IGNORED

mysterious fuel leak

Guest erock1

Looking for ideas. My bike is in storage for the winter (northeastern Ohio). I did a routine check on it today, and noticed a dinner plate sized fuel puddle on the floor just in front of the rear wheel. The only thing I know of there, are vent lines. Not having time to pursue it further, nor tools or flashlight at hand, I had to leave it for now. When I parked it in December, I filled the tank right up full. What are the possibilities of it siphoning/venting there, enough to create a small puddle ?? It's not really dripping at all. I obviously

would have to remove the seat and battery to find anything in that area. Your thoughts ?? Thanks.

Never owned a 2nd Gen but, first thing I would do is make sure the fuel petcock is in the off position if your bike has one. Another thing you could do is slip something under your bikes kickstand to keep it in a more upright position if its not being stored on lift. While I am sure its possible for you to have overfilled your tank a little and for a little venting to be taking place, I would personally lean toward a float bowl over flowing and seeping some gas out of an over flow - having the bike more upright may help.

My 03 did that the first year I had it. Could not figure it out but heard from some on here about Seafoam and started using it. I give the tank a good dose and fill it up then go for a 10 to 15 mile ride to make sure that the new gas it in the carbs when I park it. I do go out and start it and let it run awhile each month while not riding.

Tank over flow. I did the same thing last year. Topped off the tank as full as I could to store it for the winter, sometime later that month after a couple of warm days, the gas expanded and ended up with a puddle under the bike. same place as yours.

My 03 did that the first year I had it. Could not figure it out but heard from some on here about Seafoam and started using it. I give the tank a good dose and fill it up then go for a 10 to 15 mile ride to make sure that the new gas it in the carbs when I park it. I do go out and start it and let it run awhile each month while not riding.

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

not unless the shock has been filled with gasoline......

Well that was the question I was asking, if you were sure it was fuel and not fluid from the shock...but I guess my question was not helpful....:confused24: will but out now and keep my thought to myself :confused07:

Be sure that a float is not stuck and seeping fuel into the cylinder. This will not leave a puddle, however I had a RSTD do this and I hydro locked that sucker and bent a rod. Instant engine knock. poor experience. Check your oil and be sure that no fuel is in it, just for peace of mind.

Bill

Be sure that a float is not stuck and seeping fuel into the cylinder. This will not leave a puddle, however I had a RSTD do this and I hydro locked that sucker and bent a rod. Instant engine knock. poor experience. Check your oil and be sure that no fuel is in it, just for peace of mind.

Bill

just got back in from checking things out closer. It appears that you nailed it on that guess. I tried to start it (just drove it three weeks ago) and it was quite reluctant. finally began to run very gradually, with a RICH exhaust smell. Cranked it over with wide-open choke. It backfired slightly, and began running on it's own, but not real smooth. It blew some gasoline out both tail pipes (maybe a tablespoon out of each), and smoked for awhile at the exhaust joints. I let it warm up good before I tried my luck on the throttle. Spun up nicely, but had a popping in the right side for awhile. After it was at running temp. I shut off the petcock, and instead of killing the engine, it actually began to run BETTER !! I shut it down for about 15 minutes, went out to try things again. Started right up great, and ran smoothly. No noticeable popping this time.

I think I was nearly at the hydro-lock condition !! One thing I did notice was that the connection boots below the carbs are badly deteriorated and cracked. Perhaps this contributed to the popping situation ?? Having never worked on one of these engines, this will probably result in a visit to the dealer for replacements and re-sync. I have no idea what brought all that on. Up until parking it, I had ridden it regularly without any issues whatsoever. Who knows.......Anyways, thanks guys for your tips and advice. It appears that the gasoline was seeping out the exhaust seams, where the mufflers clamp on, and became a SLOW drip. Never a good situation !!! If I had not gone to check on it, it would have likely FILLED things with fuel to the point of no return. Now I have to change the oil for fresh, because of a gasoline odor there. Your help has been much appreciated !!