IGNORED

Never a problem, now won't start?

Hey All,

Haven't riden in about two weeks, never an issue with the bike 07 RSV, 32k on the clock. Went out to leave for work and all it did was crank, then after a bit it sputtered and then started but only on full choke. Ran for a bit but never increased in rpm's as it does on choke, just slow running. choke in or throttle and it cuts right out

I'm perplexed...Thoughts?

Same thing happened to me last year and it was the pump. These have points in them that tend to go bad. Take off the side cover Under the seat and tap the pump with the blunt end of a screwdriver. If it starts clicking and pumping, then you will know its the points. If that is the issue, they can be replaced quite easily. Here is a video on how it is done: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gYH7EVbM8Y

Here is the point kit you would need: https://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/k-l-universal-fuel-pump-point-switch-kit.html

In my case, I replaced the pump with a new one :mo money: then replaced the points on the old one and kept it as a spare that I carry with me. It is a lot easier to just replace the pump if it happens again while on the road. I also replaced the fuel filter at the same time.

A lot of people just go with a cheap replacement pump, but you must ensure that the one you get has a stop valve in it so that you dont get seepage and then fuel in cylinders that could lead to hydrolock and then bent rods...:crying:.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the replies. As I was typing original post bike died in garage finished typing went out 3 mins max, started it and was running like normal????? Rode to work hope I'm not stranded later. Lol

Thanks for the replies. As I was typing original post bike died in garage finished typing went out 3 mins max, started it and was running like normal????? Rode to work hope I'm not stranded later. Lol

That is one of the first signs of the points failing on the pump, so you should take a look at them as you will be stranded soon.

Started right up after work, so I got home ok, will be looking to replace pump and filter

I can do some things, is it a job to have a mechanic do or can I tackle it, I am handy, just not sure how big a job it is

$145 best price I've seen for [h=1]K&L Supply Fuel Pump 18-5527 should I look at others??[/h]