IGNORED

Heading for the Blue Ridge Parkway on Saturday

JDaniel

My wife and I and her sister and husband are leaving Sat. for Gatlinburg, Tn. Spending Sat. night and then on to the Blue Ridge Parkway on Sunday. Riding it all the way from the south end to the north end. May ride Skyline Drive if we have time and the weather is good.

You're gonna LOVE IT!. It's one of my all time favorite roads we've ever ridden. It would be real cool if you could come in from Telco Plains, TN and ride the Charahola Skyway over to Robbinsville, then head over from there to Cherokee where the Blue Ridge Parkway starts. The Charahola Skyway is not to be missed. It's my favorite road in that area.

My wife and I and her sister and husband are leaving Sat. for Gatlinburg, Tn. Spending Sat. night and then on to the Blue Ridge Parkway on Sunday. Riding it all the way from the south end to the north end. May ride Skyline Drive if we have time and the weather is good.

I have done both. The Sky Line Drive several times. If you plan on doing it, It will be an all day ride. The SLD is 108 miles and a 35 MPH speed limit. Great ride but a slow one.

I love the Blue Ridge Parkway and have spent a lot of time on it, as this past Wed we drove from Asheville up to Skinny Dip Falls, going south about 4 miles past highway 276 and hiked to the falls. The southern part from Asheville to Cherokee is the best as it is much more open and the views are magnificent and it is the highest part of the Parkway.

It is 469 miles from the Cherokee end to where it ends at where the Skyline Drive starts. Once you get above Boone, NC, even tho a beautiful ride, you are mostly riding thru the woods and there is not as much to see and if you have not stopped much, it can get tiring.

The way to truly enjoy the BRP is to take the time to stop and see some of the sights. There are some great waterfalls, hikes and little interesting towns along the way. There are many things to see and great places to eat. An example is the Little Switzerland/Spruce Pine area. LS has some neat little shops, a big Inn with a restaurant and just down the hill a good place to eat in the curve. At the Spruce Pine exit, there is a mineral museum, a Walmart and a few miles farther a Western Sizzlin that has a great buffet.

What I am saying is the BRP ride is very good, but spending the time to see some of the things around it is what makes it great.

Randy

Edited by Venturous Randy

We have ridden the Cherohala Skyway and stayed in Tellico Plains. The skyway was a beautiful ride. Have also ridden the Dragon, the Moonshiner 28 and the Rattler 209. We plan on stopping quite often and exploring numerous small towns. We have Blowing Rock, Grandfather Mountain, Mount Airy and other sites we will be stopping at. We have a full week so we should not have to rush at all.

Edited by JDaniel

i just got back monday from a full 10 days of rid'n out that way. had a wonderful time!!!!! rode the dragons tail, diamondback, (this one bit me),devils whip,rattler,moonshiner 28,cherohala skyway,blue ridge parkway,six gap,blood mountain run, war woman, natchaz trace. had a really great time!!! hope you enjoy it also. did 3,333 miles, butt was sore, but loved all of it. if i can figure out how to put pictures on here i'll share with all.

i just got back monday from a full 10 days of rid'n out that way. had a wonderful time!!!!! rode the dragons tail, diamondback, (this one bit me),devils whip,rattler,moonshiner 28,cherohala skyway,blue ridge parkway,six gap,blood mountain run, war woman, natchaz trace. had a really great time!!! hope you enjoy it also. did 3,333 miles, butt was sore, but loved all of it. if i can figure out how to put pictures on here i'll share with all.

:scared:,, we LOVE :photographing:'s and touring tales:thumbsup:!!! Duey,, 99.99999 percent of time, IMHO, the biggest struggle I know of that folks have with getting pics to load on the site has to do with them (the pics - not the people) being to large.. If you put your curser over a pic and the little pop up window says it is larger than 1100 by 750 (guessing here - someone smarter than me, like @Freebird or @Marcarl will have to give you exact size limit) it will have to be resized - I use "Paint" to resize and it works great.. Other than having to resize a few rogue pics (usually have my camera set to economy 640x480 so have no problems) - it is VERY easy to post pics around here - IMHO.. Look forward to seeing some brother:thumbsup:

Puc

:scared:,, OUTSTANDING JD:thumbsup: - sounds like a RIOT!!:thumbsup:

If you folks are coasters (Tip n I are - stick the scoot in neutral - shut her down and see how far we can coast) - there is a spot on the Blue Ridge that is in the top ten records for longest non stop coasts for us.. If you leave Cherokee and are headed north on the Parkway you will come to a welcome center on a mountain top on the left hand side.. Been a while since we did this but it seems like you could see the actual building for the welcome center wayy up on the mountain on a drive way.. Anyway,,,, pretty cool place with GREAT overlook views BUT the funnest part if your a coaster and your headed north - WOWZY you can coast a longggg way - think we did 22 minutes non stop!!:thumbsup:

Watch for bears if your camping or night riding and the other kind if you tend to get bored with slower paced riding (those National Park Ranger type bears run a pretty tight ship :missingtooth:).. Hope you folks have a BLAST chasing the wind down yonder!!:thumbsup: