IGNORED

New Member I'm ok with the 12 bucks a year :-)

Wheeliehappy

I'm very new here and I was looking for a thread called introduce your self or new users or something so I hope its ok that I started this thread here I wanted to introduce my self and ask a question. if this is the wrong place to do this please don't rip on me to hard, i'm about as sharp as a bowling ball sometimes. Anyway, I'm new to the cruisers in the last 2 yrs. I always had sport bikes but at 50 and Arthritis in my neck and shoulder problems from my bodybuilding days and a heavy influence from my brothers who are Harley riders, I decided last year that I would get a cruiser to see how I liked it and I bought a 1999 Kawasaki 800 drifter, I was out on it for an hr and knew I love this change and have put quite a few km/miles on that little 800 since, also, what has become clear is that with the wife and I on the hwy its under powered and that little motor is struggling, after a couple of months of re search from V Stars, Road stars , Vulcan 1500 , VTXs, Harley's and Suzi's, I have concluded that the Royal star Tour deluxe is the bike I want. of course I want to keep as much money in my pocket as I can but also this bike is one that I plan on keeping for a good few years, as fare as I'm concerned I feel Yamaha make the best Motorcycle engines so having a Yamaha for a long time bike I have no issues with. here is the problem, I can get a mint 98 Royal star deluxe with low KMs/Miles for a lot less then say a 2005 with the same KM's so the first questions is , what is the difference between the 2 bikes.

I found the Horse power differs 60ish HP compared to 98 HP that is a huge difference and frankly seems hard to believe with out huge engine changes and the only difference I can find is better air box in the later Royal stars, what are your guys experience?.

The way the wife and I like to ride and we did this on the sport bikes as well, we may ride 100 to 300 miles just on winding country roads taking in the scenery and maybe stop for lunch at a nice country restaurant or cafe but when its time to go home and we are a couple of hrs for home this is when its nice to have the power, some times the flow of traffic here in Ontario, Canada can be 80 or 85 miles per hr, not often but some times, however 70 or 75 is not uncommon and this is where the little 800 Kawi would fall short with 2 of us on it would the older royal star handle that kind of Hwy cruising for a hr or 2 at a time ?.

You guys are the know all about the royal stars so any info you would like to share I'd really appreciate, things to look for or avoid anything at all.

cheers

Karl

I'm not sure on the rstd models but the royal star ventures are a very capable bike. I like having the bags to put stuff in and the radio playing in back round not loud. You can buy the second gens at a fairly cheep price. Welcome to the forum. This should stir up the first genners.

with out getting from the questions that I asked, what is considered first and 2nd and so on gens ?

I'm not sure on the rstd models but the royal star ventures are a very capable bike. I like having the bags to put stuff in and the radio playing in back round not loud. You can buy the second gens at a fairly cheep price. Welcome to the forum. This should stir up the first genners.

Whats the Car ? I saw the history its starting to become more clear, I think in 98 they went with the 32 mm Mikunies and I guess in 2005 is when they camed the motor and put in the bigger air box. I remember the first gens back then I was riding RD's and RZ's but what I did learn recently was (1) I had no idea the V4 was used in the first gen and my biggest surprise and I should have known but I did not put 2 and 2 together that the V-Max uses the same but different engine. I do like the fact that the 2005 has the quick release wind shield and back rest to convert in to a cruiser , I have an Indian Scout that is my sport bike cruiser now but 2 cruisers is better than one hmmmmm what one do I want to ride today :-)

Ok 1st photo I posted is the first gen the other guy posted what I think is second gens

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

No, the ventures do not have quick release but the baggershield windshields are a quick connect upper half of the shield...

Anyways, welcome aboard!! You do NOT have to own a Venture to be a member here! Not sure where in Ontario you are but I can tell you there are a LOT of members there, especially in Southern Ontario and are very active here!! OK to set you straight, the First Generation Ventures are from "83 until '93 and are subdivided between two versions, the MK1 from '83 to '85 which had the 1200 engine, and the MK2 which is '86 to '95 and had the 1300 engine and some design improvements such as better brakes and more luggage space. The 2nd Generation Venture is the years from '99 to 2013' and have a different 1300 engine and are Harley look alikes. Here's the link to the history page here which seems to be omitted by the original poster...

http://www.venturerider.org/history/index.php

OK as far as the RSTD, and there is also a RSTC (Royal Star Tour Classic), the differences have already been pointed out. There are advantages and disadvantages of the RSTD vs the Venture and the real deciding factor is really how much or how far you plan on travelling! If you are just a casual rider and don't do any long hauls then the RSTD should serve you will! But, if you are into long hauls and Touring, I would recommend the Venture for that kind of riding! The best bet is to swing a leg over and decide for yourself which type you would prefer! Both bikes are heavy, and as little top heavy for low speed handling and take a little to get used to! I have both a 1st gen and a 2nd gen and I can tell you the 1st gen is faster and handles better, but the 2nd gen is soooooo comfortable! Both are very reliable and a joy to ride!

Now as far as the "3rd" Gen Venture, it does not exist!! It is a spoof from all the years there has been rumor of a "new" Yamaha full dresser!!

Snyper's picture of a "2nd Gen" was a joke as to how much slower the 2nd gen is compared to the 1st gen! they really aren't THAT much slower but 1st genners like to pick on 2nd genners around here and we all pick on Harleys...

Stick around, and don't be shy, ask questions!! Hopefully one of our owners of the older RSTD's will chime in with their personal experience!

No, the ventures do not have quick release but the baggershield windshields are a quick connect upper half of the shield...

Anyways, welcome aboard!! You do NOT have to own a Venture to be a member here! Not sure where in Ontario you are but I can tell you there are a LOT of members there, especially in Southern Ontario and are very active here!! OK to set you straight, the First Generation Ventures are from "83 until '93 and are subdivided between two versions, the MK1 from '83 to '85 which had the 1200 engine, and the MK2 which is '86 to '95 and had the 1300 engine and some design improvements such as better brakes and more luggage space. The 2nd Generation Venture is the years from '99 to 2013' and have a different 1300 engine and are Harley look alikes. Here's the link to the history page here which seems to be omitted by the original poster...

http://www.venturerider.org/history/index.php

OK as far as the RSTD, and there is also a RSTC (Royal Star Tour Classic), the differences have already been pointed out. There are advantages and disadvantages of the RSTD vs the Venture and the real deciding factor is really how much or how far you plan on travelling! If you are just a casual rider and don't do any long hauls then the RSTD should serve you will! But, if you are into long hauls and Touring, I would recommend the Venture for that kind of riding! The best bet is to swing a leg over and decide for yourself which type you would prefer! Both bikes are heavy, and as little top heavy for low speed handling and take a little to get used to! I have both a 1st gen and a 2nd gen and I can tell you the 1st gen is faster and handles better, but the 2nd gen is soooooo comfortable! Both are very reliable and a joy to ride!

Now as far as the "3rd" Gen Venture, it does not exist!! It is a spoof from all the years there has been rumor of a "new" Yamaha full dresser!!

Snyper's picture of a "2nd Gen" was a joke as to how much slower the 2nd gen is compared to the 1st gen! they really aren't THAT much slower but 1st genners like to pick on 2nd genners around here and we all pick on Harleys...

Stick around, and don't be shy, ask questions!! Hopefully one of our owners of the older RSTD's will chime in with their personal experience!

Hey I just did that cause of what the @rbig1 said about first gens prolly having a hayday but that Oldsmobubbles does exist. Seen it up in Joplin thought it looked like a Dr Seuss mobile. The 3rd gen doesn't, I wished they would make one tho I would be interested in it.

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

Edited by snyper316

Greetings and welcome to the family!

I have a '99 RSTC which I bought from the 2nd owner with only 12K miles on it. It was bone stock, too.

Virtually the only difference between the Tour Classic and the Tour Deluxe was that the Deluxe had color-matching hard bags, while the Classic had butt-ugly leather wrapped plastic saddlebags that require 3 hands to use!

As stated previously, the early Royal Stars had 28mm carbs. They also had milder intake cams and a highly restrictive airbox.

The International Star Rider Association website has an airbox mod that some of their members developed called the Bigfoot Mod.

Basically it involves cutting the bottom of the airbox to match the intake hole of the air filter. There are also some carb mods and jetting changes to this mod. I tried them and it didn't seem worth the effort. What I found WAS worth the effort was replacing the 28mm carbs with a set of 32mm carbs from an 07 Venture. There was a member here who went by PEGSCRAPER who posted the procedure, including parts required (all yamaha OEM). carb set-ups, and a diagram with dimensions for the adapter plates. I made the plates in my garage using a bandsaw, drillpress and some files. The swap was pretty easy and the performance increase is HUGE.

I guess my point is that you can buy the higher HP in the newer bike, or get an older one for less money and tweak it yourself if you like doing that sort of thing. Any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There are no dumb questions here!

Well thank you very much for all the info Guys this has been a big help and I appreciate all the info, I think you guys will be seeing alot of me on here in the future. I hope to be picking my bike up in the next month I'm thinking the end of the riding season is insight here so I'm hoping to get a good deal on one.

so you guys know the difference between a Yamaha rider and a Harley rider ?????? The Yamaha Rider can read, hahahaha

Greetings and welcome to the family!

I have a '99 RSTC which I bought from the 2nd owner with only 12K miles on it. It was bone stock, too.

Virtually the only difference between the Tour Classic and the Tour Deluxe was that the Deluxe had color-matching hard bags, while the Classic had butt-ugly leather wrapped plastic saddlebags that require 3 hands to use!

As stated previously, the early Royal Stars had 28mm carbs. They also had milder intake cams and a highly restrictive airbox.

The International Star Rider Association website has an airbox mod that some of their members developed called the Bigfoot Mod.

Basically it involves cutting the bottom of the airbox to match the intake hole of the air filter. There are also some carb mods and jetting changes to this mod. I tried them and it didn't seem worth the effort. What I found WAS worth the effort was replacing the 28mm carbs with a set of 32mm carbs from an 07 Venture. There was a member here who went by PEGSCRAPER who posted the procedure, including parts required (all yamaha OEM). carb set-ups, and a diagram with dimensions for the adapter plates. I made the plates in my garage using a bandsaw, drillpress and some files. The swap was pretty easy and the performance increase is HUGE.

I guess my point is that you can buy the higher HP in the newer bike, or get an older one for less money and tweak it yourself if you like doing that sort of thing. Any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There are no dumb questions here!

Well thank you very much for all the info Guys this has been a big help and I appreciate all the info, I think you guys will be seeing alot of me on here in the future. I hope to be picking my bike up in the next month I'm thinking the end of the riding season is insight here so I'm hoping to get a good deal on one.

so you guys know the difference between a Yamaha rider and a Harley rider ?????? The Yamaha Rider can read, hahahaha

Another difference We got this Guru here and she knows her stuff, The girls on the back of the harley be like wtf she just say a carburetor whats that.:think::think::think::think:

Honestly I love all bikes I have a 2015 Indian Scout great little bomb around town bike, i love it, I really like Harley's too, I dont think they are the best , I actually believe Yamaha are the best but I do like Harley's, I love all 2 wheel things with a motor even Vespa's and Mopeds, that been said, I dont know about where you guys are but up here in Canada, Ontario there is a mini series about Harley Davids on Discovery Chanel tonight at 9 that I'm really looking forward to watching, I have the chips and dip already :-).

all my brothers ride Harley's , so I have to have an Indian or Japanese or Both :-)

Welcome aboard. It is really nice to see some new blood getting involved. Next thing you know you will be showing up at some of our rides/rallies. Like BongoBob said, their are a lot of member who live in Ontario and they love to ride and are always available to help in anyway. If you ride south of the boarder don't be a stranger, give us a call or drop a line, we're a pretty friendly bunch.

OK I Googled Whiby and found you are East of Toronto a bit on Lake Ontario. Several members in the Toronto/Mississauga area, lots more in Kitchener/Waterloo area, Hamilton, etc. One of the ringleaders is a guy called @Marcarl who lives in Brant and puts on several events/rides in the southern Ontario region. Great guy to know!! Also have a very good friend up in Bowmanville but he is not very active any more...

I'm very new here and I was looking for a thread called introduce your self or new users or something so I hope its ok that I started this thread here I wanted to introduce my self and ask a question. if this is the wrong place to do this please don't rip on me to hard, i'm about as sharp as a bowling ball sometimes. Anyway, I'm new to the cruisers in the last 2 yrs. I always had sport bikes but at 50 and Arthritis in my neck and shoulder problems from my bodybuilding days and a heavy influence from my brothers who are Harley riders, I decided last year that I would get a cruiser to see how I liked it and I bought a 1999 Kawasaki 800 drifter, I was out on it for an hr and knew I love this change and have put quite a few km/miles on that little 800 since, also, what has become clear is that with the wife and I on the hwy its under powered and that little motor is struggling, after a couple of months of re search from V Stars, Road stars , Vulcan 1500 , VTXs, Harley's and Suzi's, I have concluded that the Royal star Tour deluxe is the bike I want. of course I want to keep as much money in my pocket as I can but also this bike is one that I plan on keeping for a good few years, as fare as I'm concerned I feel Yamaha make the best Motorcycle engines so having a Yamaha for a long time bike I have no issues with. here is the problem, I can get a mint 98 Royal star deluxe with low KMs/Miles for a lot less then say a 2005 with the same KM's so the first questions is , what is the difference between the 2 bikes.

I found the Horse power differs 60ish HP compared to 98 HP that is a huge difference and frankly seems hard to believe with out huge engine changes and the only difference I can find is better air box in the later Royal stars, what are your guys experience?.

The way the wife and I like to ride and we did this on the sport bikes as well, we may ride 100 to 300 miles just on winding country roads taking in the scenery and maybe stop for lunch at a nice country restaurant or cafe but when its time to go home and we are a couple of hrs for home this is when its nice to have the power, some times the flow of traffic here in Ontario, Canada can be 80 or 85 miles per hr, not often but some times, however 70 or 75 is not uncommon and this is where the little 800 Kawi would fall short with 2 of us on it would the older royal star handle that kind of Hwy cruising for a hr or 2 at a time ?.

You guys are the know all about the royal stars so any info you would like to share I'd really appreciate, things to look for or avoid anything at all.

cheers

Karl

Wheeliehappy eh? Classy name encompassed by a touch of youthful adrenaline rush - my kind of varmint I tell ya!!:thumbsup::big-grin-emoticon::welcome1:to VR Wheelie!!:thumbsup:

Always liked the looks of those Drifter/Indian clones.. Saw a 1500 out at Sturgis that someone had spent a fair amount of time and money finishing the job that Kawi started.. Had a kick starter on it and all that.. I had an early Chief that I restored, fun bike but way to much money to leave sitting in a parking lot without supervision - also, not exactly the sort of scoot that the wife and I would head out for a month, do the two track camping and all that and expect to find repair parts along lifes trails. Was telling the guy who did the Drifter that one of the things I really liked about his AWESOME creation was it was TOTALLY cross country rideable PLUS, those beach bars he had mounted just screamed COW TRAIL ME COWPUC!! Definitely cool scoots.. Would LOVE to see pics of your 800 Wheelie!!

Concerning the early RSTD's,, as usual - thinking these guys have got ya covered.. Only thing I may add is that I am almost for pure sure that the 98's did NOT have a balance shaft.. Owned my fair share of Harleys thru the years and know that HD differenciates between their balanced and unbalanced motors by calling them an "A" motor for the unbalance shaft and the "B" motor for the one with the balance shaft.. Mom Yam on the other hand never really did anything like that that I am aware of.. Kind of shame too because, IMHO - this could be a significant factor - depending on what your future plan is for the motor.. I know one thing - I would ask around a bunch here on the site before I started looking at spinning the unbalanced motor up.. Seems like @StarFan may have had some experience along the line of doing that.. Maybe @DarrinGT too.. Good possibility I am wayyyy out in left center field on this one Wheelie (I have a habit of doing that - went over backwards a few times trying to be a happy wheelier like you and bonked my beaner:missingtooth:) but thought I would toss it out there for :Im not listening to:big-grin-emoticon:..

Concerning the rideability of the RSTD cruiser version of our family of scoots.. I have a really really good friend from Wisconsin (ok, he's a faithful cheesehead but he is still a good friend of mine :big-grin-emoticon:) who's known around here as @eagleeye.. I rode some distance following the Eagle on his RSTD while he towed his trailer to Ohio for a Maintenance Day.. I also know that after the Maintenance Day Eagleeye proceeded to do a major cross country tour on his scoot. He sure looked mighty comfy on that bike!! Only concern that I can think of has to do with the fact that I believe Steves riding is mostly 1 up.. I have spent a fair amount of time 2 up on the tour and prefer a full blown touring scoot (actually,, I am kind of partial to the 1st Gen Mk1's but thats a whole nuther story) but, after admiring the shear beauty of Eagleeyes cruiser I have often wondered if some of the same seat mods done to the RSV's could not be done to and RSTD to make em a really nice 2 up cruiser tourer.. :think:,, I suppose some other consideration would be finding out how/if their suspention differs..

Well,, there ya have it,, a whole page of :stirthepot: and :Im not listening to.. Hope it results in drawing some attention to your thread here and ultimately :fishin: nets you some answers from some lop eared varmints who have a clue :178::rotfl:..

In the spirit of familiness, fun and shear :biker: enjoyment!!

Puc

I had a Tour Deluxe prior to my current Venture. As stated above the differences are few but I did notice nobody mentioned the fuel tank size. The RSTD is 5 gallons give or take and the Venture is 1 gallon larger.

But they key point I wanted to share is that my wife much prefers the Venture. The seat is more comfortable but it is also slightly higher than the RSTD so rather than looking at the back of my helmet she can see over my shoulders much easier.

Wheeliehappy eh? Classy name encompassed by a touch of youthful adrenaline rush - my kind of varmint I tell ya!!:thumbsup::big-grin-emoticon::welcome1:to VR Wheelie!!:thumbsup:

Always liked the looks of those Drifter/Indian clones.. Saw a 1500 out at Sturgis that someone had spent a fair amount of time and money finishing the job that Kawi started.. Had a kick starter on it and all that.. I had an early Chief that I restored, fun bike but way to much money to leave sitting in a parking lot without supervision - also, not exactly the sort of scoot that the wife and I would head out for a month, do the two track camping and all that and expect to find repair parts along lifes trails. Was telling the guy who did the Drifter that one of the things I really liked about his AWESOME creation was it was TOTALLY cross country rideable PLUS, those beach bars he had mounted just screamed COW TRAIL ME COWPUC!! Definitely cool scoots.. Would LOVE to see pics of your 800 Wheelie!!

Concerning the early RSTD's,, as usual - thinking these guys have got ya covered.. Only thing I may add is that I am almost for pure sure that the 98's did NOT have a balance shaft.. Owned my fair share of Harleys thru the years and know that HD differenciates between their balanced and unbalanced motors by calling them an "A" motor for the unbalance shaft and the "B" motor for the one with the balance shaft.. Mom Yam on the other hand never really did anything like that that I am aware of.. Kind of shame too because, IMHO - this could be a significant factor - depending on what your future plan is for the motor.. I know one thing - I would ask around a bunch here on the site before I started looking at spinning the unbalanced motor up.. Seems like StarFan may have had some experience along the line of doing that.. Maybe DarrinGT too.. Good possibility I am wayyyy out in left center field on this one Wheelie (I have a habit of doing that - went over backwards a few times trying to be a happy wheelier like you and bonked my beaner:missingtooth:) but thought I would toss it out there for :Im not listening to:big-grin-emoticon:..

Concerning the rideability of the RSTD cruiser version of our family of scoots.. I have a really really good friend from Wisconsin (ok, he's a faithful cheesehead but he is still a good friend of mine :big-grin-emoticon:) who's known around here as eagleeye.. I rode some distance following the Eagle on his RSTD while he towed his trailer to Ohio for a Maintenance Day.. I also know that after the Maintenance Day Eagleeye proceeded to do a major cross country tour on his scoot. He sure looked mighty comfy on that bike!! Only concern that I can think of has to do with the fact that I believe Steves riding is mostly 1 up.. I have spent a fair amount of time 2 up on the tour and prefer a full blown touring scoot (actually,, I am kind of partial to the 1st Gen Mk1's but thats a whole nuther story) but, after admiring the shear beauty of Eagleeyes cruiser I have often wondered if some of the same seat mods done to the RSV's could not be done to and RSTD to make em a really nice 2 up cruiser tourer.. :think:,, I suppose some other consideration would be finding out how/if their suspention differs..

Well,, there ya have it,, a whole page of :stirthepot: and :Im not listening to.. Hope it results in drawing some attention to your thread here and ultimately :fishin: nets you some answers from some lop eared varmints who have a clue :178::rotfl:..

In the spirit of familiness, fun and shear :biker: enjoyment!!

Puc

:confused07::confused07: Hey boss we need crickets lots and lots of crickets and maybe some croaking bull frogs:icon_lurker: :scratchchin: