IGNORED

Needing Some Support:

Rob Swallows

I'm wanting to install three folding flag poles onto our bike. Wife is not for it at all for some reason. Of course a "stars and bars", a POW, and citing I rebuild antique "Mack" heavy trucks, a corporate flag of this brand, (which I have).

Maybe if you folks chime in I can convince her for allowance as the bike is joint ownership and we really don't do things in opposition to the other.

Looks like our first trip together in many years on the motorcycle is going to be to the upper portion of Wisconsin to some point up there on Lake Michigan. Maybe rent a cabin and attend a fish boil. Looks to be just under 400 miles and we can break it up by stopping at friend's along the way, and son's house in Chicagoland up and back. This of course is just a warm up for our long trip later in the year. I can't convince her to set out of the long trip on an unproven bike which has been setting for five full years.....

Thanks,

Rob

Flags? Heavens, no! They might hide some of the chrome....

Somehow I don't see you getting a lot of support with this. Good luck, but remember:

If ever, when you're having a frank discussion with your wife, you find out you're actually right, APOLOGIZE IMMEDIATELY!

Her opposition is based upon "never seeing them except in a parade". I don't know and see them everywhere on bikes. Not a big deal at all but another touch which shows support for the country and the POW cause. Personally I grew up around Mack trucks and highly favor the brand, (pre 1980).

Certainly no fights ensuing about it or anything like that. I just won't install anything without being in the same boat as it's a shared asset so to speak. Married at 18 and 38 years into this, I'm not about to change now as it works for both.

Rob

How big of flags are you talking about?

Big flags are a lot of wind drag and can be loud flapping in the wind, your poles have to be quite strong to hold up at 100 mph wind speed. (70 MPH into a 30 MPH headwind is not unrealistic)

Big flags also add a lot of side load in a cross wind.

So if you are talking big flags then I would say to go for it but only for around town.

Small trunk mounted type flags are no problem, tell her they will look great.

Now if you have a receiver hitch :whistling: you can make a plug in flag pole holder to put them on and take them off in just seconds. That way you can have the flags when solo and take them off for 2 up and both be happy.

Meet ya in the middle some time for a root beer or an ice cream?

You betcha. I get up around the quad cities a bit for work when they have problems on the airfield and you're not too far out of the way there.

On my/our trips I'll be posting itinerary and maybe a few of us can meet along the way(s).

How big of flags are you talking about?

Big flags are a lot of wind drag and can be loud flapping in the wind, your poles have to be quite strong to hold up at 100 mph wind speed. (70 MPH into a 30 MPH headwind is not unrealistic)

Big flags also add a lot of side load in a cross wind.

So if you are talking big flags then I would say to go for it but only for around town.

Small trunk mounted type flags are no problem, tell her they will look great.

Now if you have a receiver hitch :whistling: you can make a plug in flag pole holder to put them on and take them off in just seconds. That way you can have the flags when solo and take them off for 2 up and both be happy.

I'm thinking of modifying my aluminum hitch insert which shows support for "Children's Hospitals" to include flag mountings in both the vertical, and 45 degree planes. I'm not certain of flag sizes but probably not really large as they are short lived along with the other concerns at speed.

Those large lights on either side of the stock tail light are Harley lights, a little hard to find these days and normally expensive.

if anyone finds a set and wants an easy no mess way to connect them up, I have just the ticket for you.

Freebird used them on the bike he just finished setting, really makes it easy.