IGNORED

Spare 89 Venture. value opinions.

CaseyJ955

Pricing is different between Canada and the U.S. but I would say that I think you are on the low side. Looking at what is there, it has all of the chrome bits and the plastic doesn't look all that bad. Even if you bought Plastix to patch any cracks...I don't think you'd have to be that far into it to have a good running bike. If you came up to $600 with clear title I think you could make it back fixing it or worse case parting it out. If the engine isn't high mileage....you could make money on that alone.

(personal opinion, not based on facts or pricing out components)

Just a thought.....what are the dates on the tires? How old is the battery? Does he have maintenance records - oil change, clutch/brake fluids... ? If fairly recent (you'll get 6-7yrs on tires from mfr date)....then his price is pretty good. And if it starts, it probably needs very little to be road ready - couple cans of Seafoam does wonders. If the brake pads are getting thin they aren't very expensive...

As spoken above, buying it right is the key. The battery is flat and will need replacement. No service history so I'll need to do everything. I didnt check tire date but they have some wear. I didnt get good pics of the damaged plastics and I should have. It looks better in the pics than in person but it still isnt bad.

I'm feeling cocky on the carbs, I did my vmax carbs with guidance on that forum and it runs too good for words, my Venture, just went through those and not ridden yet but it starts, idles and revs like a nee machine. Im going to take a swing at the carbs myself and update the ign sys as noted in this thread but I will still have to buy a battery, tires, fork bushings and seals which is about 150 before the labor which i will do myself. I have an extra set of progressives laying around too. The head bearings look bone dry so repacking at the least and replacement possible, thats a lot of labor. Also concerned with the 30 yr old brakes, it would be freaky if all they need is bleeding.

I would probably play with it some and look for a buyer for it in hopes of turning a few bones while giving someone a fair deal but buyers here are not plentiful at all. I will make him another offer. I can come up from where I was but not sure I'm comfortable with $700 considering all the labor I will be doing to make it safe for a buyer to come from out of state and ride it home. Ill bump up my offer and hope that we can meet in the middle somewhere. What you all say makes sense. Thank you.

I think I would not go higher then $500. There is a lot of work there and your time has to be worth something, specially if it takes you away from riding the hills. You are going to have to buy parts for the forks, carbs, ignition, battery, tires and who knows what else. Add it up and a low estimate is over $700 in parts for everything. This would be doing the job correctly in my mind so that I would feel comfortable taking it on a long trip..

If you want it to part out, saving some parts for yourself to add to your bike, then it might be worth a little more to you.

Hope this help you out.. but in the end only you know what it is worth to you.

Good luck Casey...

Rick F.

I did actually offer him $500 this morning, im just not comfortable with anything more for the very reasons you listed. I figure if nobody else takes it he may hit me back, Im good either way. Im usually peeking around for a parts bike on CL and there will be others.