IGNORED

new bike prep

ok going through the bike, ive got to put a battery in it. its there, but wont hold any sort of a charge. going to change the oil, rotella. does anyone off hand know the filter number? going to bleed the brakes to swap out the fluid. also upon removing the false tank, i found that the bike has a k&n filter:dancefool:. 1 more question, how loud is the fuel pump? while i never got enough charge to crank the motor, on charger 12a... not going to put the bike on the big charger, 200a boost is a little excessive, i would have thought the pump would have enough juice to run. i never heard it. any other prep that you guys can think of would be appreciated too.

Check the date code on the tires, if more than 7 years old replace even if the look good.

While bleeding the brakes for a fluid change also bleed the clutch for a fluid change.

When you change the oil, only fill to the bottom line on the sight glass, any more and it will end up getting sucked into the carbs and make a mess.

As for the K&N air filter. these bike do not like the air box or filter to be messed with, if the PO rejeted to make the K&N work good then you want to stay with the K&N. If not then it will probably run better with a stock air filter.

Good call on not using the 200A boost charger, it would fry the regulator rectifier.

I do not remember the filter number, I just go into NAPA or Oriles and ask for a filter for an 88 venture. (same as your 87)

The fuel pump will only click if the carbs need fuel. as soon as the float bowls are full the pump stops. When you turn the key on there is a timer that will only run the pump for 2 seconds until the engine is running.

A good starting point is to set the front forks at 5psi and the rear shock at 40.

This should keep you busy for a while.

ANd welcome

thanks! the front tire is like a brand new 05... that said having 3 other bikes and 2 motorhomes,:mo money::bawling: i dont play with tires, ive seen what happens when a "good" looking tire gives up the fight. since the bike has been sitting, should i do a tank with seafoam or chemtool? i have good experience with seafoam, but i know chemtool is stronger. also, what is the best way to free up sticky buttons? the radio, class, and cb all have sticky buttons. im wondering if the oil filter is the same as my xs11s, as i have 20 of them laying around. any place to get replacement plastics? the right top plastic hold class and cb is fubar, like po got angry at the sticky buttons and punched the cb.

Welcome.. the oil filter part number in Fram is a CA6002, with Yamaha's part number, 1J7-13441-10-00. It is the standard filter for most Yamaha that use the drop in one.

Some of the plastic is still available from Yamaha but it is very hit and miss with mostly misses. You can sometimes find useful items on ebay or there are some motorcycle junk yards that still have items available. Here is a parts list that you can see what you need and what is available.. http://www.partshark.com/oemparts/a/yam/5107f83cf870022108d6578d/cowling-1

Sometime posting what you need in here in the groups, a member might have a good item they are willing to part with.

You might want to also check the coolant in the bike and swap it out if you dont know how long it has been in there. These bikes do leak coolant in the cold winter months a bit so they usually need to be topped off each spring.

I personally use seafoam in just about every tank of gas I out into the bike. About the only time I dont is when I am riding all day and I usually add it to my last tank before I park it.

Do you have the service manual for the bike yet. If not it is located in the tech section here under 1st Gen and it a great source for doing maintenance on the bike. A former member made it into a PDF file for us to use.

And when you get around to it.. We need pictures of your pic..

Ask away on anything and we will do our best to steer you in the right direction..

Rick F.

Something I would do being as the bike has sat is I would pop open the tank and take a peak in there, So remove seat and pull sending unit out and have a look see with a good bright light, Mine was so rusted that even my fuel sending unit had rust particles on it... I bought 3 gallon bottles of Evaporust $20 or so at O'reily's , and bought nuts and bolts package of ten each. threw all that in the tank with tank removed and went and shook the crap out of it every few hours and sat it at different angle, I did mine for a week, but that was only cause I was waiting on parts for my carbs, I would say 24-48 hours should be plenty of time.. also get yourself a pack of coffee filters so you can strain the evapo rust thru a funnel and use it later for something else. O one more thing too only saying it cause I did it make sure your vents and holes are plugged. I forgot and lost 1/2 gallon of evapo rust....

Welcome.. the oil filter part number in Fram is a CA6002, with Yamaha's part number, 1J7-13441-10-00. It is the standard filter for most Yamaha that use the drop in one.

Some of the plastic is still available from Yamaha but it is very hit and miss with mostly misses. You can sometimes find useful items on ebay or there are some motorcycle junk yards that still have items available. Here is a parts list that you can see what you need and what is available.. http://www.partshark.com/oemparts/a/yam/5107f83cf870022108d6578d/cowling-1

Sometime posting what you need in here in the groups, a member might have a good item they are willing to part with.

You might want to also check the coolant in the bike and swap it out if you dont know how long it has been in there. These bikes do leak coolant in the cold winter months a bit so they usually need to be topped off each spring.

I personally use seafoam in just about every tank of gas I out into the bike. About the only time I dont is when I am riding all day and I usually add it to my last tank before I park it.

Do you have the service manual for the bike yet. If not it is located in the tech section here under 1st Gen and it a great source for doing maintenance on the bike. A former member made it into a PDF file for us to use.

And when you get around to it.. We need pictures of your pic..

Ask away on anything and we will do our best to steer you in the right direction..

Rick F.

6002 same as my xs11s!!!:clap2: ive got those covered. thank you for the part leads. as for the service manual, i havent looked to deeply through it, but i have perused it. of course im off today, and its snowing... so no working on it today. well... maybe ill pick up the battery, and some seafoam and throw them in:hurts:. do these bikes prefer regular or premium? i got in the habit off premium with the air cooled bikes (the 11s ping something fierce when hot).

6002 same as my xs11s!!!:clap2: ive got those covered. thank you for the part leads. as for the service manual, i havent looked to deeply through it, but i have perused it. of course im off today, and its snowing... so no working on it today. well... maybe ill pick up the battery, and some seafoam and throw them in:hurts:. do these bikes prefer regular or premium? i got in the habit off premium with the air cooled bikes (the 11s ping something fierce when hot).

I use the lowest grade (above 85, which you can still get here in SoDak believe it or not) which is not tainted with ethanol. Using more octane seems to have no effect on the Venture or Vmax. Ethanol avoidance is the biggie more than anything else. 87+ seems to work just fine for me but usually I have to run 91 to avoid the ethanol. I used to use premium with the HDs and other air cooleds because cyl temp can get way up there and cause all sorts of detonation, I just havnt experienced that on the Yamaha V4s, they seem to run true and consistent on any pure gasoline.

These bikes do not need premium.

When traveling I will sometimes find ethanol free only in premium then I may splurge for a tank. Otherwise, you are just wasting money.

I don't know how much gas is everywhere else but premium without ethanol is 2.82 and regular gas is 2.08 so.... if I buy the cheaper and spend $8 on seafoam... its cheaper to go with no ethanol. I still put a shot or two of mystery oil in there.... trying that out just cause I have never tried the stuff..... While we on this subject I got a gallon of T5 synthetic blend of rotella for 14.99 this is still ok with our bikes isn't it?

ok new battery, 1 can of seafoam, turn the key, hit the button... crank, crank, crank... fire!!!:hurts::dancefool::group cheers: idles pretty good with about half choke, take away the choke, and she dies:crying:. looks like i gotta go and pull the carbs, and clean them out. though ill wait dcouple days for some better weather. i let her idle till she got up to temp, so the seafoam should be in the carbs now. im not hoping for a miricle, but it would be nice.

ok new battery, 1 can of seafoam, turn the key, hit the button... crank, crank, crank... fire!!!:hurts::dancefool::group cheers: idles pretty good with about half choke, take away the choke, and she dies:crying:. looks like i gotta go and pull the carbs, and clean them out. though ill wait dcouple days for some better weather. i let her idle till she got up to temp, so the seafoam should be in the carbs now. im not hoping for a miricle, but it would be nice.

try this first if that don't help

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?1061-Carburetor-Maintenance

http://vmax.lvlhead.com/tips/shotgun.htm or