IGNORED

Need a little help

slowrollwv

I got a GoPro camera and it works great mounted to the handlebars. The problem is when I down load it to my computer I can not move it to Photobucket. I don't think the vids are to long about 7 or 8 minutes. I am not sure it is my settings or the difference in cameras as I have loaded other videos to the bucket.I am lost and could use a little help.

OK first I have to say I have no video camera past my phone. So bear with me on some ideas. Is there a GO PRO user forum? Maybe ask the folks on the site you want to post about it. If you have uploaded there before, I just have to believe it is something in your settings. Is it a compatible format? I'm sure you have done some sort of search.

I have an original GoPro and have no problems moving my videos around from DropBox and back. So I would ask the guru's on Photobucket if there is a file size limitation per file or a format issue...

BTW, all of my GoPro videos are already mp4 format. HD.

Don't mean to be a wet blanket, I too have a Photobucket account. It's OK for linking pictures on the forums and thru email. Although even if you are a paying subscriber they bomb you with spam advertising. And to be honest they clip the h3ll out of your video so it looks worse than on Youtube. Why get a half decent video camera when they clip it so much it looks like it was taken by a $12 camera from China. I still have my Photobucket account but I also have a Vimeo account for my video, much much better and they don't clip your video. However, You need to understand 720 vs 1080 (or better), the difference in data rates, the difference in frame rates, the difference in audio quality which I always set to the lowest as I'm on a bike - not concert hall to save on data rate.

Now back to Photobucket:

Video limits

500 MB or less, and 10 minutes or less

Supported Video file types:

Videos – 3g2, 3gp, 3gp2, 3gpp, avi, divx, flv, gif, mov, mp4, mpeg4, mpg4, mpeg, mpg, m4v, wmv

All video files are converted to .mp4 format when you upload them.

I also had a terrible time attempting to upload video to Photobucket. It took forever and failed most of the time.

You'd be best to use Video codec H.264 for streaming (on the internet)

HERE is a great site that does a good job explaining it all.

My helmet cam setup. I'll run one camera or the other camera. It's just this helmet has the smoothest mounting surfaces. It took some finesse with the Gopro mounting to get the correct recording angle. The front of the helmet has too sharp of an angle to hold the adhesive mount, had to move it to the side. When it cools off I'll post a video.

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk100/aharbi/Motorcycle/P7067591r.jpg

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk100/aharbi/Motorcycle/P7067597r.jpg

I'm some what new to this myself, only 6 months.

My Vimeo videos

I have the Plus offering at $60 per year, 5GB per week upload or 250GB per year. I have uploaded 1hr 30min HD video and a 41 min video quite successfully. But thats over kill as who wants to see that long of a video of riding or your vacation unless your making a full feature movie :-) Five GB per week is plenty for me (thats a ton of 3-4 minute videos). I have uploaded video that does not do well streaming over the internet, way too big biterate. Stutters when played back with anything less than a 5mb internet connection. The average US home connection is 3.9mb. This is why I mentioned biterate and provided the link. Videoarizona provided the link to signup with Vimeo. And yes Youtube is free but clips your video down to 30 frames and biterate (video quality) to less than half.

For home use - from your PC via HDMI to your TV biterate is not a problem. Record at the highest settings for the best playback quality. But you won't be sending it over the internet :-) It just depends on what streaming video quality your happy with. Videoarizona is a good resource as he has professional experience with digital video. He helped me get started understanding and editing video. Believe me it can get deep quick :-)

Well said, @aharbi.

I use 1280x720P 30 fps for all internet stuff. I even shoot in that for most of my HD work. I use 3K-5K bitrate, H264 mp4 for my edited output for internet use. I use much higher bit rates but same codec for my pro uses. H264 (MP4) is the best codec for shooting, editing and distribution. It's efficient, streams easily and looks great even when highly compressed. Far better than MOV, AVI, et al. Did you know mp4 is also used for your Dish/Direct Tv signal? And that is highly compressed. Europe has been using it for years for their HD TV distribution.

Why use 720P? Because it's actually better than 1080i for fast moving scenes. Shooting 1080P takes far more memory(disc, thumb drive, SD card, etc.) to hold the footage, takes more computer horsepower to process and run, takes a better video card, takes more effort to edit. So why bother? Is shooting 1080P better than 720P? Yep....But...The visual differences are so small no one will ever know. I can get more footage on each SD card with 720P vs 1080P. Plus, shooting progressive mode (P) vs interlace mode (i) means every frame is a complete picture... where in interlace mode, it takes two fields to make one frame...any movement in that 1/60th of a second is easily seen as a blur in the movement.

Some say 720P is not true HD. Well, that's great marketing, but its a lie. (like politicians!) You see, the powers to be with the FCC/NAB/ATSC and other organizations that rule TV land, say 1080 and 720 are both TRUE HD. If you still doubt this, look at the specs on some of the TV channels for your area. Guess what, some are broadcasting 720P!

So there ya go. Try and shoot 720P in your GoPro....30 frames per second is good, but 60 FPS is better for fast motion...but takes more space on the card. Your call here. If you ahve a powerful computer and lots of space for video files, shoot 1080P 60FPS. Try it out and see if you can see the difference.

Thanks for reading...and hope this helps.

david

Edited by videoarizona
clarification

I have been using Smugmug as my photo/video sharing site. It was started by Baldy, the same guy that started/runs Advrider.com. IIRC, it is $60/year for essentially unlimited storage. There is a less expensive option for pictures only - no video. Smugmug maintains the original resolution, no clipping. Their site also makes it really easy to resize for posting in forums, social media, and/or emails.

I think there are some codes to get 20% off for the first year. PM me for details if you are interested.

No relationship with Smugmug other than a satisfied customer.

RR

Thatks for the info on SmugMug. I checked into it. Looks nice for photo sharing - got tobe better than Photobucket. Video limit is 20min and less than 3Gb. Which is alot of video. They seem to favor photography. I had to hunt for the video information. Would like to see a video that you may of posted.