IGNORED

Tci replacement

Last March we had to ride through a Florida downpour for 45 miles. At one point my headlight quit working, but the next day it was back on again. Now the bike's dash doesn't even light up when I turn the ignition on. Battery's good, can't find any bad fuses so I'm thinking the TCI has died after it's soaking. So is the Ignitech replacement TCI still the way to go?

Last March we had to ride through a Florida downpour for 45 miles. At one point my headlight quit working, but the next day it was back on again. Now the bike's dash doesn't even light up when I turn the ignition on. Battery's good, can't find any bad fuses so I'm thinking the TCI has died after it's soaking. So is the Ignitech replacement TCI still the way to go?

The failure of the instrument panel to illuminate is not likely caused by a bad TCI. Multitude of other items would be probable, but not a bad TCI.

Corroded connector or bad fuse holder are more likely. Good fuses in poor fuse clips (corroded, loose, broken) will show the same symptoms as a blown fuse.

Does it crank over?

If so, does it want to fire, but doesn't quite get 'er done to start?

Or is it dead, dead? No clicks? No fuel pump sounds? Battery posts clean and tight?

Check your fuses, and while your at it. Pop the front off and hose the connectors all down with a Electronic Connection Cleaner/Protection. I do that once a year on my front end for the lights, dashes, and every other connector up front (especially since the dash buttons for the display sometimes don't work, but a good cleaning fixes em) Just now doing it to every other connection while I'm at it now >.>

Yes I know you said fuses, good and your batterys good, but clean up the fuse connections, and the battery posts. BUT. BUT.

You said the batterys good........

I'm up with Prairie Hammer, DOES IT TURN OVER?

My Deka died two weeks ago. 12.8 Volts, but BUBKIS across the board for anything.w

WTH!!?? After reading ur posts, I went out to see if it would turn over. When I turned the key on everything lit up!!!! Now, I've been doing this same thing at least twice a week since it died on me in June and it never lit up once.

Now the issue is trust. Do I want to take this on our next winter adventure? (going to AZ this year)! I'm thinking not, I'll take my Beemer. The Yammy will have to be happy with short runs next summer until I feel the issue has been resolved.

This winter I'm going to be digging into the electrical connections and giving them a good dose of cleaner as was suggested. Dielectric grease on everything I can get to also.

So…..which one of u has the magic wand that got my bike to light up after being dormant all summer? ;-)

One thought here is have you replace the old fuse panel with a more modern one yet. I found that on my 89 that the original fuse panel fuse holders had lost their grip or spring to hold the fuse tight. Replacing with the blade fuses might help with this issue and give you a better piece of mind about the bike. There are numerous post about this in the archives on this subject.

Just a thought..

Rick F.