IGNORED

Sturgis

Rick Haywood

I may be there for a day or so in my truck. My wife is taking off a week from work next week. I'm driving to Denver and picking her up from the airport Saturday with the plan to tour Wyoming and areas. After dropping her off the next weekend, I may go over to Sturgis just to say I've been, regretfully without a bike though. I wanted to drive out so I could do a little more touring before coming back home.

Rick,

After Sturgis where are you headed! Make post every now and then would like to keep up with the fires and heat wave.

Wife and I are going up the UP and then over to Thunder Bay and on West to Jasper, AB for the Icefields Parkway. Leaving after Labor Day.

Be safe and have a great time. Don't look now Ethel to late that would be the streak.

Later

Cowboy

If at all possible - health wise - Tip and I are planning on riding out and back...

Things must be improving for you to even consider going!

Really glad to hear it.

Not too long ago it would have been a straight up "no"

I guess us South Dakotans are a goofy bunch, we do it backwards. Neighbor and I took his camper and trailer and my toyhauler out to Sturgis yesterday. Left at 4:30 a.m. and got out to the campground and got everything set up in time or lunch. We met 2 other couples out there who are friends and camp beside us. After lunch we ran some errands and even had time for a quick nap. We went and had supper then we went to the Black Hills National Cemetery to pay respects to 2 of the wives (sisters) in our groups father. He was a veteran, and it was quite a moving experience. What a beautiful place, and it really hits home when you see all the markers. What a special evening standing there in the twilight. We got up early this morning and the 2 couples we met up with headed for a trip into Iowa, and my neighbor and I came home. And Puc, we even stopped at the Blue Line Diner in Newell and had breakfast. Most people ride out and back, us goofballs ride back and out.......wives are happy with a comfy place to stay, and we get our riding in. I got home at 1:30 today after 320 miles. Going to head back out either next Tuesday afternoon, or Wednesday morning.

Something you might find useful. Highway Patrol cars have been white with maroon trim. I have been seeing some that are black and maroon, as well as some black SUV's. Might help save you a speeding ticket......

Something you might find useful. Highway Patrol cars have been white with maroon trim. I have been seeing some that are black and maroon, as well as some black SUV's. Might help save you a speeding ticket......

Wait; how ffffffFASTttttt do you have be going to get a ticket in S Dak?

Wait; how ffffffFASTttttt do you have be going to get a ticket in S Dak?

:scratchchin:,,,,, thats a toughy,, over the course of 40+ years of doing the Rally and playing around in South Dakota I have noticed some subtle changes in that regard. One of things I noticed is that the every morning and evening "drag race" on the road way from the town of Sturgis out past Fort Mead and on to the Full Throttle Saloon and back again has been MAJORLY curtailed - you REALLY want to watch your speed along that route.. Another thing I have noticed is that a :backinmyday: looking character with his wife or kid on the back of a stickered covered beat up ol Yamaha 1st Gen and a tent flappin in the wake can actually get away with quite a bit more :hihi: than a 17 year old kid outrunning a pac of wild eyed Pan Head riders on his chopped 650 Yam:sign67: can..

:lightbulb: Something else to consider,,, if your used to packin heat (even if your an out of state LEO or CCW holder) you might want to reconsider in SD during the Rally.. I was told by a very reliable source a number of years ago (long story but basically my daughter and rode beside an LEO in a small airplane for an hour or so - he landed on the prairie and pulled into the gas station with his "bird" as we were filling up our scoot) that during the Rally dates = NO PACKIN.. I also know they dont allow club "colors" - funny though,, I never removed my "Venturerider.org" club sticker that Squid put on Tweeks (and is now on Tweeksis) and caught no flak for that so I guess club "stickers" are ok :missingtooth::mugshot:

DSCN0243.JPG

DSCN0411.JPG

Edited by cowpuc

True story....back in 09 on our way out to Sturgis coming from Pierre SD myself and another guy were going to meet up with a friend at a gas station about 80 miles from Sturgis. About 10 miles out of Pierre we met road construction and a pilot car. Bikes were backed up for 1/4 mile. After we get through the road construction everybody took off in one pack with the lead bike doing the speed limit. The guy riding with me timed the traffic and rolling hills to pass a bunch and dropped back in line. I hesitated pulling out and wasn't able to catch back up with him. Pretty soon he had passed almost all of the bikes and I was hung up in back unable to catch up. Finally we got to a straight section with no hills and since everybody was happy tooling along at 55 I hammered down on the RSTD and passed all of them at once doing about 90. We got to the gas station later and filled up and were waiting for our friend who was coming back from Sturgis to meet us. After about 10 minutes all the bikes we passed pulled in and were filling up. The guy who was leading the group came up to me and said "How fast were you going?" I said about 90 (I did slow down to about 75 after I caught my buddy). He said "You s.o.b's are crazy! Aint you worried about getting picked up?" I said no way. All the cops are at Sturgis, not out here in no mans land. Just slow down the last 50 miles or so. I then told him to hurry up and he can follow us in to Sturgis. He grinned and politely declined. I bet that RSTD sounded wild going by at 90 with fishtails on it. I'm sure they heard me coming and going......And for the record I don't normally ride that way, but the riders in front of me had some opportunities to pass and nobody did. They were going to stay all bunched up until they got to the gas station. I don't normally pass more than one vehicle at a time. I'm not a big fan of that many bikes in a bunch either.....

WOW.....I am hoping to depart Illinois Saturday and arrive late Sunday....Been going since 2007...AND I ALSO OWN a 2000 Royal Star MM Limited....I forget the #, but the # tag is under my trunk twilight on Lid....are u riding or trailering.....I'll be riding , as my Lady is going on a trip later this month on a MLB tour with her parents....I too hope to be in Sturgis oil the 14 as well.....I camp in Rapid City.....KOA...been a great stay since 2007, great staff and CLEAN....