IGNORED

Saddlebags. Top load, or side load?

BigLenny

There are a number of nice touring bikes to consider if I'm going to replace my RSTD, but one thing that kinda makes me go hmmm is; side load saddlebags. Of course the RSTD has top load bags, and that's what my wife and I are used to, but I have a real concern of whether we would like dealing with side loaders. Often times when we're riding I'll need to stop and grab something out of a saddlebag, and it is so simple with popping open a top lid and grabbing something. As a matter of fact, my wife has been known to open a bag while we're in motion to grab something, or put something in the bag. It appears to us if we bought a bike with side loaders, the simpleness of getting in and out of the bags would go away. How do you folks that have side loading saddlebags deal with what I just described? Or maybe you don't really know the difference because thats what you're used to. Just wondering, because there are some mighty nice touring bikes with side loaders (Goldwing, BMW K1600GTL, BMW R1200RT, Victory Vision, etc.).

My take on it is that side loaders waste space because you have to ensure somehow that everything doesn't just fall out when you open it. This means space taken up by organizers, etc. or just not filling it up fully. If you don't mind digging for what you want a top loader is best. You can always buy one of your list of great touring bikes and then remove the bags and sell them. This should give you enough cash to buy good aftermarket top loaders or some of those super low priced Chinese ones. Maybe some aluminum panniers are what you really want.

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/1767/Pannier-Systems

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/shop-by-product/luggage-racks/hard-luggage/sidecases

I've had both as our prev bike was an '03 Wing.

I much prefer the top load as long as the lid is easy to operate and swings sufficiently out of the way. Having had many bikes with side bags, I have to say I do like the one's on the Victory CCT the best.

While the bags on the Wing were adequate for space, I did occasionally find it a problem when I needed to stuff them to capacity. Not so with the Victory bags .... they hold a TON of stuff! not to mention they are very easy to take off and put back on.

Side load removable bag on MK1 1st Gens. None better. Remove and take in room with you when traveling. Remove in 5 seconds if you keep the locks working right.

That brings up a good point Yammer,

If the side loader bags are removable so you can then lay them on their sides to open them, or cram them full, well, that would certainly help. But, it doesn't solve the issue of getting in them quickly while on the road, or at a quick stop. Hmmmm....

Side load removable bag on MK1 1st Gens. None better. Remove and take in room with you when traveling. Remove in 5 seconds if you keep the locks working right.

You can also remove the Victory CCT bags in less than a minute. Hooking them back up might take a smidgon longer....

Because the MK1's have been a mainstay for us for many years the clam shell side loaders have too. I always liked the side loaders on the MK1's because of the ease of removal (totally right there with Yammer) for using as suitcases but, even more importantly to me, is the ease of which they make the back tire accessible - I can have the rear wheel off Tweeks in about 15 minutes. This is a huge plus if your standing on 125 degree pavement and have a kind hearted local person waiting to take you to the nearest bike shop to get a new tire mounted. They have proven to be some what of a challenge to always remember to lock them after loading because they will empty themselves pretty rapidly if they pop open on the road. I have always LOVED the Sport Touring looks of the clam shells and found their narrowness to be a huge help when snake trailing thru the brush. Another one of the things I have always found to be kind of pain in the neck with the clams though is that constant battle of making sure nothing is blocking them from being able to shut. For some reason this seems to be more of an issue in our left bag (aka, Women's Health and Beauty Aids Department) - even the unruly cord to a Hair Dryer or a spare Skull Cap can be a nightmare, as besides causing difficulty closing, either one can cause a major leak into the bag resulting in a riding partner complaining about having to wear wet clothing. As in all things, there is a learning curve.

I can see where top loaders would have some huge pluses in that most of them allow for more storage area. I like the clams because they do allow easier access to the mess inside of them but top loaders can be packed by splitting up the Maintenance Department (right saddlebag on my MK1's) and loading the heavy tools and parts into the bottoms of the bags making a more evenly balanced load and a lower center of gravity. Also, I gotta say here, my FAVORITE look of all time as far as hard bags go are the old school Harley routine. The old design whose hard bags are held in a "basket" of chrome with "bullet" lights mounted on the rear rails get my vote as far as looks go. I have had several old HD's like this thru the years that were also equipped with a hinge on the leading edge of the cover. I also really appreciated the hinge as it kept the lid from taking off on its own adventure should I forget to lock it shut - I have also stopped and picked up a few lost lids from top loaders in my day . Because of my forgetfulness and tendency to get all geeky when getting ready to hit the road - if I am riding a scoot with top loaders, a hinged lid would probably be a good idea. @eagleeye stopped by not to long ago to show me his "new" V-Strom. It had some AWESOME Panniers on it (the previous owner spent some big bucks on that option :big-grin-emoticon:). While I have heard lots of comments thru the years pertaining to the looks of such (some folks think they are ugly - I do not), I LOVED em!! I like the ruggedness of having steel opposed to glass/plastic and the sturdiness idea. Almost an invite to go cross country in an off road fashion. Also the feeling of even if I did scratch em or dent em I could repair em pretty easily with a hammer and welder instead of using stickers and tie wraps:big-grin-emoticon:

Another one of my favorite "saddle bag" idea's is found on our little Honda Helix. The back end opens up revealing a pretty good sized compartment (ok, its not huge but after all,, it is just a scooter). I think if I were going to design the ultimate in usable Saddlebags it would be something along this line. A molded one piece unit that opens rearward to expose a huge storage area. Have removable lids on the outer shell (where normal bag lids would be) to access the upper area/shelf of the bags and then have the lower area accessible from the back door. Then have the whole piece be able to lift up on a pivot to expose the rear tire assembly for ease of tire swaps/maintenance.

Sometimes I talk to much:big-grin-emoticon:

Another one of my favorite "saddle bag" idea's is found on our little Honda Helix. The back end opens up revealing a pretty good sized compartment (ok, its not huge but after all,, it is just a scooter). I think if I were going to design the ultimate in usable Saddlebags it would be something along this line. A molded one piece unit that opens rearward to expose a huge storage area. Have removable lids on the outer shell (where normal bag lids would be) to access the upper area/shelf of the bags and then have the lower area accessible from the back door. Then have the whole piece be able to lift up on a pivot to expose the rear tire assembly for ease of tire swaps/maintenance.

Sometimes I talk to much:big-grin-emoticon:

Puc,

That reminds me. In September of 2012, my beautiful wife Teresa and I did a two week bike trip out west covering AR, OK, TX, NM, CO, UT, and AZ. On the next to last day of the trip, we left Sedona and rode north to Flagstaff, then east for the long ride on I-40 back to Little Rock. About mid-day we rolled into Gallup, NM to a Love's Truck Stop for some fuel and a short break. While my wife ran to the ladies room, I filled ole red up with fuel and then puttered over to the front of the store to park. I pulled up beside a yellow Honda 250 Helix. Kind of a funny looking little machine. Couldn't really ever seeing one before. Shortly, an older fella came waddling out to the Helix. He complemented my bike, then I, thinking that since it was such a small little machine it was probably a local get around ride, asked him if he was from Gallup and out for a casual Saturday ride? He shocked me when he answered "nope, I'm from San Diego, and I'm headed east to a scooter rally". I asked him where the rally was. He said Eureka Springs, Arkansas. I about passed out laughing! We're talking about roughly 1600 miles from San Diego to Eureka one way. Then what totally floored me was; he informed me he was 83 years old! Here's a dude 83 years old, riding a 250 scooter 3200 miles round trip across America to attend a rally. I told him in our two weeks of riding, we had seen some of Americas most beautiful sights, but getting to see him at his age riding that Helix across country was by far one of my favorite sites of the trip.

I still get a big ole goofy grin when I think about it. LOL.

Puc,

That reminds me. In September of 2012, my beautiful wife Teresa and I did a two week bike trip out west covering AR, OK, TX, NM, CO, UT, and AZ. On the next to last day of the trip, we left Sedona and rode north to Flagstaff, then east for the long ride on I-40 back to Little Rock. About mid-day we rolled into Gallup, NM to a Love's Truck Stop for some fuel and a short break. While my wife ran to the ladies room, I filled ole red up with fuel and then puttered over to the front of the store to park. I pulled up beside a yellow Honda 250 Helix. Kind of a funny looking little machine. Couldn't really ever seeing one before. Shortly, an older fella came waddling out to the Helix. He complemented my bike, then I, thinking that since it was such a small little machine it was probably a local get around ride, asked him if he was from Gallup and out for a casual Saturday ride? He shocked me when he answered "nope, I'm from San Diego, and I'm headed east to a scooter rally". I asked him where the rally was. He said Eureka Springs, Arkansas. I about passed out laughing! We're talking about roughly 1600 miles from San Diego to Eureka one way. Then what totally floored me was; he informed me he was 83 years old! Here's a dude 83 years old, riding a 250 scooter 3200 miles round trip across America to attend a rally. I told him in our two weeks of riding, we had seen some of Americas most beautiful sights, but getting to see him at his age riding that Helix across country was by far one of my favorite sites of the trip.

I still get a big ole goofy grin when I think about it. LOL.

Now THAT is cool Big Lenny and I can sure relate to how stuff like that is what makes for some AWESOME memories.. I bet those memories go both ways for the hero on the Helix - a lot of folks would probably just laugh at the whole idea, your response is priceless.:thumbsup: I always admire folks who do what they gotta do to get er done. That guy was probably having the time of his life out CTFWing on a Helix:big-grin-emoticon: - :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: for him!!

THANKS FOR SHARING THAT Lenny!

I so far prefer the top loaders. My soft bags were top load and the RSV bags are to. I use the vacuum type bags for taking clothes. Put clothes in, "burp" the air out of the bag and you have compressed clothes and more room. Slide into bag vs in finagle around and stand back up. That was one of the disappointments with the Victory Vision. A: bags are small and B: look to be PIA to load. Guess you would have to keep want to get to stuff in trunk or tank bag.

I have an 07 Goldwing. I purchased a set of luggage that is made to fit in the saddlebags and trunk of the Goldwing. When you stop for the night or just a gas stop pop open the saddle bag and remove the bag and take out what you need or take the bag in the hotel room.

I have an 07 Goldwing. I purchased a set of luggage that is made to fit in the saddlebags and trunk of the Goldwing. When you stop for the night or just a gas stop pop open the saddle bag and remove the bag and take out what you need or take the bag in the hotel room.

I do the same thing with my 09 RSV. The only drawback to the saddle bags on the RSV is the internal locking mechanism. It takes up a lot of space in the bag.

Okay, I've read some great info from you folks about how you deal with the side loaders, especially as it pertains to the end of the day and carrying the stuff in the bag to your hotel rooms and such. However, are my wife and I unique that we sometimes have the need to pop the lid open and take out or put something back in the bag at, let's say, a stop sign or redlight? It's times like that where I could see a side loader being frustrating to deal with.

There are a number of nice touring bikes to consider if I'm going to replace my RSTD, but one thing that kinda makes me go hmmm is; side load saddlebags. Of course the RSTD has top load bags, and that's what my wife and I are used to, but I have a real concern of whether we would like dealing with side loaders. Often times when we're riding I'll need to stop and grab something out of a saddlebag, and it is so simple with popping open a top lid and grabbing something. As a matter of fact, my wife has been known to open a bag while we're in motion to grab something, or put something in the bag. It appears to us if we bought a bike with side loaders, the simpleness of getting in and out of the bags would go away. How do you folks that have side loading saddlebags deal with what I just described? Or maybe you don't really know the difference because thats what you're used to. Just wondering, because there are some mighty nice touring bikes with side loaders (Goldwing, BMW K1600GTL, BMW R1200RT, Victory Vision, etc.).

Go top load Lenny that way your stuff doesn't fall out every time you open it.

Hope all is good out your way.

Okay, I've read some great info from you folks about how you deal with the side loaders, especially as it pertains to the end of the day and carrying the stuff in the bag to your hotel rooms and such. However, are my wife and I unique that we sometimes have the need to pop the lid open and take out or put something back in the bag at, let's say, a stop sign or redlight? It's times like that where I could see a side loader being frustrating to deal with.

Yup. I do the same thing. I'll even ride through the to go line at a fast food store and throw the sack I get into a saddlebag and away I go.

That's on the Vulcan 2000 with the Corbin Beetle Bags. It's tougher to do on the Gen 1.2.

On my old Honda CB900C I had put the Honda line bags not it. They were side load but removable. Once they were off easy to pack just like a suitcase. I do prefer the top load bags on my 1988 Royale. Much easier for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

OK, let me shed another light on this ... Nina (my wife) is almost always with me on the bike. Oftentimes we'll stop for a few groceries before heading home after a ride. Now Nina is the type of woman who just can't go into a grocery store for "just a few specific items" ... no, no, no ... she'll come back out with her arms full. With side opening bags, we'd NEVER be able to stuff all those groceries in without something falling out in the process. I know this coz we had a Wing and there just ain't no comparison when it comes to this LOL

OK, let me shed another light on this ... Nina (my wife) is almost always with me on the bike. Oftentimes we'll stop for a few groceries before heading home after a ride. Now Nina is the type of woman who just can't go into a grocery store for "just a few specific items" ... no, no, no ... she'll come back out with her arms full. With side opening bags, we'd NEVER be able to stuff all those groceries in without something falling out in the process. I know this coz we had a Wing and there just ain't no comparison when it comes to this LOL

Know exactly what chur talking about Silv,, that's why I carry a couple of cheapy little nylon backpacks in Tweeks trunk that I hang on her side loaders full of soveniors or food or what ever whenever necessary. Makes her an instant Bagger Bagger :big-grin-emoticon: