IGNORED

A question that is probably asked over and over...

After a life long dream of having I finally got!! 1986 Venture Royale.

Does anyone know, can tell me, will the plastic off an 83 fit on an 86?

Where can I get the remote radio controls for the left handle bars?

How to cure a "hard start" on cool (not really cold) mornings?

Yes, as you can see, I am new to the Venture thing. But hopefully with the help of some veterans, I will be out and riding very very soon.

Thanks.

Ohedron42

merlin

Don't want you to feel that you are being ignored. I'm sure some of the first gen owners will jump in here soon but I THINK that the answer is yes. I'm not 100% sure but I think the fairings will work. I think though that you also have to go with the newer headlight assembly from the later model fairing also.

Don't want you to feel that you are being ignored. I'm sure some of the first gen owners will jump in here soon but I THINK that the answer is yes. I'm not 100% sure but I think the fairings will work. I think though that you also have to go with the newer headlight assembly from the later model fairing also.

The front fairings is interchangable, I think the 86 has the newer type headlight (Mk2). BTW headlight change is NOT required, but provides better lighting, than the Mk1 (early models).

The upper fairings will absolutely fit all the years, they are interchangeable. The headlights are different on the 1200's '83 to '85 The 1300's, like yours, is styled different, but that has no bearing on the upper fairings.

The best bet for finding the handlebar remote is Ebay or a cycle salvage yard. Perhaps there might be a member that has a spare and would sell it to you. You also can put up an ad for it in the wanted section of the classifieds.

The hard start issue, now is it turning over slow or spinning without starting? If it's the latter then a tune up sounds like it's in order. I would suggest that you go completely through it and put a new battery in along with atleast wires plugs and caps. Start with the basics and then you can narrow down any future problems. The 1st gen tech library is a great source for info, and never be leary of asking questions, we'll answer them as many times as it takes....welcome to the club :happy34:

Thanks Squidly, the hard start is a slow turnover, George S, gave me some clues to that.

Thanks for all the help.

A tune up from air cleaner to exhaust is in order. I just found out the guy I got the bike from had it sitting for 8 months.

So, bloody knuckles and greasy hands here I come!!!!!

Thanks.

Run a can of seafoam thru your fuel tank before you change plugs. The seafoam will clear up a lot of problems, but it unfortunately cause your plugs to foul out from all the gunk it lifts and removes. A lot of us spring the bucks for an Odessy battery which is a dry cell and has more cranking power. A definate must is to replace the stock battery cables with heavier gauge cables. As a matter of fact there is a member that sells a ready made kit, found up top in the "sticky" section of this forum.

Another trouble spot is the kill switch. the contacts sometimes develop resistance and can cause starting problems.

Once you get it running right, you will be very impressed with the perormance 1st gens have. Word of warning, though, the early 1200's are just a tad quicker...