IGNORED

Another DUH clutch question

I THOUGHT I WAS PAYING ATTENTION....

but I guess not so much.

I am replacing the clutch steel plates, friction discs and spring.

At the very bottom of the stack (furthest inboard) is a narrow black plate which I never removed because I couldn't get under it.

So I know it should be the bottom of the stack

Does a full steel plate go on top of this first black plate or the 1/2 friction disc?

reading the procedure in the library doesn't even mention this small plate and the picture of the empty basket is the wrong angle to see the bottom of the basket to know where they started from.

I think I found the answer in a 2nd gen tech thread....but would like confirmation to be sure.

The smaller black plate at the bottom is the spring plate..followed by the 1/2 friction plate, the smaller steel plate, a full steel plate and then the wire...RIGHT?

Edited by Trader

I THOUGHT I WAS PAYING ATTENTION....

but I guess not so much.

I am replacing the clutch steel plates, friction discs and spring.

At the very bottom of the stack (furthest inboard) is a narrow black plate which I never removed because I couldn't get under it.

So I know it should be the bottom of the stack

Does a full steel plate go on top of this first black plate or the 1/2 friction disc?

reading the procedure in the library doesn't even mention this small plate and the picture of the empty basket is the wrong angle to see the bottom of the basket to know where they started from.

I think I found the answer in a 2nd gen tech thread....but would like confirmation to be sure.

The smaller black plate at the bottom is the spring plate..followed by the 1/2 friction plate, the smaller steel plate, a full steel plate and then the wire...RIGHT?

Does this help?

1991 clutch color.jpg

Sort of depends on what you are replacing it with. If memory serves me correct there is a kit available that does away with the 1\2 plate and the spring,,, but that is only my memory. Seems to me that if you didn't get the 1\2 plate in the kit that maybe it's been replaced with a full plate.

Look at this from the tech library, http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?10518-Clutch-Upgrade , it is for a second gen but works for the MKII. I replaced my half disk and plate with full size ones and that did away with the wire that retains the half hight ones. I also scuffed up my plates with a cross hatch pattern with some fine sandpaper to give them a little more bit. Hope that helps but you can also refer to the service manual in the tech forum also. The one thing to watch out for is when you torque the botls down, make sure you use an inch pound torque wrench as it is a fairly small amount.

Rick F.