IGNORED

V&H HD Mufflers

uechi kid

I've been thinking about swapping out my Barron mufflers for the V&H Monster Ovals. I see that there are several different models. Are these the ones that are compatible with the RSV (I am aware I need to make mounting brackets)? Vance & Hines - 16755 - Monster Oval Slip-Ons.

Thanks

Edited by uechi kid

I've been thinking about swapping out my Barron mufflers for the V&H Monster Ovals. I see that there are several different models. Are these the ones that are compatible with the RSV (I am aware I need to make mounting brackets)? Vance & Hines - 16755 - Monster Oval Slip-Ons.

Thanks

Yes, this is the part number I purchased and currently have on my 2005 Tour Deluxe.

If you are talking about the big chrome clamps that are sold on eBay, I have a set that's been sitting on my work bench for the last six months. Thanks for the offer. As soon as I get the mufflers I will check to make sure the ones I have will work. If not l'll contact you.

I received the new mufflers the other day and when I opened up the box there was no hardware. That's being taken care of by the seller. While I was waiting for the mufflers to get here i made a template for the mounting bracket from a drawing I found on the internet, it's probably here too. Lining the template up with the bracket welded to the mufflers the bolt holes are an inch and a half off. The holes on the mufflers are 2" on center and the diagram show them to be 3.5" on center. Anyone else run into this?

Here's the diagram I am referring to.

full_bracket.jpg

No doubt, Good call on that one,.

Here is the deal, I installed the Monster Ovals on my 97 Royal when converting from 4 into4 exhaust to 4 into 2 exhaust. I also lowered the leather bags during the process so everything was custom made.

Here is a pic of that:

20150507_114540.jpg

Then I got my 07 Royal and wanted to put the MO's on that bike before selling the 97, well I assumed that since any stock Harley touring muffler would fit with the brackets, than any aftermarket muffler for the Harley's would be a bolt on deal with the brackets as well. I went to swap them out and ran into the issue that you are running into, but I already bought the brackets. I took them to my buddys Machine Shop he cut them down drilled new holes. Should have just made new brackets.

Pics of that:

20160626_213405 (1).jpg

That said, The MO's have the mounting points moved back from the end more than the stock Harley Mufflers just because of how they are built. I can olny assume that when you buy new MO's for your harley they come with new brackets as well.

So when I was getting the 97 ready to sell, I bought some HD mufflers from CL to replace the MO's, that is when I realized I had a problem. so I ended up installing the stock Venture Mufflers on the 97 instead. It was way easier to make a bracket for them and the guy that bought loved it because it was quiet.

Plus they actually looked pretty nice on there,..

20160628_141317.jpg

So yes, bottom line wen someone wants to put Vance and Hines Monster Ovals on their Royal or Venture, they will have to make their own Brackets. But they are worth the effort!

I didn't have time this weekend to make revisions to the template but I'm sure that won't be a problem. I found plans for brackets that use 2" wide steel that look like they might be easier to make. See Attached. They are for the RK mufflers so I'll still need to make them to fit the MOs. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Mounting Bracket.png

Edited by uechi kid

• 1 year later...
I received the new mufflers the other day and when I opened up the box there was no hardware. That's being taken care of by the seller. While I was waiting for the mufflers to get here i made a template for the mounting bracket from a drawing I found on the internet, it's probably here too. Lining the template up with the bracket welded to the mufflers the bolt holes are an inch and a half off. The holes on the mufflers are 2" on center and the diagram show them to be 3.5" on center. Anyone else run into this?

Here's the diagram I am referring to.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=106877

I am getting ready to install some Monster Ovals as well, quick question, to set them up for the bracket for the MOs at 2 inch instead of 3 1/2 which point in your template remained static, #1 or #2 ?

For the life of me I can't seem to find a template that shows this correctly for the MOs on a Venture, I assume #1 remains static with a distance of 2 inch on center with 2. Figured I better ask to be sure, usually when I assume things don't go well.

Thanks

I never trust anyone else'e measurements. The best way to make the brackets is to clamp the mufflers on the headers then make templates with a pieces of cardboard. I cut two, 2 inch wide cardboard strips and fit them in place so all 3 holes were covered. ( two holes on the mufflers and mount hole on the saddlebag bracket.) Marked the holes , then transferred templates to the 2" wide x 1/8" thick steel, Drilled the holes and shape rounded the corners. The whole deal from template to working brackets took about 20 minutes. Waited for the paint to dry and I was out riding in 45 minutes, start to finish.

Another thing you may want to consider with the MO's is to add baffles. Actually I highly recommend them. Although these mufflers sound great at idle, they get very annoying when cruising around or on longer trips. They give off harmonics that actually will hurt your ears. I read on another forum about adding Smartpartz baffles so I bought them, Took ten minutes to install them. It's like night and day. Great rumble at idle, nice rumble tooling down the highway and no more nasty harmonics. Best sounding exhaust I have ever heard.

These are the baffles that fit perfectly. http://www.smartpartz.com/SPZHK250ST.html

I didn't have time this weekend to make revisions to the template but I'm sure that won't be a problem. I found plans for brackets that use 2" wide steel that look like they might be easier to make. See Attached. They are for the RK mufflers so I'll still need to make them to fit the MOs. Thanks for sharing the pics.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=106920

This is what I finally did. I used a file folder and cut it 2" X 11" to use as a template. I slipped one of the mufflers on the header pipe and aligned it by eye. Then I took the blank file folder template and lined it up with the holes in the muffler and the bracket on the bike. I marked, on the blank file folder template where the holes need to be. Voila! Template to make my bracket.

I never trust anyone else'e measurements. The best way to make the brackets is to clamp the mufflers on the headers then make templates with a pieces of cardboard. I cut two, 2 inch wide cardboard strips and fit them in place so all 3 holes were covered. ( two holes on the mufflers and mount hole on the saddlebag bracket.) Marked the holes , then transferred templates to the 2" wide x 1/8" thick steel, Drilled the holes and shape rounded the corners. The whole deal from template to working brackets took about 20 minutes. Waited for the paint to dry and I was out riding in 45 minutes, start to finish.

Another thing you may want to consider with the MO's is to add baffles. Actually I highly recommend them. Although these mufflers sound great at idle, they get very annoying when cruising around or on longer trips. They give off harmonics that actually will hurt your ears. I read on another forum about adding Smartpartz baffles so I bought them, Took ten minutes to install them. It's like night and day. Great rumble at idle, nice rumble tooling down the highway and no more nasty harmonics. Best sounding exhaust I have ever heard.

These are the baffles that fit perfectly. http://www.smartpartz.com/SPZHK250ST.html

Ditto on the smartpartz baffles. Without them I'd have removed the MO's.

Ditto on the smartpartz baffles. Without them I'd have removed the MO's.

I haven't noticed the harmonics issue at speed, but maybe it's because I went from Baron 4-2 Nasty Boy Pipes to the Monster Ovals. The MOs have made it so we are no longer worn-out from the loud pipes after a long day in the saddle. I wish I had put these mufflers on in the first place.