IGNORED

Custom Dynamics run/turn/brake signal issue

XV1100SE

Thought I'd mention this in case someone else has problems with the CD R/T/B signal lights.

I had one signal (rear) that would "sometimes" work. What I found was that the connector that plugs into the socket seemed to have a bad wire inside the base. The base is filled with what appears to be hot glue. I contacted CD and they said to send it back and they could repair it. Warranty appartently is on the LED bulbs, not the base. I'm too cheap to pay for shipping to send it back so what I did was :

- cut off the CD base

- take a bulb with the right base (think it was a 1157) and break off the glass, leaving the wires coming from the base to the filament intact but removed the filament.

- soldered the CD signal light to the bulb base wires and heat shrunk it with multiple layers of tubing to fill the base

I think this is now more solid than the way CD does theirs. My signal light now works every time !

Side note :

The Custom Dynamics run/turn/brake lights are a great idea to light up the rear....HOWEVER....the turn signals aren't very visible in bright sunlight. I'm adding a Harley light bar that will be dedicated signals rather than run/brake. Going to put in dual intensity amber LED's from "Chrome Glow" with amber lenses. Bulbs are made by Drag Specialties and have 32 "super bright" LED's per "bulb".