IGNORED

Too many flat tires

ToyOdie

I just replaced both my tires. I ride my bike to work most days and have to go through construction areas. I also work at a home improvement store with lots of contractor trucks that seem to drop anything and everything with every drop of the tailgate. I went to go for a ride and found not one but two nails in the rear tire. That tire had less than 4000 miles on it and looked virtually new. I don't like the idea of plugging motorcycle tires so I ordered a new set from Jake Wilson. The front tire had close to 14,000 miles and was getting close to the wear bars. While getting them mounted at a local bike shop I was asked why I didn't just put a tube in it. To be honest, I never thought about it. This is the second rear tire I've put on in the last 6 months so is this a possible solution to replacing the tire? I kept the tire until I can find out if I can use a tube. Have any of you installed one and what size did you use? What are the pro's and con's of using a tube on a tubeless rim? Just looking for a cheaper solution.

The damaged area still exists to the tire carcass even with a tube. It's speed rating is no longer valid. The method of retaining air with a tube is just as reliable as installing a patch with protruding plug from inside the tire. In either event the tire must be dismounted, the hole cleaned and deburred. I believe a patch that includes a protruding plug installed from within the tire is much better than running a tube. Either of those options is better then running with a plug just pushed through the exterior of the tire.

Many folks have run thousands of miles with exterior plugs. They are just lucky.

I had an almost new rear tire plugged once. The plug was applied from the inside and then they applied a patch over it. This will only work if the damage is not in or near the sidewall. Never had a problem with it and put 8 to 10 thousand on the tire before replacing it.

If the puncture is in the tread area, a plug can be applied. I have run a couple thousands of miles. Is it preferred? Probably not, depends on size of hole I suppose. As far as a tube, no problem. But here is the deal. If you dont patch the hole in the tire from puncture, it can/will pinch the tube and you could have a flat all over again. Once again if the hole is in the center part of carcass it is repairable, not sidewall. Plus putting a tube in a tire is a huge PIA. Thats one of the reasons I got away from the Vulcan 900. Spoke wheels and tubes.

I picked up a nail in the first hundred miles I rode. Had tire patched from inside and installed tube. Got 8000 plus on tire now. Sound like you should mount a good magnet to bottom of bike.

That aint as silly as it sounds.

I put a big powerful magnet on the bottom of my bike to trip a traffic signal that I go thru often. I have found many nails and screws and other steel junk stuck to that magnet over the years. I figure everyone of them was headed for the rear wheel.

My theory as to why the rear is that one that seems to collect the nails and not the front is;

The nail is laying on its side on the road, it is not pointed in a direction to puncture anything. the front tire rolls over it and causes it to start bouncing down the road and the rear gets there just as the nail is point up and POOF.

My magnet will not pick a nail off the ground, but it will snag one that is about 2 inches off the ground. Maybe I need a bigger magnet...................