IGNORED

StarFan is being offered a new old car-what should he do ?

StarFan

In 2007 my father in law was trying to collect some unpaid rent from a guy. The guy imported new Jeeps from USA and sold them in Iceland. He was owing my father in law around 40.000 US$ in rent so my father in law took one of his then new 2007 Jeep Cherokee as a payment for the rent. Took it home to my mother in law and said:

Listen honey - I think it is about time that you get a new Jeep since your old one is 7 years old (2000 model) and this new one is excellent for you. My mother in law went outside with him to have a look at the car and without even opening the doors she said: NAW,,,,,Don´t like the color !!! And I love my 2000 model and I am not gonna trade - period !!

My father in law thought about this for a while and said to himself: Well, it is gonna start breaking down soon and then she will come to her senses. I will just store the car in my warehouse until she comes to her senses and wakes up !

Now it is the year of 2015 and just recently my father in law brought up this issue with my mother in law for the 50th time. Still the same answer: No, ugly colour and I love my old one ! Never gonna trade that one-period - never !!!!

Sooooo,,,,,,Now my father in law wants me to take it off his hands for a very reasonable price and payment conditions are "pay as you please, I don´t care" were his words.

We are talking about 2007 model Grand Cherokee, Engine is 3,0L Mercedes Diesel. Mileage: 2.500 miles !

Should I go for it ???

Sorry no pictures at the moment since I am at work in Norway but will post some when I get home in about two weeks - Man it sucks not to be at home right now !

Even though it has been sitting in a warehouse collecting dust for all these years, there are parts of a car that will hold up better being used regularly.

Expect issues with seals, tires, old fluids, etc. but then if the price is rite, by all means go for it. You can always repaint the ugly color.

Well, The car has been started and spun around in the neighbourhood every month through the years hence the mileage. It just came from the dealers workshop where it was inspected thoroughly and all and every fluid chanced and the whole condition checked. Came out with: 10.0 from the dealer so I think that in sense of dried out rubbers, seals and so forth I am pretty safe. Also it has been cleaned and polished regularly and looks like brand new in every aspect.

The color is Olive green and I personally like it so there will be no repainting required.

Looking forward to see it in person. Hopefully my wife will pick me up at the airport in this vehicle two weeks from now.

The story continues !

Now THATS what cha call a good Father-In-Law,, AWESOME !!:dancefool: OUTSTANDING MY BROTHER JONAS - "WE" DA MAN:clap2::clap2::thumbsup::thumbsup::big-grin-emoticon:

Sounds like a really awesome way to get into a really awesome rig Starfan, CAN NOT WAIT TO SEE THOSE :photographing:'s (you knew that was coming didn't cha :missingtooth:).. Only couple questions,, are there regular Jeep Dealerships in Iceland to do maintenance and repairs (:fingers-crossed-emo you and Gretta NEVER need em cause I love you guys)? I don't know a lot about owning/maintaining a diesel powered vehicle but have heard there is a little more to them in that regard than with gasoline - maybe one of our buddy lop eared varmints will point things out. What da heck brother,, gotta drive something,, MAY AS WELL DRIVE SOMETHING FANCY LIKE A "NEW" MERCEDES POWERED JEEP - FANTASTIC!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Jonas,, I thought I had remembered hearing something about a major recall thing on the Jeeps.. I was able to find the article below (in Wiki) that was the one I had heard about. You might wanna read thru it too but on first read it does not appear that the 07 Cherokee was involved (the Liberty was). May be worth doing a little deeper digging my friend, gotta keep you and that precious Gretta safe you know!!:thumbsup:

ALL THE BEST and CONGRATS!!

Puc

In 2010, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) launched an investigation into 1993–2004 model year Jeep Grand Cherokees which involves the fuel tanks of these SUVs. Because the gas tanks are mounted between the bumper and rear axle, a rear collision could cause the fuel tank to leak, causing a fire. The NHTSA claims that it has reports of 157 deaths resulting from fires caused by Grand Cherokees crashing. Also affected are 2002–2007 Jeep Liberty models and 1986–2001 Jeep Cherokee models, which totals about 5.1 million affected vehicles.[41]

In June, 2013, Chrysler Corporation responded to the recall, agreeing to recall 2.7 million Jeeps, though eliminating both the 1986–2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ and 1999–2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ from the recall. The recall will include 2.7 million 1993–1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ and 2002–2007 Jeep Liberty KJ vehicles.

Two weeks prior to this recall, Chrysler Corporation claimed that the affected Jeep vehicles were safe, though agreed to recall the affected vehicles later.

To remedy the problem, Jeep dealerships will install a trailer hitch onto the rear bumpers of Jeep vehicles that will protect the fuel tank if the vehicle is involved in a rear impact. If an affected vehicle is not currently equipped with a trailer hitch, one will be installed onto it, and older Jeep and non-factory aftermarket trailer hitches will be replaced with one from Chrysler Corporation. Despite the recall, the market for these Jeep vehicles has not suffered.[42]

Well, it is a Grand Cherokee LTD with all possible options. Comparing prices in Iceland against USA prices is not actual due to custom fees and so forth. Cars are in general 60% more expensive in Iceland than in USA.

The price for such used car in Iceland with around 90.000 miles is around 31.000 US$. My price with six years equal monthly payments without any interests is around 25.000 US$, = 348 US$ per month. No brainer in my eyes. Just gotta wait to see if the Boss likes it after taking a test drive tomorrow. Am sure her father will pull the right sentimental Father Daughter strings :) In the end it is gonna be her call as well as her car.

Now THATS what cha call a good Father-In-Law,, AWESOME !!Only couple questions,, are there regular Jeep Dealerships in Iceland to do maintenance and repairs (:fingers-crossed-emo you and Gretta NEVER need em cause I love you guys)? I don't know a lot about owning/maintaining a diesel powered vehicle but have heard there is a little more to them in that regard than with gasoline

Jonas,, I thought I had remembered hearing something about a major recall thing on the Jeeps.. I was able to find the article below (in Wiki) that was the one I had heard about. You might wanna read thru it too but on first read it does not appear that the 07 Cherokee was involved (the Liberty was).

ALL THE BEST and CONGRATS!!

Puc

Well you are right about that Puc - He is an awesome guy and has been more than supporting to me and my family as well as my dear mother in law.

Regarding Diesel powered cars then for the last 9 years or so I have had diesel powered cars. You are absolutely right about the maintenance. Glow plug problems, injector problems, high pressure injecting valve problems and the list goes on and on. BUT,,,not all diesel engines have this problem. Used to have a Izusu pick up supplied by my company that I got brand new. Never had any problems at all and only had to change the glow lugs at 140.000 miles. On the other hand I had a MMC Pajero jeep and had to change the glow plugs every 20.000 miles. Man I hated that thing.

Now in Iceland we have a Jeep dealership and I had a talk with them and they said that if there were any recalls on this year that had not been done to this specific vehicle then they would do it at no charge, but as far as they could tell there were no recalls. The recalls you are referring to were not for the 2007 Cherokee.

I am so lucky that I have a friend that used to be the repair shop foreman for the Jeep dealership in Iceland and now runs his own certified Jeep, Mercedes, Chrysler repair shop. He told me that this Mercedes motor the 3.0 Liter in the Cherokee is originated from the Mercedes Benz Sprinter Van and is one of the most reliable motors from this era. Said he never had a problem with these and generally they would run around 150 to 200.000 miles before needing new glowplugs or injectors.

Well now I am just waiting for tomorrows verdict :)

(Man, I had to write this messages three times after accidentally posting two times, then accidentally deleting both of them and,,,,,,now lets hope this one stays in ! )

(Man, I had to write this messages three times after accidentally posting two times, then accidentally deleting both of them and,,,,,,now lets hope this one stays in ! )

Something I regularly do when typing a "lengthy" post or otherwise is I'll press Ctrl+A (select all) then Ctrl+C (copy) ... that way if the page freezes or crashes or whatevah ... most, if not all, of what I was typing is in the Windows clipboard and I can simply Paste it and carry on....

I don't know if you have personally owned a Jeep Grand Cherokee,but I love them I also had a 2000 and it did everything I wanted for 8 years. It was 7 years old when I bought it and I sold it this summer to my wife's nephew and it still runs strong. Know wonder you MIL lovers hers. I like the olive green and at the price you are getting it for you should have a great car for a long time. Go for it.

Signed sealed and delivered.

I am told that Greta is smiling so wide that one can see her wisdom teeth while standing behind her.

What a drag not being in Iceland to have a look. Well,,,,two weeks from now they will pick me up at the airport and they better use the new aquired jeep.

Has most of the available options apart from rear view camera, like DVD, power seats, sunroof, leather and the list goes on and on,,,,,,,,,,,

3.897 KM = 2.420 MILES

Here are some photos.

Jonas

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a501/jonaslill/Jeep%20Grand%20Cherokee%20LTD%202007/Biacutelstjoacuterahlieth_zpsd9rfbnrb.jpg

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a501/jonaslill/Jeep%20Grand%20Cherokee%20LTD%202007/Framanaacute_zpsmqu1xurj.jpg

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a501/jonaslill/Jeep%20Grand%20Cherokee%20LTD%202007/Aftanaacute_zpswrowjl8f.jpg

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a501/jonaslill/Jeep%20Grand%20Cherokee%20LTD%202007/Center%20console_zpss0txchof.jpg

:ice_awesome-vi46644:ice_awesome-vi46644:ice_awesome-vi46644:ice_awesome-vi46644:ice_awesome-vi46644:ice_awesome-vi46644

WOW ZZZZZZ WOW WOW WOW:178: - that is GORGEOUS Jonas:guitarist 2::guitarist 2:!! THANK YOU for sharing the pics and all the best as Gretta, and sometimes even Jonas:big-grin-emoticon:, gets to drive that beautiful machine!!!:clap2::clap2::clap2::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool:

:ice_congrats-vi6886:ice_congrats-vi6886:ice_congrats-vi6886:ice_congrats-vi6886:ice_congrats-vi6886:ice_congrats-vi6886

For Jonas to turn that into a nice camo finish for where he lives would he not have to paint it white and add Ice cubes instead of leaves :snow::rotfl:

:think: I think that would be Greenland,, I think its Greenland that has all the Ice and Iceland that has all the Green :scratchchin: Of course that can all change if you and @Flyinfool ever get together on your :cold:ing and :snow: on a global rampage :doh:

:lightbulb: I wonder if Starfan's father-in-law is a fourth dimensional thinker who has been following you and Fool's antics on here and thats the reason he wanted to make sure his daughter is ripping around in a new Jeep.. :big-grin-emoticon:

Edited by cowpuc

:think: I think that would be Greenland,, I think its Greenland that has all the Ice and Iceland that has all the Green :scratchchin: Of course that can all change if you and @Flyinfool ever get together on your :cold:ing and :snow: on a global rampage :doh:

:lightbulb: I wonder if Starfan's father-in-law is a fourth dimensional thinker who has been following you and Fool's antics on here and thats the reason he wanted to make sure his daughter is ripping around in a new Jeep.. :big-grin-emoticon:

Should not be that difficult. Considering the winds at this latitude tend to go from west to east the modification should be quite simple. However since @Flyinfool has not been able to make his machine multi directional re-aiming NEE would leave you feeling neglected and there is just no way we could do that to you :no-no-no: