IGNORED

Chrome oil cap problem

Freebird

Have any of you replaced the oil filler cap with the Yamaha accessories chrome cap number STR-4NK27-14-01? I ordered one from a seller off Ebay. It was new and still in the sealed Yamaha package. Though it looked right and if you butted the threaded end up to the threaded end of the stock cap, the size and thread pitch appears to be identical, it should not screw in. It would just start and then bind. The old cap easily spins down. I even wrapped a rag around it and tried gently with a pair of channel locks but it wouldn't budge. Almost seems like the chrome plating on the threads is too thick or something.

The seller authorized a return but did not have another one so I've ordered one from a different seller.

Just wondered if any of you have tried this cap and had similar problems. Here is the part that I'm talking about.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600-2.jpg

I don't remember the part number but I did have a similar issue several years ago. I bought the chrome oil cap off the shelf at my local dealer, got it home and it wouldn't screw in. I returned to the dealer, they verified the part number was correct, so they ordered another one of the same part number and that one fit just fine. Go figure...

I had one on my Venture, fit properly the first time, as you suspect, probably a close tolerance fir on the threads and just a bit to long in he plating bath and you have an interference issue, best not to force it, try another one.

I have one of those, it fits but it is very tight, not easy to spin on/off. As everyone has mentioned think there are different thicknesses in the chrome. It has held up well tho, chrome still looks great!

Craig

Well I've returned the first one and ordered another. If this one is the same, I will just forget about it. Show Chrome also makes one that is made like the OEM original cap except chromed. I like the one from Yamaha but if this one has the same problem, will likely just try the Show Chrome version. I'm not going to keep ordering them until I finally get one that is right.