IGNORED

Oh crap!!!!!

Trader

I just had a look at the one on my lift. I can see where the plugs (buttons really) contact the covers. I'm still convinced their purpose is to support the cover. I seriously doubt missing one would cause any problems with oil flow - the oil comes to the camshaft from the bottom and the little that leaked out there really shouldn't do any harm. You can look through the open hole for any signs of galling on the bearing and that should help you sleep better.....

That plug is pretty good sized. Probably best to make sure it isn't in the oil pan. Like I said, I'd drain the oil first and see if it flushed out or ended up stuck in the drain hole where it could be dug out.

OK.....continuing saga.

I cannot for the life of me get the shim out of #3 inboard exhaust. I've tried quite a bit. For sure there is lots of clearance between the cam and the shim.....and I'm sure the tool is not on top of the shim.

So....any suggestions or do I have to pull the cam?

I don't see what help that would be really....

If I have to pull the cam, is there enought slack in the cam chain to be able to move it aside??

I realize I will have to mark the chain and cam position to ensure I get it back in the same tooth.

Sometimes they are tough. I assume you have the notch in the bucket oriented so you can get under it??????

On the 2nd gen I just did a couple were hanging into their buckets so tight I could not get my usual pick under them. I used a thin pick (almost like a needle) to push under the shim and create a gap the larger pick would grab so I could pry them out.

You do not want to pull the cam. And no, there is not enough slack in the chain. Pulling the cam will make a lot more work and the shim will still need to be pried from the bucket.

Stiction is a difficult thing....that thin film of oil (unless there is an actual blockage), like when you put a drop of water between two panes of glass, can be a bear to break sometimes....I think Carl is on the right track....do you have that notch oriented so you can get something under the shim? Sometimes brute force only holds the shim more tightly ...try a lighter touch and a slower motion....these old girls appreciate the extra effort.

If you were able to get the outboard #3 exhaust out then it means that the cam was in the right position.

Check again to be sure that even though the tool is not on the shim, make sure it is not touching the side of the shim as that will also lock the shim down.

DO NOT TURN THE CAM WITH AN EMPTY SHIM BUCKET!!

It is a real bear to get the lobe out of the bucket once it goes in there, and it goes in with no effort at all.

Yes sometimes getting them to pop is tricky. As mentioned less pressure is more and a sharper thinner point may help to catch the edge.

HOKEY SPAMOKEY,, Look at this gang!! NEVER KNEW THESE EXISTED!!! Here ya go Trader!! May wanna search Ebay a little more - thinking could be had even cheaper,, check it out!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-5-mm-6-LED-USB-Waterproof-Endoscope-Borescope-Inspection-Tube-Camera-5M-/371397959479?hash=item56790b1f37:g:xLMAAOSwHnFVrmD6

Thanks for the or info on the Endoscope just ordered one.:clap2:

Thanks for the or info on the Endoscope just ordered one.:clap2:

You betcha Bill - you are more than welcome my friend! I was so excited about it when I saw that Ebay ad that Tippy thought I won the lottery or something :rotfl:

I have looked at em for a longgg time but could never find em with a small enough end that you could get em inside the plug hole of small Honda ("C" plugs are tiny) + the prices always made it hard to justify owning one.. I noticed we can get these with 5.5 mm scopes and WOW are they affordable!! Also, the choice of cable length = wayy cool!! :happy34:

Hope they work half way decently, definitely worth a try IMHO..:happy34:

Another something I just noticed was a Harbor Freight ad in the recent Auto Trader mag.. They have that 1/2 inch drive electric impact gun for 40 bucks (think its usually over a hundred bucks) with the coupon!! I have a 1/2 Drive air impact but I gotta hunch the electric would be just as powerful and probably more handy for quick use.. :whistling:

A HAPPY TO TOOL IS THE ONE LIVING IN OUR TOOL BOXES!:banana:

You can also try blowing some air under the shim to pop it up, BUT BEFORE you do, stuff rags into any hole it could possibly drop into when it comes loose.

ANother thing you could try is touching the shim with the tip of good soldering gun (make sure you clean the slobber off it before you do thought), getting it hot should help release it.

Thanks Puc

Being north of the boarder we don't have HF but I ordered one off Amazon.ca.

it has a good picture but not for anything closer than about 1 inch. Any closer and its out of focus

Is he solder gun suggestion from experience or just a thought?

Trader,

No matter if you find the old one or not, it looks to me that I'd be important to replace it so the camshaft is lubricated properly. In fact I believe the manual says to verify that the plugs are all in place before you replace the valve cover.

Frank