IGNORED

What the Heck

Went to get 83 out today. Acted quirky, didn't start, kinda ran the battery down a bit, then the starter kept turning over engine, even after I turned key off, took key out, and turned killed switch off. I disconnected battery, and when I go to reconnect, turns over without touching a thing. Any ideas where to start. 30k miles, original starter, original everything.

Update: I'm thinking it's the starter relay. After additional research on the interweb, others claim that's the issue. For me, while charging my low battery, I smacked the starter and the relay. 2 hrs later, hooked up everything, started fine. I think I partially welded the contacts in the relay while holding start button maybe too long. Anyways, I plan to replace the relay on simply this hunch.

Update: I'm thinking it's the starter relay. After additional research on the interweb, others claim that's the issue. For me, while charging my low battery, I smacked the starter and the relay. 2 hrs later, hooked up everything, started fine. I think I partially welded the contacts in the relay while holding start button maybe too long. Anyways, I plan to replace the relay on simply this hunch.
I think you are onto it.

30,000 miles on an 83 is an indication of extremely abusive neglect. :buttkick:

Swear you will try harder to:bighug:and :biker: much more often. :cool10:

Wow! Must be in the air! Dropped a new battery in in 83 and turned the key and got nothing! Now where do I start looking for an issue?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Kill switch??? Define nothing. No dash lights? No headlight? Gotta start somewhere.

I think you are onto it.

30,000 miles on an 83 is an indication of extremely abusive neglect. :buttkick:

Swear you will try harder to:bighug:and :biker: much more often. :cool10:

Kill switch??? Define nothing. No dash lights? No headlight? Gotta start somewhere.

I am gonna be goofball now, Define Nothing....

the absence of something someone or someplace.:Avatars_Gee_George:

Thanks. The bike has sat and sat in the backyard for a year-and-a-half since summer of 15. At that time he had second gear rebuilt he had the carburetors rebuilt he rebuilt the front fork and replace the springs went through all the Hydraulics brakes new front tires new rear tire. Replacing the springs in the fork caused the bike to sit 4 inches higher and previous owner couldn't no longer reach the ground. Clutch needs bled , thought we'd drop in a battery. Probably some seafoam. But once getting the bike home when going to replace the battery discovered blown fuses and ended up rewiring all of those 5 fuses maintaining the power posts at the top of the box. Drop battery in , exclaim, "now WTF?" and began searching for knowledge!

kickstand down

trans in gear

kill switch

If neither, you need to start troubleshooting with a wiring diagram. I just googled "motorcycle no start troubleshooting video" and a bunch of videos popped up. Watch some of those to get the idea about how to troubleshoot the issue.

S.tyler58:

There is a 40 amp ribbon fuse on the left side of the fusebox next to the battery. Check that fuse as it powers everything on the bike. May be corroded or melted. Not sure if there is one on the 83 but one on my 89. Also second fuse box(I think) in front of battery. Look for small black box.

Jim

I appreciate this help! My opportunity to work on it depends on Nebraska weather in March (74 degrees yesterday, 45 and rain today) so studying the wiring diagram while waiting for the next good day...Have you noticed how aggressive her stance looks with only the Fairing and lowers on?

S.tyler58:

There is a 40 amp ribbon fuse on the left side of the fusebox next to the battery. Check that fuse as it powers everything on the bike. May be corroded or melted. Not sure if there is one on the 83 but one on my 89. Also second fuse box(I think) in front of battery. Look for small black box.

Jim

I had a 86 Goldwing with a bad fuse like that. Had 12 volt downstream of the fuse using a VOM to check. Friend told me to use a headlight to check and found that the fuse would not carry the load of the headlight.

Replaced fuse and everything was OK.

Good luck

S.tyler58:

Jim

You were correct. The main was melted down. Thanks!

Wow! Must be in the air! Dropped a new battery in in 83 and turned the key and got nothing! Now where do I start looking for an issue?

In the Eternal scheme of things...

This is not even the blink of an eye

Okay so I hope everyone's having a good day. I'm with my 83 today. I replaced the main fuse and the fuses in the fuse box. Turn on the key , signal fuse blows immediately and when I turned on the kill switch the ignition fuse blew. Now I'm clueless. Any suggestions where to go next?

Okay so I hope everyone's having a good day. I'm with my 83 today. I replaced the main fuse and the fuses in the fuse box. Turn on the key , signal fuse blows immediately and when I turned on the kill switch the ignition fuse blew. Now I'm clueless. Any suggestions where to go next?

Chipmunks, mice. Chewed a wire or something and it is grounding against something that its not supposed to.....

Chipmunks, mice. Chewed a wire or something and it is grounding against something that its not supposed to.....

^ what he said.

In my experience an immediate fuse pop is a direct ground where there shouldnt be. Maybe a good visual inspection of the harness. It could be a pinched or frayed wire somewhere touching a ground. Im not sure what component if fried would cause a ground issue like that.