IGNORED

Bug out vehicle?

baylensman

So with the coming election, several celebrity types have promised to leave the country depending on who wins or loses. I got to thinking about Y2K, remember people having go bags and bug out plans? Well in the event of the Zombie Apocalypse, or another two term democrat, would a bike make a good bug out vehicle?. If so what kind of bike?

My thoughts are this.

Definetly air cooled. Narrow bars but longer frame, to hang bags on. Enough power to hit the century mark in the event you need to. Able to run on cheap gas ( no 2 strokes). Proven record of long term running with little maintenance.

so ending up with an older bike I guess most of todays dirt bikes have small radiators ( i wonder if this is really a drawback in a post apocalyptic world?)

BMW 600 CC with full bag package.

Harley 750cc dirt racer. extended seat frame and bags

Yamaha XT 500 with fender rack and bags

If the radiator is not a big deal perhaps the Bolt?

your thoughts gentlemen?

Well I seen a BMW at Walmart. It has reverse and an electric stand. It was narrow enuff I would drive thru thick forest just as I would on a dirt bike. I am thinking I have seen all terrain tires for motorcycle's. Maybe I should have taken that box of MRE's over the weekend. Never had one myself but that could be useful. Canada Is looking pretty good. Maybe even Australia.

Twist the handle and move!!!

radiators really aren't a big concern as long as its well protected. my number one for a bug out would be the ural patrol. followed by a triumph tiger or honda africa twin

though even the first gen venture is still a great option, ive run mine into the woods to go camping, through torrential rain, snow storms, ive even crashed one real good and its always gotten me home and run like a champ the whole way. good on gas and still fast enough to out pace most others who may want to chase.

During the recession of 08, a coworker was joking about what if the USA collapsed. He was a bonafide gun nut/gun dealer and his solution was that since we have lots of guns and the Canadians don't, we could just got to Canada and pick out a house we like and take it! Ha! Joking of course!

Nah, you need a 4x4 truck to skedaddle in which I have, sleep in the back under the camper shell. I also have my 85 air cooled shaft drive ZN700 Kawasaki, 498lbs dry, 74hp. that will easily top a hundred.

During the recession of 08, a coworker was joking about what if the USA collapsed. He was a bonafide gun nut/gun dealer and his solution was that since we have lots of guns and the Canadians don't, we could just got to Canada and pick out a house we like and take it! Ha! Joking of course!

Nah, you need a 4x4 truck to skedaddle in which I have, sleep in the back under the camper shell. I also have my 85 air cooled shaft drive ZN700 Kawasaki, 498lbs dry, 74hp. that will easily top a hundred.

love this :)

no you need a jeep, preferably a CJ or TJ, this will get you into places no one else can.

except other jeeps, but jeepers are all friends :)

except those WK jerks :)

I have to agree on a 4x4 for a bug out vehicle.

While a jeep would be ideal for getting around it does not carry much stuff. I get my P/U into some pretty weird places when I want to hide from people for a quiet weekend. AND my P/U will hold a LOT more gear than a jeep. It will also easily top 100 mph if need be. And unlike in the movies, a bike will not run it off the road.

When the stuff hits the fan, bullets and food will be the new currency. Gold, diamonds, silver, and other precious metals will be worthless. Well gold may still have some value, it is soft and heavy and it should be easy to cast into bullets.

When the stuff hits the fan, bullets and food will be the new currency. Gold, diamonds, silver, and other precious metals will be worthless. Well gold may still have some value, it is soft and heavy and it should be easy to cast into bullets.

Your gonna need some silver bullets if you run into any werewolf's.. I wonder if gold bullets would take out any other oddities? Diamond is good for cutting but guess you would have the skill to make a cutter. If crap hits the fan I guess I would be stuck with bow and arrow. I can't own a gun cpt a muzzle loader...

Twist the handle and move!!!

So with the coming election, several celebrity types have promised to leave the country depending on who wins or loses.

Great news! :banana::banana::banana: Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. :happy65:

I got to thinking about Y2K, remember people having go bags and bug out plans? Well in the event of the Zombie Apocalypse, or another two term democrat, would a bike make a good bug out vehicle?. If so what kind of bike?

I'm with the 4X4 truck on this one.

Ha Ha....Trust me, we have guns (speaking as a Canadian gun owner).....don't forget we are a society grown from living in the bush and hunting for survival. According to Wikipedia there are 112 guns per 100 people in the USA......In Canada it is 30.8 guns per 100 people. Long story short make sure your coworker picks the right house up here on the tundra or it might not end well for him!:banana:

I already have our bug Out Vehicle, 89 F350 Crew 4x4 with a Cummins Turbo Diesel. Holds 90 Gallons of Fuel, triple batteries, Lockouts, 12000lb winch, Air system, etc etc. Ready when needed,..

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=107540

Wow! That truck is in amazing condition. How many miles?

the OP was asking about a bike, as I morphed into 4x4. I like the IDEA of the Ural, however they're not very reliable from what I've seen, and researched, maybe they've improved . For me, a simple choice based on the basic descriptions would be a Vstrom 1000. If we are talking any vehicle, first edition hummer or jeep rubicon.

Wow! That truck is in amazing condition. How many miles?

Thank you, I have had it for 14 years, go it out of California and never sees a MI Winter, It has 300K miles on it but the drive line has maybe 40K, and a new BUILT C6 Trans. The truck is pretty bullet proof, lots of time and effort has gone into it. Built, not Bought!