IGNORED

Christmas Traveling wows-

Eck

Our Daughter (Tracy), her husband, (John), our grand daughter (Kristen), and our GREAT grand daughter (Willow) are traveling home (here to Huntsville, Al), to be with us and the whole family, for Christmas.

We just received a phone call from our daughter stating that they had a car accident and that their car is probably totaled.

She said everyone is OK (bruised up) and that the State Highway Patrol is taking them to a car rental place so that they can rent a car and continue on their trip here.

This type of news is NOT something I ever want to hear especially when it is so close to Christmas.

Some of us know that deep, gut wrenching feeling when a loved one is taken from the family so quickly, so PLEASE folks, make this Christmas a special Christmas by taking that extra minute and give every family member and friend one more hug, another kiss, and make darn sure you tell them that you love them... tell them "twice".

The kids wont be getting here until around 4am to 6am tomorrow morning now, but we will be out the front door and in the driveway when they pull in.

OH NO!!!!! So sorry to read this Eckster - Prayers Up for a safe journey rest of the way and for no residual problems resulting from the accident and BLESSINGS DOWN that they are basically all ok and your still able to have them home!!

This was another one of those posts that needs clarification on the "like" button response. I could not let this """Some of us know that deep, gut wrenching feeling when a loved one is taken from the family so quickly, so PLEASE folks, make this Christmas a special Christmas by taking that extra minute and give every family member and friend one more hug, another kiss, and make darn sure you tell them that you love them... tell them "twice".

The kids wont be getting here until around 4am to 6am tomorrow morning now, but we will be out the front door and in the driveway when they pull in.""

get away with a 100% LIKE Eck!!

Tip and I will be praying for you and your family Eckster, SO sorry to read this!

Our daughter just called again and said they are now in a rental car and are headed to where their vehicle was towed too, to get all their suitcases and stuff and then they will be heading our way.

I can only imagine how stressed she and the rest of them are about now, and dealing with all this and having our 11 month old Great grand baby with them.

Ha, I bet the great grand daughter is the only one who is in the "relaxed mode". Heck, she is probably sleeping right through it all by now.

EDIT: Added pictures of their cage that they just sent me.

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

7.jpg

Edited by Eck

Yep, I would say it's totaled, but, it looks like it done its job protecting them.

Do you know what happened yet?

About 10 minutes ago the grand daughter text'd me and said: (copy / paste)

We came up over a hill and there was a car parked part of the way in road. Mom side swiped it. All of the airbags went off and the front tire blew. The car behind us swerved and hit the concrete wall and then 5 mins after that another car hit the parked car.

Mom isn't being held responsible. The cop said she had no other option but to hit the car because there was traffic on the right side. And he was in the road. The guy has no insurance

And why does this not surprise me? :bang head:

Randy

What gets me Randy is the police issue a citation to drivers for NOT having auto insurance, and yet they "think" they have this so called "AUTHORITY" to let that same driver "get back in the same car and let them drive off "again" ..............with out auto insurance. WHo...or what... gives any officer this right / authority?

In my opinion;

1 - Anyone who gets caught with out having car insurance (accident or no accident), should be thrown in jail and the vehicle towed to a storage yard...no exceptions

2 - The arrested driver should then be fined by the judge, and assigned 30 days to acquire proper auto insurance, and take such supporting documents to the police station in his home town.

3 - The police can then issue him a document allowing the storage yard to release his vehicle, or the drivers automatically can be arrested for contempt of court if he doesn't show up within that 30 days.

4 - The storage yard can release this vehicle when provided with the proper documentation "from the police department". (No exceptions to minimal exceptions may apply here)

5 - The judge should also assign a 60 day follow up against this same driver that arrested driver to report back to the same police department no later than 60 days after the original court date and provide "continued" supporting evidence once again that they have auto insurance on that same vehicle (or that it has been transferred to another vehicle if sold or wrecked).

I mean lets be real here....Allowing "any driver" to get back into his car without proper auto insurance is a lawsuit waiting to happen in my opinion against the police department/ city that the officer works for. What "law" gives any officer the authority to say who can drive with out insurance or who can...They don't have that authority......period..

I mean lets be real here....Allowing "any driver" to get back into his car without proper auto insurance is a lawsuit waiting to happen in my opinion against the police department/ city that the officer works for. What "law" gives any officer the authority to say who can drive with out insurance or who can...They don't have that authority......period..

I understand your rant considering the incident happened to family members - however, it's the same conundrum as taking the driver license of a convicted impaired (drunk) driver. All the taking in the world doesn't amount to a hill of beans as long as there is no repercussion when getting caught AGAIN for the same offense. The easiest way to prevent drivers from driving is to not issue a license plate to uninsured drivers.

As it stands now in Ohio, when renewing your car plate all you have to do is sign an affidavit saying that you have insurance - case closed As well, taking a drunks license doesn't stop them from driving drunk. More laws won't fix the problem, it goes WAY deeper than that . . . . .

Happy to hear that your family members were not injured in the accident.

A lot of people that do have insurance don't carry any more that the legal minimum which here in Missouri isn't very much. That was me when I was younger but then I realized I wanted to at least try to make sure I had enough in case I caused somebody serious harm. With 3 cars, a truck, and 3 motorcycles and a million dollar balloon policy on all of them it costs quite a bit every year but at least I tried.

I am so glad to hear that no one was seriously injured.

I hope you can still have a merry Christmas out of this.

The police issuing a ticket and sending the uninsured driver on down the road is not the decision of the police officer, the police department or the city, That would be at the state law level. I like your suggestions, write that up get a bunch of people to sign the letter and send copies off to all of your state representatives and governor, they are the ones that have to make the laws. No lawsuit would ever find a judgment against anyone for following the law regardless of how stupid the law is.

I understand your rant considering the incident happened to family members - however, it's the same conundrum as taking the driver license of a convicted impaired (drunk) driver. All the taking in the world doesn't amount to a hill of beans as long as there is no repercussion when getting caught AGAIN for the same offense. The easiest way to prevent drivers from driving is to not issue a license plate to uninsured drivers.

As it stands now in Ohio, when renewing your car plate all you have to do is sign an affidavit saying that you have insurance - case closed As well, taking a drunks license doesn't stop them from driving drunk. More laws won't fix the problem, it goes WAY deeper than that . . . . .

Happy to hear that your family members were not injured in the accident.

I agree @Hummingbird that my rant post was probably posted due to the incident of my family members, but I have always felt this way about cops letting non insured drivers return behind the wheel after issuing a citation for not having auto insurance.

I all reality though, I have never seen or heard of a cop letting a Drunk driver get back behind the wheel of any car after handing him a citation for a DUI.

The family made it home / here around 4:30am and are safe for now anyway. Thanks and Merry Christmas to you and your whole family too. Give them all a 2nd hug!

eck - I'm not a cop nor a lawyer but I guess my point is that another law wouldn't make any difference at all. The uninsured are going to drive and the drunks are going to drive, the only way to stop it is for the drunk and the uninsured to stop. There aren't enough leo's to police everything. . . . . just sayin'

glad they made it 'home' ok and I do hope you can now have a Merry Christmas

Glad you family is unscathed after that accident .

here in the uk the uninsured car would of been towed away and scrapped , regardless of its value . thats the law here .

a couple of weeks ago the police were outside our works , pulling over untaxed ( we pay an annual road tax here ) and uninsured drivers . confiscating their cars and making them walk , one of which was a mother taking her kids to school. i for 1 wouldnt want my kids in an uninsured car

Edited by Jamsie

Hey Eck, you need a nap. I bet you were up all night. :backinmyday:

Randy

Yea man I need a nap......But I have to take my neighbor across town to pick up his truck in any minute now.. Just what I want to do.. His wife is at work and his daughter lives about 20 miles from here so he always asks me to pick him up to take him some where, but I can't complain though, he does put beer in my man cave fridge and pays for our pool games (once in a while...or should I say seldom..ha).

Everyone is sleeping right now. By time I get back they should all be up and I will want to take MY nap then...ha.... What a nice way to see your family .

Hope you and your whole family have a great Merry Christmas Randy. I'll drink a cold one later for ya! :beer:

I'm glad your family is safe and hopefully no one was injured in the other cars.

I like this idea. Lets extend higher penalties to distracted drivers too (maybe vehicle impound...not scrap)

here in the uk the uninsured car would of been towed away and scrapped , regardless of its value . thats the law here .

Eck, I am also glad everyone is home safe. Give the 2 or 3 extra hugs. Tell everyone Merry Christmas & prayers for a safe trip back from your extended family here called Venture Riders.

God bless.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk