IGNORED

Can you desulfate an AGM?

Beau-Kat

Just replaced the voltage regulator on my RSV. Charging around 14.50v or so at idle now, so that's good.

Went ahead and got a new DEKA ETX20L AGM battery to replace my 4.5 year old DEKA ETX20L, which is probably still good, but I get an F03 fault intermittently during charging.

The charger doesn't turn off and will charge to full.

But I was wondering if you can desulfate an AGM?

My 2004 model smart charger that has a desulfate mode is a Vector model Vec 1090 A, but it doesn't have the choice option for Wet/Gel/AGM like the newer model Vector charger.

I've used it with success on lead acid batteries before, but unsure about AGMs.

Internet searching hasn't given me any good answers.

So...

Edited by Beau-Kat

Found a manual for you Vector VEC 1090A changer and it sounds like it wont desulfate a motorcycle battery as it states in the manual, "BATTERY RECONDITION MODE should only be used with 10 amp hour (Ah) or larger capacity lead-acid batteries" and from the manual it says use the 2-amp setting for motorcycles. Here is a link to the manual. http://www.manualslib.com/manual/625859/Vector-Vec1090-A.html#manual

Rick F.

Found a manual for you Vector VEC 1090A changer and it sounds like it wont desulfate a motorcycle battery as it states in the manual, "BATTERY RECONDITION MODE should only be used with 10 amp hour (Ah) or larger capacity lead-acid batteries" and from the manual it says use the 2-amp setting for motorcycles.

Rick F.

Venture batteries are rated at 20-21 Amp hour. The 2 amp specification is for charging not battery capacity. An AGM battery is still a lead acid battery, so I believe you can desulfate your old AGM with your Vector.

Just curious... Charging at 14.5vdc at idle isn't factory spec. You should get 14.2-14.4 above 2000rpm. At idle the reading should be a little under 12.6. Sulfating may not have been your problem.

Sorry about any confusion with my post. Wasn't too worried about sulfating. Just asking a question to try it with this old battery just for curiosity.

After 4.5 years on the old DEKA, I just bought a new DEKA, so I wouldn't get left on the road at some point.

My bike is a 2000, so the R/R had some years and miles on it and indeed failed.

I checked the 14.5v at idle initially after the first start-up once I installed the R/R and the new battery.

This morning, I started the bike and let it run about 15 minutes.

Immediately after start-up, and at idle, voltage began about 14.28v.

After the engine had run several minutes it had dropped to 13.9-14v. Revving to 2000 or so, voltage went back up to 14.3v.