IGNORED

What the adVenture is on my bike ?? Rear shock mount...

Wow… So I went over and pulled the rear shock off of my 87. Had some great help from VideoArizona ( David) .

REAR SHOCK MOUNT 87:

IMG_9286.JPG

Got it removed and headed back to my place to put it on my 89.

After tearing a lot of the bike apart to get to everything, we start trying to remove the shock.

IMG_9287.JPG IMG_9297.JPG IMG_9299.JPG IMG_9300.JPG

Got the top bolt out pretty easily and started on the lower bolt…

WTF….what is on my lower assembly ???

IMG_9291.JPG IMG_9295.JPG

First I take off the bolt and it turns out to be this short bolt, not a long one like was on the 87 that went all the way through. This one hardly went anywhere but did screw into threads on the inside.

IMG_9292.JPG IMG_9293.JPG

Then the outside (opposite side) has some weird head things on them. The 87 just had one bolt that went straight through.

IMG_9294.JPG IMG_9303.JPG

After trying to figure out how, and what to remove David realized that we had two links where the 87 had one link and one bolt.

Is this some type of lowering link ?

1987 - IMG_9286.JPG 1989 - IMG_9303.JPG

This set up is TOTALLY different then the 87.

Anybody know how the heck I can remove these pieces?

I am going back to the 87 and removing what looks to be all the linkage stock parts and will replace it all with those. But taking these all off requires the removal, or at least loosening of the collector plate to get to the bolts :bang head:

A picture of Bill (Kic) driving his dad's Ford tractor....so cool...it runs good!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]102472[/ATTACH]

Its a 1952 Ford 8N with the rare straight 6 cylinder Ford motor. Makes changing a Venture rear tire real easy in lifting it up... :smile5:

Yamaha changed the rear shock mounts with the 1988 model till the end of production. I would also take the time to add grease zerks to the pivot points on the swing arm and a-arm. This will help in keeping everything nice and lubed in the rear of the bike.

I believe you can find where to do these in the tech section.

Good Luck

Rick F.

Wow… So I went over and pulled the rear shock off of my 87. Had some great help from VideoArizona ( David) .

REAR SHOCK MOUNT 87:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]102456[/ATTACH]

Got it removed and headed back to my place to put it on my 89.

After tearing a lot of the bike apart to get to everything, we start trying to remove the shock.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]102457[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]102458[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]102459[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]102460[/ATTACH]

Got the top bolt out pretty easily and started on the lower bolt…

WTF….what is on my lower assembly ???

[ATTACH=CONFIG]102461[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]102462[/ATTACH]

First I take off the bolt and it turns out to be this short bolt, not a long one like was on the 87 that went all the way through. This one hardly went anywhere but did screw into threads on the inside.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]102463[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]102464[/ATTACH]

Then the outside (opposite side) has some weird head things on them. The 87 just had one bolt that went straight through.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]102465[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]102466[/ATTACH]

After trying to figure out how, and what to remove David realized that we had two links where the 87 had one link and one bolt.

Is this some type of lowering link ?

1987 - [ATTACH=CONFIG]102456[/ATTACH] 1989 - [ATTACH=CONFIG]102466[/ATTACH]

This set up is TOTALLY different then the 87.

Anybody know how the heck I can remove these pieces?

I am going back to the 87 and removing what looks to be all the linkage stock parts and will replace it all with those. But taking these all off requires the removal, or at least loosening of the collector plate to get to the bolts :bang head:

In a recent post by someone about rear shock linkages. I looked up part numbers and I believe there are 2 different rear shock linkages (by the pictures they are physically different) and 3 different frame part numbers between 83-93

Does this help?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]102481[/ATTACH]

So I am now guessing that #25, the shaft #2 should be able to be "pounded" out after the bolt is removed. I tried that but did not want to damage anything since it did not move. I guess a little more force and a longer bolt to thread in farther while leaving enough sticking out to hammer in is what i need to do.

Thanks a lot..this gives me hope.. :happy65:

I am adding this to this thread so anybody in the future can tie into all the related threads. I had so much trouble finding info on my shock problem that I hope all this might help somebody else.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?113497-Who-really-knows-understands-the-1st-Gen-CLASS-shock-system

So, I am looking for information that will help me understand and solve my current problem. I have been dealing with what I thought was a shock issue, but might be the CLASS system. ( no errors on display)

Symptoms: My bike's rear has been sagging which actually resulted in my mud flap losing at least 3 to 4 inches of flap. The CLASS appeared to be working although it wouldn't hold air steadily. I took my CLASS apart and cleaned everything including the 3 solenoids.

I decided to replace the shock and have torn my bike apart.

I was talking to a mechanic friend and he said that a blown shock shouldn't affect the sag but would affect the bounce. He said a sag would be from a broken spring.

The spring and linkage on the bike is not broken.

So I put in the used rear spring from my 87 and tried the air system. It will not hold air in the Auto setting but seems to hold air in the manual setting. When I turn off the key, you can hear a solenoid release the air. So I played with it and it appears that the manual setting will hold air as long as the key is in the accessory position. If I turn the switch to on and then back to accessory then I can hear ( using a stethoscope) the loss of air in the CLASS area.

What am I missing here ?

Question: if the shock is good and all the air in the CLASS is leaking out because of key position, would the back drag ? Is my whole problem in the CLASS and not the shock ? :confused24:

• 1 month later...

In the spirit of an attempt to :witch_brew: and maybe get some input on this discussion from folks who know a lot more about the later model MK2 1st Gens than I do (have never owned or worked on one) I would like to add:

I think the frame issue's that @VenturousRandy was addressing was more of an issue with specific model(s), 83's I am thinking.. Certainly worth a look see to make sure the frame isn't kaput but I gotta hunch the issue is CLASS related.

I have owned a number of "linked" mono shock dirtbikes thru the years and discovered that the added rear suspention travel due to the dynamics of "linking" can and does translate into a reverse of that (resulting in an increase in the loss of sag) when a shock goes south. I am no math genius but I do know that 1/4 of an inch of sag loss on the shock of a non linked set up can translate into a LOT more sag loss on a "linked" system. Looking at the two set ups we are talking about here (87 vrs 89) the 87 is not a linked system and like the 89 is. The 89 may or may not also require a shock with more travel to accommodate the type of linked system it has - might not be a bad idea to check Yamaha Part Numbers and see if the two shocks are different.

While I do totally agree with the mechanic whose logic tells him that a blown shock should not affect sag because it is the spring that controls sag (carries the weight of the bike), IMHO he is missing something. Our shocks are air over coil shocks, meaning that air pressure does play a part in supporting the load carried by the spring. That is why your bike will raise and lower when you add or release air. Also, most modern dirtbikes use a "damping" form dynamics with another gas in their rear shocks, Nitrogen is used for this. I have never torn a Venture rear shock apart but it would not surprise me to find out that our Venture rear shocks are also Nitrogen Gas charged for dampening but this would NOT have to do with the CLASS system that employs under 70 pounds of compressed air (Nitrogen used from dampening is usually charged at a much higher PSI).

Alllllll that said KIC,, YES - it is highly possible that the entire problem has to do with your bikes "Class" system and not the shock. It is highly possible that there is something wrong in the circuitry of the Class system that is telling the "release" air solenoid to release air. It could also just be a sticky or malfunctioning release valve but it sounds to me like the valve is not maintaining signal when you go from ACC to On on the switch.. Do you have a manual that shows you how to check the system, including the solenoids?

Well to update this thread and tie it into another thread I started when I was fighting with problem. Pretty much turned out to be the CLASS system. I think a solenoid was resetting and letting the air out when I turned the key to start or off. Here is the thread:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?113497-Who-really-knows-understands-the-1st-Gen-CLASS-shock-system