IGNORED

New Vennture 2nd gen owner thoughts

sizzle

Alright brothers and sisters new owner here of a 2002 midnight Venture. First impressions on the bike is that it is smooth with more power than I thought it would have coming from a 1800 VTX S. Second is its a little high for my 32 inseam so not feeling real comfortable yet on it.

So read lots of info on the bike and the many mods owners have done so I know I have some options available to me for lowering the bike. The previous owner I believe put extensions on the risers to bring the bars back a little.

What I am wondering if any one has put some T-bars on these maybe from a Harley since the spacing is the same as the Harleys ?

Thanks in advance...safe riding

Joe

Well Joe,, your one up on this ol boy = never ever did get to have a 2nd Gen..

Thought I better jump in here and tell ya :ice_congrats-vi6886 on the new scoot though - you get er all ironed out and adjusted to your liking = I gotta hunch your gonna LOVE IT!!:thumbsup:

All the best in your new endeavor!

Puc

Joe,

I would drop the front end first. Drop about an inch and it will lower the front enough to feel more stable for you.

Then look into bars with a tad more pull back. There are a ton of posts about different bars for the 2nd Gen's. Do a search.

Enjoy your new RSV!

P.S. Pictures are very important here!

If the bike is to tall for you, try to confirm if the previous owner put leveling links on the bike, those are a common modification and they raise the rear end by about 3/4 inch If the PO is not available to talk to or no maintenance log available, the only way to be sure is to get down and measure the dog bone links on the rear suspension, I am sure some one here has the measurements for the stock and modified links. Barons makes a lowering it for the rear.

It is typically pretty easy to tell if the leveling links have been installed. Just get down and look at them. The tock links are dog boned shape and a black or dark gray color. Most of the leveling links are not dog boned shape and typically either stainless or painted black. Usually just straight pieces of steel and possibly rounded on the edges but not dog boned shape.

Also something has to be done with the rear caliper if it has had links changed. I forget which way, hopefully someone can refresh my old memory here. I am about 32 inseam also (at least that what britches are) and I lowered the front end 3/4" in triple tree. If to do again I would just go the full 1", easier to measure. It levels the bike out as it seems Yamaha designed the thing wih the but end lower for some reason and it dont really hep the low speed handling.

Oh and on your handlebar search be sure to know if you have to change cables and hyd lines along with those.

Also something has to be done with the rear caliper if it has had links changed. I forget which way, hopefully someone can refresh my old memory here.

The caliper only needs to be relocated if the rear end is lowered with something like the Baron's kit, but I have heard of folks not using the relocation kit when lowered.

And Feebird is correct on the visuals of the links, after market ones will likely not be dogbone shaped

I have an '02 midnight special. At first I found it a bit tall for me. Part of the problem was the wide seat at the front. I simply bought heavy duty boots with a good thick sole with a good tread on them. This helped and over time I now have no problem.