IGNORED

No more Ruby

Wrench

She has gone to the great salvage yard in the sky, well, she's actually at CoPart in Louisville. On June 1st at about 9:30pm a deer stepped out in front of us on a local county road, it was a direct T-bone impact at about 40-45mph. I got a lot of rash, a concussion and broken clavicle. My fiancé didn't fare quite so well, she had 2 brain bleeds, lost the tips of 3 toes on her left foot, had 8 broken ribs, and was airlifted to UofL Hospital in Louisville where she was unconscious for 34 hours. The doctors said the thing that saved her life was her helmet, it impacted the asphalt on the right rear and cracked it up the side about 5 inches. Mine was just scraped all the way around, no cracks. We are both healed up for the most part, and we've been released by all our doctors. We never saw the deer, and I just remember a couple of "flashes" from the accident. Ruby suffered a badly busted up fairing, a LOT of damage on the right side, and a bent frame at the neck so she was a total loss. We are going to take the rest of this year off from a bike and see what next year brings. We both have been riding over 50 yrs and this has been by far the worst accident for either of us. Just be safe out on the road. I know there are things that are out of our control, but we just accept the risk cause we love riding.

She has gone to the great salvage yard in the sky,

We both have been riding over 50 yrs and this has been by far the worst accident for either of us. Just be safe out on the road. I know there are things that are out of our control, but we just accept the risk cause we love riding.

So glad you made it through! Didn't see one last night till it was in the road headed towards me on the RSV, then it veered and went back to the side it came from...

Richard,

Glad to hear you are mending!

I think this is the part the bothers me the most anymore...regardless of what I'm driving/riding....deer or other large animals jumping out in front of us at speed. I'm slowing down even more in my Yukon XL when I'm up in Payson due to lots of elk running the roads. Scares me cause there usually is no warning...

Good idea to take some time off and relax from riding. But hope you stick around here...

Sorry to hear about Ruby. But she gave her all for the two of you...

Deer scare me to death in the Miata because you don't run into them, but run under them, which means they are in your windshield. I had one really close encounter on the bike and don't know how I missed it as it happened so quick.

Glad you two survived as good as you did.

BTW, Miatas are a great alternative to motorcycles when you reach that time when you are not comfortable on the bike.

Randy

Wow. Really appreciate your post and it is so bad to hear of your accident that was beyond your control but so good to hear that you are recovering. My own 88 VR that I liked so much was recently written off by the insurance co so I have much empathy. I also think every day about how fortunate I was as it could have been much worse for me. Wishing you both the best possible recovery.

Sorry to hear about your accident but thankful that you and your fiance have/are recovering.

Definitely understand you wanting to take some time off from riding. Hope you have it in you to stay on vr.org even if you choose not to ride again. Please pass along our best wishes to your fiance.

Wow! What a disaster! So glad you two are recovering well!

A big buck deer ran into the side of my car after I entered the 35 speed zone of Peru, Nebraska after dark. That is when I decided that deer were so stupid that they had to have been put on earth for food and we should be eating more deer!

Yes videoarizona, I'm just really glad we were on a 800# bike. The first person to find us said it was a big deer, and it wasn't dead, so he finished it off. I stripped off all the accessories I could, because if there is another bike it will be another RSV. Yes the insurance settlement was better than what I expected, just hated to see her go. Thank you all for the posts, it gets better every day. As for the Miata,,, well, my fiancé has a red '09 Mini-Cooper convertible that will do rather nicely for now. :)

Edited by Wrench