IGNORED

2000 royal star tourdelux

crusaderichard

I've just became the owner of this fine bike had a clutch sliping and put a pwn cluch kit in it great no more clutch but i'm experenceing a prolbem when i twicth the wick wfo i get a chuging sencion I talked to the dealer i got it from and he convinced me that it is luging and downshifting and higher rpms takes care of it is this something comon or is this a tuning problemant help would great

Thank You

Never owned an RSTD Richard so I dont whether or not they have a tach? Assuming it does not and trying to help: You could be lugging it,, what gear you in and how fast you going when you wick on it and feel it chugging? These V-4's are pretty torquey but not like V-Twin - in good tune they pull real strong right off the bottom and up to red line but - wicking on it in 5th at 10 mph and you will feel some chugging..

By the way,, :welcome1: to VR:group cheers:

Hi Richard and welcome these bikes do not have a red line but do have a rev limiter. They make there power through the RPMs. In higher gears it is not uncommon to get a chugging feeling when you twist the grip. Drop back a gear and twist it you will like the feeling then. I use 5 th gear on open highway but stay in 4 on secondary roads and 3 rd in the twistys. Just remember to keep the RPMs up and you will like how these bikes run.

Yes! Do NOT drive these fine machines like a Harley! They operate better and are happier with higher RPM's! 1st gear you should take up to around 20 to 25 mph, 2nd gear up to around 40, etc. Don't even THINK of using 5th gear at any speeds under 60 mph, the OD gear is useless at slower speeds! To give you an idea of just how fast you can really go with these machines, 3rd gear is suppose to be able to top out around 90 mph +!! I normally shift out of 1st at around 20, out of 2nd around 40, out of 3rd around 50, and into 5th at around 60...

As was mentioned, you can NOT over rev these engines, they have a built in rev limiter that is VERY obvious when you hit it!! It almost feels like you broke the engine sort of, it misfires, but you do not do any damage at all! The max RPM's for the engine are beyond the rev limiter.

Welcome to the site Richard!