IGNORED

Days gone bye.

uncledj

Great pictures. As a kid I worked at both a Phillips 66 and an Esso. Farthest I can remember back was paying 34¢ gal same as a pack of cigarettes. With each fill-up we'd clean the wind shield, check the oil, washer fluid and ask if they needed the tire pressure checked. Had the bell hose across the pump islands, ding ding had a customer. Learned alot from the owner who would let me help him work on cars. He had a 3 bay garage and did state inspections.

My Dad had a 56 Olds like in a couple of those pictures red and white two tone those were the muscle cars in those days. I got my drivers license in that Olds. Local service stations would engage in gas wars which would drop gas too as low as .17 cents a gallon those were the days.:beer:

Great pictures. As a kid I worked at both a Phillips 66 and an Esso. Farthest I can remember back was paying 34¢ gal same as a pack of cigarettes. With each fill-up we'd clean the wind shield, check the oil, washer fluid and ask if they needed the tire pressure checked. Had the bell hose across the pump islands, ding ding had a customer. Learned alot from the owner who would let me help him work on cars. He had a 3 bay garage and did state inspections.

Started working at a Sunoco station when I was 14, worked weekends. Like you said full service for every customer, remember running around like a nut with 4 cars at the pumps. Stabbing those oil cans with the pour spout, and looking all over the place for the gas caps on the different cars. The one hidden behind the tail lites on the 56 chevy, or the front fender on the corvairs??

Ahh those were the good ole days!!

Craig

I just remember everyone that came in got $2 bucks worth, think 200 sunoco was .29 gal. at the time.

Ya got me remembering now. Forgot about the gas cap hunt. Cadies also had the cap behind the tail lite in the "fin" most had them behind the rear license plate. And the give-away stuff like drinking glasses, kids juice glasses, coffee cups with either the gas co logo or the local football team. And the antenna logos, banners, balls, tails. And green stamps we use to give out greens stamps with a fill up. My mom loved those green stamps! And the uniform shirts with your name sewed on - in red :-)

Remember that tiger tail, when you had to have a "tiger in your tank" Yep green stamps were a big thing around here too, still have a couple old books full. I always think about how back then you would have never even thought about getting anything to eat at a "gas station" now you can get just about anything you want when you stop for gas? Times have really changed. Guy would pull in with a nail in his tire and we would drag out the plug kit and fix it rite at the pump, try that now?? Pop a new set of wiper blades on while they got gas too.

Craig