option.

I would contact Carburetor Shop and let them know they have the incorrect needle valve in the kit and see it they can supply you with the correct one.

Good luck

Rick F.